Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

units that allow four wheeler traffic

alrite guys iv always avoided these units that allow any kind of motor vehicle traffic cuz iv heard nothing but bad things about em till now, my buddy just went on his first elk hunt ever in colorado on a draw unit that his friend knows well and draws it each and every year, they just got back and my friend killed a 5by5 and his friend killed a cow they seen about 8 bulls and several cows how is this kind of hunt possible were there is so much traffic?? has any one else heard of this kind of luck ??

Thanks
    Congratulations
    your friands got lucky alrite, iv never heard of that much luck in a unit that has four wheelers in it , i would say its vertually impossible to do this kind of hunt
    Hunt hard, and trust your instincts

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You don't say which unit they were in. In all the National Forests here in Colorado there is LIMITED 4 wheeler use. There are a few that have dedicated 4 wheeler trails, but for the most part 4 wheelers must stay on the same roads that all the vehicles use. Ask your buddy how and where they used the 4 wheelers.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    it happens alot more often than you would think. if the area you are hunting in holds alot of elk it holds alot of elk, all there is to it. 4 wheelers and trucks wont scare them out of their beds or feeding areas. its when u stop that gets them alerted. also.... if its anything like the general elk hunt in some se idaho units you will have litteraly hundreds of hunters walking in the woods causing the elk to be constantly moving. i know that in idaho, in most units, if you have a loaded weapon on your 4 wheeler you will be given a ticket. ammo has to be in a seperate place than your person. ive taken lots of cows this way, even though its not my style of of hunting, often ill run into game while im headed to a base to hike from. we all agree that dragging game thats close to a rd is hard to pass up. but this seems to be alot of guys staple. these 4 wheeler rd hunters really bug when you are following the off rd restrictions just to see guys blairing up the trail with rifles on back.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    i believe they were some were near rifle colorado, and he said there were people ridding quads all over the place all hours of the day, i will also add, after about the 4th day of the hunt they werent seeing any elk wich i figure if u take advantage of ur chances u dont need the whole season hu
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    You don't say which unit they were in. In all the National Forests here in Colorado there is LIMITED 4 wheeler use. There are a few that have dedicated 4 wheeler trails, but for the most part 4 wheelers must stay on the same roads that all the vehicles use. Ask your buddy how and where they used the 4 wheelers.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    let me ask u this ivory, in ur experience do you think the elk would take pressure like this during first rifle and return to the area second season? i ask cuz im planning on taking a trip to the pagosa springs, co area next year and talked to a guy that said second rifle is better than first, is this even possible?
    Quote Originally Posted by ivorytip View Post
    it happens alot more often than you would think. if the area you are hunting in holds alot of elk it holds alot of elk, all there is to it. 4 wheelers and trucks wont scare them out of their beds or feeding areas. its when u stop that gets them alerted. also.... if its anything like the general elk hunt in some se idaho units you will have litteraly hundreds of hunters walking in the woods causing the elk to be constantly moving. i know that in idaho, in most units, if you have a loaded weapon on your 4 wheeler you will be given a ticket. ammo has to be in a seperate place than your person. ive taken lots of cows this way, even though its not my style of of hunting, often ill run into game while im headed to a base to hike from. we all agree that dragging game thats close to a rd is hard to pass up. but this seems to be alot of guys staple. these 4 wheeler rd hunters really bug when you are following the off rd restrictions just to see guys blairing up the trail with rifles on back.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    that was kinda my thoughts MT thats why my jaw dropped when he sent me the pic of the 5by5 , but heck like i say im the rookie in the elk huntin woods maybe quad areas is the way to go it jus dont add up to me
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Muley View Post
    your friands got lucky alrite, iv never heard of that much luck in a unit that has four wheelers in it , i would say its vertually impossible to do this kind of hunt

Thanks
    Congratulations
    dying to kill, all depends on the elk population in ur hunting area. where i generaly hunt elk there are so many elk that yes they will be there, if not them another herd. and second season im guessing is in november??? if snow the snow will play a huge roll if its snowed and it looks like a nice wallop is going to be moving through the mountain west. you have your high mountain elk and your lower elevation elk. the ones that hang out low year round are very use to traffic and shooting. heck last year we were getting ready to pack in for a 3 day bull hunt and not even 200 yards away from a popular 4x trail as we started our pack trip in we jumped a big bull from his bed that my brother shot, it scored 320. elk are smart critters but also i think there will allways be elk where we dont think we will find them. try it out, if you find some fresh sign put your feet to work. good luck.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    and second rifle hunt in my experince is better. snow or not elk will be moving alot more in late season feeling up on fat.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If he's talking second rifle season in Colorado, it is happening right now. Third rifle is in early November.
    DIY til I DIE