Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    I love these dream gear threads.

I think I would go with a Forbes NULA in 7mm Rem Mag or 300 Winny.

Top it with high end glass like Kahles/Swaro/Zeiss/Premier with a drop reticle system in 2-10 or 3-12ish config, and I would be set.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AKaviator View Post
    My dream rifle would have to be almost anything built on a mauser action by Jerry Fisher of Montana. I have one rifle stocked by him and have seen several others that he built. I would probably have it in a 30-06 or .280.
    However, my dream exceeds my finances!
    Jerry Fisher is one of the best stockmakers in the world. And he's a nice guy to boot. There is another Montana stockmaker who's a little more famous who's isn't a very nice guy in person.

My goal would be to offer four stock choices in design;

A mild monte-carlo

A bavarian hump back stock

A classic American style open grip stock like a Dakota model 10

And in bolt rifles only a thumbhole like Harry Lawson's stocks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Eberle View Post
    Just wondering with your expierence, which rifle (Out of the box) has performed the best for you?
    Wow. At a glance,this seems like a harmless enough question. I almost blurted out an answer too. Then I decided to give it a little thought. I'd like to start with some observations then boil it down from there. First up is the Ruger #1. I flat out love the feel of the #1. They have always fit me fabulously. I'm a tang safety guy too. One that I was quite happy with was the heavy barreled 6mm Remington I hunted whistle pigs with back in the 80s. It was just plain fun to shoot. It shot very well for a #1 considering the trigger. Which by the way is what keeps me from putting it first on this review. They can be tweaked,but not cheaply or easily. More linkages than a John Deer B.
    Moving on. The M700 Remington has to make mention here. When you consider the shear number of them in service and the overall reliability of them they damn near got my vote as well. I've had a bunch of them from 22/250 to 300 Utra and they ranged in vintage from a couple old 721s to the latest and greatest. Accuracy has always been more than acceptable. Tweaking them is relatively simple. Are they the best out of the ox for accuracy? I'd have to say probably not. But they are darn close.
    This brings me o two other manufacturers that have to be considered. Savage and Tikka. There are some things about both of them that need to be mentioned. Savage has to be one of the greatest rebirths ever in our sport. They have really stepped up and delivered. Unfortunately they are just about the ugliest rifle to come down the pike. They floating bolt head is possibly the most revolutionary design they have to offer. There are things associated with the barrel nut too that lend themself to improved accuracy. At leas at the mass production level. Changing the barrel itself can be accomplished by anyone relatively mechanicaly inclined. They are just plain effective. Would I rate them as my #1 out of the box? Close,but no cigar.
    On to Tikka. Lots of good things to say about the Tikka as well. Simple design. Smoooth opperation. Single stack mags lend them selves to being very slick feeders. No sideways motion in the cartridge while coming from under the lip of the reciever up the ramp.
    Lots going on in a staggered mag just to get the round out of the box and into the barrel. The Tikka doesn't have to contend with any of this. Their barrels are by and large quite good. I've never felt the need to fire lap a Tikka. The 25/06 was pretty easily coppered up,but not like some other pipes I've run into in the past. I'm not super fond of detachable mags. Another thing to loose or in the case of the plastic Tikka version break. Something I don't need after sitting in a truck seat for 30 hours just to get to elk camp. The trigger guard as well could be improved upon in my mind. Bear in mind that any time they loose some plastic,they are going to gain weight. One of the best things about the Tikka is the handy feel and light all up weight. My 338 is 7.75 lbs field ready. Pretty sweet at my age. The stock is above average for synthetic factory offerings these days. Especially at the Tikka price point. Savage had them beat for a couple years,then decided to claim their share of the market. That was the last Savage I bought. I will not pay more for a Savage than a Tikka. I'm not sitting in the brush for 2 weeks at a time looking down at that ugly sucker.
    The Winchester model 70 has been good to me. I flat love the trigger. The time honored trigger. I'm not familiar with the latest offering. Give me a M70 with the old trigger and in about 5 minuets I'll have it adjusted to what in my mind is "Woods Perfect". Extreamly simple in design,and easily inspected visually. I like them. The field stripable bolt is another exercise in simplicity. Stupid simple and very effective. There was a period in time where the M70 was pretty close to extinction. Hence the quality slipped a lot. The front of the reciever on some of these rifles were anything but square. The overall fit and finish too was less than steller for a time. But,they have re-bounded in a big way. A little more money now than in the past,but I think worth it. Mine have always shot very well. Functioned as expected,and were pleasing to the eye. There is nothing any more attractive than a stainless/walnut feather weight M70.
    Now for your answer. If I boil it all down. Price,performance,features,construction,accuracy,a nd reliability. I would have to come back to the Tikka. Are they perfect? Nope. But when you consider price,accuracy,quality,feel,function,and available chamberings they are pretty darn good rifles. I've never had a Tikka that wasn't very well worth the price.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    If I could afford any rifle I wanted then I would probably be affraid of scratching it. It's weird, I don't think my horses would know a custom rifle vs. an off the shelf rifle when they are rubbing the scabbard on trees navigating the dead fall. If I didnt use it in the field and only at the range then I wouldn't have much use for it. I am happy with the ones I have and they all do the job when the wind isn't howling. I really love hunting but custom guns never got me real excited. If they feed , have a nice trigger, are topped with a leupold scope, and shoot then that is as custom as I need.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    So, okay...in an imaginary house fire, which one rifle would you grab before all others?

For me it's my Remington 700CDL in .375h&h. I've taken everything from a charging pine marten (joke, he wasn't really charging) to a charging grizzly (no joke, she really was!). I have other rifles that are far more "all around" than the .375 but It's an old friend that I've had since 1978 and has kept my freezer filled better than all my other rifles combined.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    A Ruger #1B in .280 Remington with a premium 26" barrel and a Leupold 4.5-14x40mm on top, a Zeiss Conquest, or maybe a fixed 6x42mm Leupold with the LR dots. Custom wood on it with some nice figure. You know what, I think it would be neat to have the wood be nutmeg laminate, checkered of course! I already have a Ruger 1B in 6mm Remington and a 30-06 so obviously I need a .280 Remington!! By the way both of the #1's I have right now both have fabulous wood in them!!

A Ruger Hawkeye, Winchester, or other Mauser style action trued and blue printed with a 24" barrel chambered in 6mm Remington. A nice slender stock similar to the Hawkeye stock (Ruger got that one really right!), and I would like it to be a nutmeg laminate that has been pillar and glass bedded. A nice Zeiss Conquest or Leupold on top would make me very happy!!

David
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ruger #1 rifles are among my favorite. Especially the 1B and 1RSI. I have owned about 6 of them. Some have been accurate, some have been not accurate at all.

The newer ones have been better than the ones I have owned from the 1970's and 80s.

Black pad rifles seem to be more accurate than red pad rifles.

But the wood isn't as good.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Hey check out this video of a new rifle and scope outfit they are coming out with. Laser guided bullets? I'll wait and buy one when they come out with a light mtn rifle version.

Last edited by bigshot; 11-27-2012 at 10:21 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm not sure what the op's question is anymore....
    My most accurate out of the box rifle is a Remington 700 .270 that I bought used to build a .280 ackley with. Decided to shoot it first and oh my goodness! I ended up restocking that one but I'll never be able to shoot as good as it does.
    My current build is a Sendero type 7 rm on a 700 action built in 1962. 7RM seems fitting for this one. When the gun fund has grown back to a useable size I can see a 6mm rem in a walk around varmiter in my not too distant future. With out a passion life can be pretty boring....

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am the original poster, and I don't really care if the thread goes for a quantum leap.

I love talking about custom rifles, your dreams, my dreams...... whatever.