Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drhorsepower View Post
    One thing though is why are hikers allowed to go in and not new a guide? I can go tomorrow to Wyoming to go hike but not hunt a wilderness on public land without hiring a guide. That's ridiculous.
    And also completely backwards. Seems to me most hunters put in a lot more in terms of planning, learning, and preparation than casual hikers visiting Yellowstone.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Edelweiss and mtnguide,

Your arguments don't hold water when non-residents are allowed to do any other activity in the wilderness, but not hunting.

It isn't about safety, and it isn't about search and rescue. It is about protecting the guiding industry. I am glad there are guides out there, and I would hope inexperienced mountain hunters would utilize them for the sake of increased success and increased safety.

However, there are plenty of experienced backcountry hunters from all sorts of areas that are either experienced, or self-educated enough to safely and successfully hunt in the Wyoming Wilderness on their own. Thousands of them do just that in Montana, Idaho, and Colorado every year.

I work very closely with search and rescue in my area, and overdue hunters are a VERY common call. While backcountry inexperience is a common factor in those calls, state of residency is not, in my experience.

I happen to be heading out this weekend into one of the thickest concentrations of grizzly bears in the lower 48, and couldn't be more excited about it.

Good luck to all, and I am glad that while we couldn't agree on these points, we could remain civil.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bitterroot Bulls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    This in the end is the same situation as land owner vouchers here in Colorado and other crooked back door deals state Game and Fish agencies do all of the time. It is always about protecting a special interest whether it be land owners or outfitters. Funny though these things never seem to benefit the average DIY hunter. These rules are passed to pad the pockets of certain groups and hurt us. There is no way to justify this, all of these things should be voted on by every person that has purchased a tag in said state in the last 5 years and lets see how many of these regs are upheld or hold water. Are you going to tell me the guy that back packs in along the Arizona/Mexico border faces less danger from drug cartels than a guy around bears in Wyoming? Maybe we should mandate all of those hunters in Arizona be accompanied by a Border Patrol Agent. I say enough of the B.S and more common sense.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    As I stated before it is part of Wyoming's legislation and not going to be undone. It's actually been brought to court, like someone else noted before.

Bitterroot, what I love about this forum more than any other is that it is always a civil place.

In the end I am not a Wyoming resident today, and I might not get a job in a year back in Wyoming when I retire from the military. But I'll be able to hunt the wilderness as my father is a life long resident of Wyoming.

I hope I can find a job in Wyoming for my 2nd life. Our kids are too young to deal with us moving back to Alaska and living someplace remote. I wouldn't cry about Montana or northern Idaho either. And since I graduated from high school in Deer Lodge almost 20 years ago, Montana is still a 2nd home to me.

Wilderness horseback elk hunting is what elk hunting is all about. Using a 4 wheeler has always taken a lot away from elk hunting. I have done it, and I am sure with my father going up in years I'll do it again.

I wish guys like you, that live in Montana could hunt Wyoming's wilderness without the BS. But we both know it's probably never going to happen.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post

Wilderness horseback elk hunting is what elk hunting is all about. Using a 4 wheeler has always taken a lot away from elk hunting. I have done it, and I am sure with my father going up in years I'll do it again.

I wish guys like you, that live in Montana could hunt Wyoming's wilderness without the BS. But we both know it's probably never going to happen.
    I've only hunted it once, last year. It is really awsome country. Went to Thorofare, 33 mile & 9 1/2 hours by horse to get to camp. Unfortunately the hunting has really gone downhill since the introduction of the wolves in the park. Probably won't go there again as I am 71 years old now. It is said it is the most remote place in the lower 48, furthest from roads and towns. I am thankful I got to go and yes (really meant no), could not have done it without an outfitter.
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 10-18-2012 at 05:49 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 1 Post
    Blue dunn- Im a little confused why you keep seeming to refer to the guides and outfitters of not being residents of the state? Its true a guide does not have to be a resident, but i know guides that have been here for over 15 years that dont hold residency because they return somewhere else in the winter. As for the outfitter, If you can find an outfitter that makes a living in the western wyoming wilderness and does not live here, I would be interested to see who it is, and as a hunter I would probably not go with them. Just my thoughts. The outfit i work for has had their camp in the wilderness for over 80 years in the same spot, all guides are residents, and many outfits around us are the same. . just wondering where the mississippi comment comes from? otherwise i will be heading back to camp early A.M. tomorrow so if someone expects a response from myself i will not be around for the next 10 days or so. Happy hunting to all. I also agree with an above post, Its great to have a forum that people dont violently go after one another and instead can hold a decent conversation even if the view points are different.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Have a good ten days mntnguide. Be safe

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mntnguide View Post
    Blue dunn- As for the outfitter, If you can find an outfitter that makes a living in the western wyoming wilderness and does not live here, I would be interested to see who it is,
    I definately don't know very many, but I do know one who is not a resident....Jeff krueger BG345 who owns Wyoming Expeditions and hunts in the Thorofare area. He lives in Georgia.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you go to the Wyoming guides and outfitters assoc. paige, you will find that there are actually quite a few outfitters that are nonresidents. About half of them outfit the western side of the state in the wilderness areas.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    An interesting discussion to follow and I would also be among the non residents who are offended when seen as not capable to survive in a wilderness environment. I would have to call BS on that one. This law is money driven no doubt and I guess it's Wyomings right to make the laws that they feel work best for their state. That doesn't mean I have to like it.
    As far as the danger part goes, the FBI has once again declared the Flint to Detroit corridor as the most dangerous place in the United States. (Electric fences don't work there either, but nobody want's to go there anyway) A guide before you enter is highly recommended .......