Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I too was surprised how affordable Alaska is. With a little research I already have one bear/deer/halibut trip booked and a caribou trip planned as soon as work slows. I'm a blue collar tradesman with two kids. Getting up there is definitely the $$. With some time spent in the regulations book and scouring maps it can be done. The hardest part for me is scheduling the time that it takes.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Alaska is on my bucket list, too. After reading this it seems more like a possibility. Kids make it hard to travel sometimes. We try to get a national park in for at least a week every year, so maybe I can combine the trips like the others said. I am not sure what I would do with 600 pounds of meat. That might last a couple years. That citric acid is a good idea. I have heard of hanging deer in a cellar or shed something for a week and then cutting the rind off. It helps to tenderize the meat I guess. I haven't tried that, no where to hang one.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    For the guys who are pressed for time you might consider flying up and renting a pickup from Airport rentals http://www.airportequipmentrentals.c...e_rentals.html . Another option if you want to bring your own truck/suv is taking the ferry out of Bellingham, WA http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/ Personally i think flying up and renting a pickup is the best option factoring time and $$. Although if you had an Alberta deer/bear/moose tag you'd probably be able to tag out off the AlCan during the drive up The Anchorage airport is super easy to go in and out of for hunting. They even have freezer space for game/fish for rent. Now carting a whole moose around the airport might be a challenge but it's been done by lots of folks. The regs can get a little confusing and it's a lot of area to cover. It can be a lot of planning to get sorted after you find out what tags you drew. Hell, I live here, and after finding out my wife drew a Tok Dall tag for this August I/we went into full on prep scramble (bush plane, getting gear list tested, range time, time off etc...). AK is a big place, the logistics of getting to the place to hunt seem to me like the biggest hurdle. The lack of roads make it tough to access. Plane, ATV, jet boat, prop boat, ocean shuttle, ferry, float hunt, truck, bike, and hike. There are so many choices it's tough to focus on one type of hunt. My dad always said, "if it fly's, f**ks, or floats, rent it".

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ALDERBUSTED For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good post Alder! I wish the best of luck to your wife this August.....
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I might be interested in going after caribou in the next 2-3 years. I'm definitely someone who would love to do it on the cheap and DIY. Not sure what that would run and whether a guy can drive from the northern US to awesome caribou hunting grounds or not.

One thing I know - I'm not driving to AK from North Carolina! That doesn't mean I wouldn't share the driving from MT, ID or WA. I'd just fly that far and help drive, which I love to do anyway.