Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ultimate custom rifle question? What would you like?

I have been lucky enough to get stuck with the title Armorer in the military, though 99% of my job has to do with safety of flight gear, personal flight gear and emergency systems like parachutes, rafts, mountaineering gear, tents, survival equipment and oxygen systems. A squadron has to have someone to maintain and store firearms, and in Naval Aviation it is the Riggers.

For a long time I have been nuts about German and Austrian gunsmiths who build things like double rifles, mausers, single shots, drillings and vierlings (3 and 4 barreled rifles/shotgun combinations guns).

Depending on how my retirement job prospects come out, I am thinking about pursuing a internship with a custom gunsmithing outfit in Europe or someone like Dakota to fine tune my craft. And increase my machine shop skills.

If you could have anything built to your preferred method of hunting what would you have?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have several custom rifles now, a custom commercial Mauser in .300 Wby, a .220 Ackley Swift on a 03 action and a .22-250 on a short Sako. If I had my choice of anything, it would be a Doug Turnbull restoration of a classic Winchester. I love old levers, especially 1773, 1876 and 1886's. I would dearly like to have an original 1886 in 45-70 restored the way Turnbull does it. His craftsmanship is the best I've ever seen, especially his case hardening process. Add some exhibition grade walnut and then go hunting.

Now that would be my ultimate, classic elk (and larger big game) rifle.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I love levers too, but it's harder to get $30,000 for a custom one than it is for a double rifle. I probably won't be building them. I love 1886 and 1895 rifles.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    My goal is to build falling block rifles in Heeren, Hagn and Sidelever designs, mauser bolt actions with a mauser action of my own manufacture, Franz Jaeger style break action single shots and double rifles, and best of all underlever double rifles and underlever break action single shots.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    any thing that shoots sub moa gets my attention moa guns out to a grand are impressive but u start shrinking that group to 8inches or smaller buddy o boy thats a gun now!!!

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    dying to kill,

Do you shoot out to 1000?

I shoot F-Class every weekend out to 1400.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My 264 win mag fits the bill for me for flatlands. Between the original 300 win barrel and the replacement 264 it has taken 5 whitetail that average 162" , my best muley and antelope, and a bunch of coyotes and other varmints. I just have confidence that it will do it's job if I do mine. It's built on a Model 70 classic action, 25" stainless fluted barrel, custom thumbhole stock, Wyatt extended mag box, and rapid pivot bipod attachment. The light recoil and excellent ballistics of the 264 make it a work for me. The 9.5lb weight scoped and loaded make it easier to hold steady on a windy prairie, but heavy at the end of a long day in the mountains.

For steeper country I've got another M70 at the smith being re-built to 270 win. It will be my mountain muley rifle and back-up elk gun when it's done. It will be have a 24" #3 stainless fluted Pac Nor barrel, Mcmillian Hunters Edge stock, Leupold 4.5-14 CDS scope, and hopefully shoot 140gr accubonds well. Finished weight should be 8.3lbs including sling and ammo.

I already have a custom 204 and 6mm for predator hunting, so past that I'd like to have a 300 magnum as a dedicated elk rifle, but I only get to elk hunt every 4yrs or so. It may not be a custom, just a good shooting lightweight sporter with a good brake. If I get an elk tag before I get a 300 the 270 is capable with a well placed accubond.
    Last edited by mcseal2; 10-23-2012 at 02:53 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm currently in the business of getting this "perfect" rifle to come together. A little background is in order. I'm just a shade over 50. Since I was a boy of 11 or 12 I've been "into" guns. Done a lot with them in the last life time or so. Shot bench rest out to 400 yds. Trap to the point of retiring AA with a 23 yd handicap. Combat handgun run and gun. Firearms instructor. I mean overdone in a big way. It's been a love affair with the rifles too. I'd have to sit down with pen and paper and a fair amount of time to try to list all the factory rifles I've been through. Buy,shoot,fiddle,tune,load for,then ultimately trade them off and do it again. It's been fun,but time to move on one last time. I'm playing the preference point game. Planning hunts for big muley and elk in general from now till doomsday. A year ago I set out to build a long action M700 in 284 Win to be my do-all companion rifle from here on out. What a sweet heart too. 1/2 MOA easy with 150gr Noslers. Trued,bedded,lapped and 10.25 lbs! Too friggin heavy for serious mountain hunting. For me anyway. Currently I'm working with Red Hawk Rifles to get a short action M700 done up in 300 saum. The first of 3 hopefully. This one for me as my go-to mountain rig. One for each of my daughters in the not so distant future as graduation presents. Then a walking varminter in 22/250 as an early retirement present to myself. With a little luck and good management this next rifle to end all rifles will come together by next spring and be ready for 2 weeks in Colorado next fall. Fingers crossed!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeTikkas View Post
    I'm currently in the business of getting this "perfect" rifle to come together. A little background is in order. I'm just a shade over 50. Since I was a boy of 11 or 12 I've been "into" guns. Done a lot with them in the last life time or so. Shot bench rest out to 400 yds. Trap to the point of retiring AA with a 23 yd handicap. Combat handgun run and gun. Firearms instructor. I mean overdone in a big way. It's been a love affair with the rifles too. I'd have to sit down with pen and paper and a fair amount of time to try to list all the factory rifles I've been through. Buy,shoot,fiddle,tune,load for,then ultimately trade them off and do it again. It's been fun,but time to move on one last time. I'm playing the preference point game. Planning hunts for big muley and elk in general from now till doomsday. A year ago I set out to build a long action M700 in 284 Win to be my do-all companion rifle from here on out. What a sweet heart too. 1/2 MOA easy with 150gr Noslers. Trued,bedded,lapped and 10.25 lbs! Too friggin heavy for serious mountain hunting. For me anyway. Currently I'm working with Red Hawk Rifles to get a short action M700 done up in 300 saum. The first of 3 hopefully. This one for me as my go-to mountain rig. One for each of my daughters in the not so distant future as graduation presents. Then a walking varminter in 22/250 as an early retirement present to myself. With a little luck and good management this next rifle to end all rifles will come together by next spring and be ready for 2 weeks in Colorado next fall. Fingers crossed!
    Just wondering with your expierence, which rifle (Out of the box) has performed the best for you?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    My dream rifle would have to be almost anything built on a mauser action by Jerry Fisher of Montana. I have one rifle stocked by him and have seen several others that he built. I would probably have it in a 30-06 or .280.
    However, my dream exceeds my finances!