Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The rule probably is about protecting the outfitters, and it probably won't change. Some of the outfitters have been hunting their area for decades. That being said you can still find back country hunting in Wyoming without having to be in the wilderness.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'd be more in favor of having strict food and game storage guidelines enforced and or a online class bear safety certification process option added rather than limiting it to just a mandatory guide guideline to hunt in Wyoming's Wilderness public lands. I'm not trying to make a dig at Wyoming, it is an awesome state but the mandatory guide rule to hunt Wyoming's public land wilderness areas does seem to be perhaps made for the protection of the guide industry more than for the protection of the public and their wildlife. I just don't want to see the "do it yourself option" to hunt on public land go away is my biggest fear.

There are inherent risks when one enters a wilderness. Everyone, hunters and non hunters alike that enter into the wilderness share those inherent risks. Bear attacks have a lot of variables, but for the most part I think they are due to increasing bear density to human ratios, bears getting surprised, reacting and protecting cubs and the bears loosing their fear of humans and seeing humans as possible food sources.

I'm sure we will learn in the future more on what works with hunting alongside with Grizzly bears and what does not work well as time goes by. Wyoming along with it's Game and Fish department decides ultimately how best to manage it's game in their states wilderness lands and I respect their decisions.

I'm thankful for this forum and for those folks on here. I find folks here to be respectful, helpful, encouraging and I've learned a lot reading the posts and threads here.

I'm also thankful we have a bit better advancement and innovation in transporting, tranquilizing and learning about Grizzly bears. I'm not sure I'd want to try these 1969 techniques. Happy trails everyone!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Wow!!! And they say humans are the smartest species? Thanks for sharing Kevin.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I remember being told that the rule was made when Rockefeller donated land to feds. I have been researching for reason but have not found anything yet.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyoflightmedic View Post
    I remember being told that the rule was made when Rockefeller donated land to feds. I have been researching for reason but have not found anything yet.
    Sounds a little strange to me. Why would the state come up with a law when the land was donated to the feds?
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Sounds a little strange to me. Why would the state come up with a law when the land was donated to the feds?
    I think it happened during the same time frame in the 1960s. Not that the two are mutually related.

Rockafellers dropped a lot of coin in Wyoming that's for sure.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    This law has and still does chap my hide. But I have moved on as possible and live within the law. I try and find areas that offer the wilderness experience w/o the designated wilderness classification.

It is about money. I have hunted one of the largest widerness in lower 48 (Gila). Obviously no grizz, but SAR would be an issue. I could hunt Bob Marshall, Frank Church, or River of No Return and other numerous/tough locations. Do grizzlies recognize wilderness borders in WYO and stay within to not encounter NR hunters? Of course not. Yes the greatest # of grizz are within boundaries, but are there grizz in areas without wilderness classification????? (Of course there are!)

It is very difficult to discern the difference between grizzly crap containing remains of Resident vs NR! LOL! Last time I checked, stupidity is legal in all 50 states.

There is a group who is petitioning to have the Rock Creek area (Bighorns) for designated wilderness classification. There are no grizz there. Same argument (RE grizz) does not apply? Should the same limitations apply if they are successful????

If it were not about money, the state would enact qualifications/certifications which would allow an NR to hunt in wilderness w/o a guide. EX A certified widerness survival course, a orientation on co-existing in grizz bear country, etc. And you know, I would even PAY to take those courses. Will it happen? No.

It comes down to a states rights issue for me. States have authority and a say on lands within their borders. (Even if they are federal lands) States can require you to have a hunter safety certificate. (Although they do not discriminate between R or NR). States can (And should) charge more for NR licenses. This is the way WYO runs within their state and it is their right to do so. Do I have to agree with it? No.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Actually there are several areas in Wyoming that are up for possible wilderness protection. There is another between Moose and Dubois.

States rights are a wonderful thing if you are a resident, and can be a pain in the ass if you are not.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    mtnguide,

I guess I don't understand the argument.

Girzzly bears in Wyoming Wilderness areas are more dangerous than those in other states? or outside the wilderness boundary?

They are only dangerous to hunters, but not hikers, photographers, miners, or fisherman?

I am quite comfortable hunting in Grizzly country myself, and I fully understand the risks of any wilderness activity. I don't think I need a guide to tell me how to deal with bears ... or moose ... or windstorms ... or lightning ... or steep slopes ... or flash floods ... or homicidal maniacs ... or any other number of dangers in the wild.

I have no problem paying extra for out of state tags, or giving residents preference on draws, but arbitrarily nixing public wilderness from non-res hunters for the protection of an industry just doesn't sit well with me.
    Bitteroot,
    I couldn't of said it any better. Has bothered me for the last 30 yrs.. National Forest is Federal public land. Not Wyoming state land. Why should Wyoming be able to tell you that you can't hunt Federal land ? The Outfitter lobby/$$$ for state is the main reason. There are grizzlies in Mt.,Id. and Wa. also. Don't see the same laws there. This is my 30th yr. in a row hunting Wy. and 15th yr. in a row hunting Cody area. I've seen and learned enough about grizzlies. I have a friend who has lived on the South Fork for 30 yrs. and he can tell you stories about grizzlies all night long. He walks right by them but doesn't look at them or bother them. Mtn. lion's kill deer in his front yard and he fears them more. Now he deals with wolves from time to time.Way too many and way too brave are the grizzlies from not being hunted for the last 43 yrs. or so. Common sense usually prevails.
    Jen, you are lucky not having to deal with grizzlies in the Bighorns !
    Last edited by HuntWYODon; 11-13-2012 at 09:35 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    We are a Republic, and the states have rights.

Wyoming's law has been challenged in court and found to be valid.

I think we are just lucky the rest of the USA doesn't follow a similar suit.

As hopefully a future Wyoming resident elk hunter, I hope to get back to hunting the Shoshone as a resident a horseback like I did when I was a kid.

Best part is I won't be sharing that experience with many.

I would think someone in California could understand why it is nice to not have 10,000 extra orange hats on the hill in the wilderness.