Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This is definatly on my bucket list. I honestly think my wife would let me sell anything I wanted to head to Alaska and take a moose. I will probably start looking toward 2014ish not sure. I am trying to find out a little more information on the Grizz, Goat, and Sheep over there as I have alot of distaint family that lives over there and my grandparents own 20 acres off the Keni so I am looking for ways to get around the guide thing. My grandpas brother that lives over there sent him the article that was in the newspaper in Ancorage i believe about that 73" monster that was killed over there. I have still yet to read it and it is sitting on my fridge in an envelope. I will try and remember to bring the article into work with me and scan it in and post it. If my memory serves me correct I want to say the guy was 74. Definatly an awesome accomplishment for that guy.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Its on my list as well. I actually have a friend that is looking to head up there so that's why I was asking about the caliber. Reading your 7mm project BB, sounds like you used either a 160 grain accubond, 168 grain Barnes LRX, or 168 grain Berger VLD. So I am guessing a 150gr Remington Premier AccuTip shot out of a .270WSM will bring a bull moose down? Any thoughts? I looked up the ft-lbs at different distances for my .270WSM and they rival the .300 WBY Mag shooting 180gr. I personally thing my gun is sufficient, but really don't know. Never been to Alaska let alone seen a one of their bulls.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by tdub24 View Post
    Its on my list as well. I actually have a friend that is looking to head up there so that's why I was asking about the caliber. Reading your 7mm project BB, sounds like you used either a 160 grain accubond, 168 grain Barnes LRX, or 168 grain Berger VLD. So I am guessing a 150gr Remington Premier AccuTip shot out of a .270WSM will bring a bull moose down? Any thoughts? I looked up the ft-lbs at different distances for my .270WSM and they rival the .300 WBY Mag shooting 180gr. I personally thing my gun is sufficient, but really don't know. Never been to Alaska let alone seen a one of their bulls.
    I see this question all the time on every forum I have been on. To be completely honest a well placed shot no matter from a 270 a 300 a 7mm or a 338 would do the trick. Of course the larger caliber the more whamo you can get (to an extent)haha. I am a 30 cal guy myself but have friends that shoot 270wsm's religiously and swear by them. I want to go over there and hunt archery myself

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I see this question all the time on every forum I have been on. To be completely honest a well placed shot no matter from a 270 a 300 a 7mm or a 338 would do the trick. Of course the larger caliber the more whamo you can get (to an extent)haha. I am a 30 cal guy myself but have friends that shoot 270wsm's religiously and swear by them. I want to go over there and hunt archery myself

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Shaun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    tdub,

Your bullet would do the job just fine. I used 160 ABs. My partners used 300 RUMs, and the results were the same. One thing though, AK moose are HUGE. I mean, it is hard to explain just how big. I filled my empty chest freezer with over 600 pounds of CUT/GROUND MEAT. I know it is hard to believe, but they are a different creature than our Shiras. They are that big.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bitterroot Bulls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Now that weve got the baby at home the wife has been wanting to do family trips. Religiously I take off one week a year to hunt, but things have changed. She has been itching to go to Alaska and it has always intrigued me. We have found a middle ground finally and i think in 2013 ill be chasing sitka blacktail while she goes rafting with the half of her family that lives there( the other half would like to go hunt). And i will just do bonus points for my regular areas.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks Shaun and BB for your knowledge. It just further confirmed what I was thinking. BB, a shiras moose is the only thing I have seen in person and that was here in NV which needless to say is absolutely amazing. I first thought it was a horse till I got closer and knew if wasn't. I can only imagine how much bigger the Alaskan moose are. Thanks again gents!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    tdub24,

Your .270WSM will do just fine. I believe the the placement of that first shot is the most important thing. Moose are big but not terribly tough unless they get their adrenaline up. My favorite has always been a .35 Whelen but I've taken moose with rifles from .243 up to .375H&H. Just remember that your'e a few links from being at the top of the food chain up here and it will take several trips to pack a bull out. That means you will be going back to a killsite. If you hunt Montana or Wyoming much you are likely used to big predators, but be careful.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AKaviator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks AKaviator, I figured my rifle would be sufficient but wasn't exactly sure. I have never hunted where I am not the top link, so if I am able to afford the trip, I will definitely study up and get me some quality bear spray. Their will be something like 6 folks in the group so that should keep the packing out trips low. Once again, thank you all for the information.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    BB- Im impressed at the low cost of your hunt. I have been looking at the air svc's and Ill spend at least 4k maybee 6. My buddy and I have plenty of time to drive so ill have to look into that. Caribou is on my list too. If you have any advice feel free to lay it on me.