Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    haha the " caught" comment allways has bugged me to. it doesnt even sound right. or when some one says.... i seen 5 deers???? i dont know why but that sounds wierd too. elks deers. sounds better to me as elk, deer.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That's pretty funny. Just this morning a guy that lets me hunt his property asked if caught any deers. It drives me crazy. He asks me the same thing every time I stop at the house.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 55 Times in 8 Posts
    I always go cross-eyed when someone writes.... "I was stocking this buck".

"Stocking" is something a woman wears on her feet and legs.

"Stalking" is when a hunter sneaks up on an animal to "harvest" it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    how about people referring to elk as "stags"

I saw a stag when I was out west in Colorado... really? aren't stags in europe? haha.

or how about when people are clueless to what a deer is, vs. an elk, vs. a moose, vs a caribou...

I remember in college some girl at a party was like "oh oh look at the moose! on tv.... it was a caribou or elk... not a moose!

at least call it a reindeer... but don't call a caribou a moose or elk... lol.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    or... i seen a herd of moose

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 67 Times in 8 Posts
    This thread is awesome! I love it!!

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyMusky View Post
    how about people referring to elk as "stags"

I saw a stag when I was out west in Colorado... really? aren't stags in europe? haha.

or how about when people are clueless to what a deer is, vs. an elk, vs. a moose, vs a caribou...

I remember in college some girl at a party was like "oh oh look at the moose! on tv.... it was a caribou or elk... not a moose!

at least call it a reindeer... but don't call a caribou a moose or elk... lol.
    Actually all of them are subspecies of deer. Moose being the largest of the clan, and the Alaska-Yukon and Kamchakta moose being the largest of all deer on the planet.

A lot of people call pronghorn antelope "goats". And even their scientific name is antelocapra americana, not capra anything, so they are NOT goats. But I don't really get upset about that either.

And reindeer and caribou are the same sub species of deer, both are rangifer tarandus.

Of course the stag thing really isn't that big either. Red deer are cervus elaphus and American elk are cervus canadus. So that's not that much of a difference. As European moose (elch, Alg, elk, in the native language) are alces alces, and ours are alces shirasi, alces gigas, alces andersoni or alces americana.

Calling a elk a stag isn't taxanomically as wrong as calling a pronghorn a goat.

Either way I think it's kind of silly to get worked up over. Then again I hate the term harvest, with a passion so to each his own.

Ivory tip what do you call a herd of moose anyway? A flight? A bundle? A sack? A muster of moose?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    haha, have you ever seen a herd of moose? a large grouop of moose just chilling? and geezedel, you hurt my brain with all of that biological crap. im a redneck here give me some slack

Thanks
    Congratulations
    i belive they call it "yarding" not common to see large groups of moose together, however, i have seen a bachelor herd of 5 bulls together once and that was wierd.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 56 Times in 7 Posts
    I don't watch many huniting shows, simply because I don't think like many of them. One word that has made into the hunting world that I cannot stand is, "ATHLETE". Since when do you have to be an athelete to be a hunter?? When I was in high school all the "athletes" were at practice while I was out killing deer, now they all sit on their azz and watch football while I'm out hunting. You don't have to be an athlete to be an excellant hunter.