Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks

Fitness and Preparations

Let's get this backcountry forum started for winter.

What are people doing to get in shape and get prepared for next season?

How many days in the gym, nights shooting bow, new places to find maps, new gear hanging in the basement, and so on?

I'm getting out snowshoeing a few days a week, the gym a couple times, and shooting my bow all I can. As soon as the 9 feet of snow melts I'm getting out and hitting the mountains to scout for the fall.

What is everyone else up to? Anyone find a new amazing work out, or exercise that melts the holiday pounds?
    People in SUV's and suburbs will kill more game animals than a man with a bow, ever could.

Thanks
    Pushups and Situps spread throughout the day, Jogging every morning before work, shooting 3 - 5 nights a week in my garage. We went out shed hunting this weekend, ended up using it as an excuse to jog in the snow with pack and heavy boots on, what a workout! I just bought some new maps over the weekend as well. I hate this time of year, I spend way to much time inside on the weekends, soon it should be warm, spring bear starts April 15th so Im going to head out to our favorite hole and chase bears with my stick and string! Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky and they'll start a spring Wolf season to huh? A guy can dream right?

Thanks
    Jogging 3-4 times a week. Shooting 5 times a week. No strength training yet. I am looking for a tractor tire to use from some home based workouts; for flips and sledge throws.

Thanks
    I am open for Ideas. I am going to draw my Elk Tag in utah this year and need to be in Prime shape. I am going to start training now and want to get imput on what excersises I should do to get in the top shape. What have you guys done. I know that I am going to run alot to build up my stamina but what else should I do. I have been thinking of doing short half mile runs with my pack on carring some weight and then stoping for a sec and shooting 4 arrows and then running another half mile. You know quick runs to get ahead of the elk and then shoot while winded. What else can I do to get ready.

Jeff

Thanks
    What I would recommend, this is what I do for my Goat and Sheep hunts, is to gradually increase the weight in your backpack as you hike around. I start with 30lbs in February, and build to 65lbs by the end of July. Go and hike, as fast as you can, 4 or 5 miles four times a week. This helps not only build stamina in your legs and cardio, but it helps train your back and core to deal with weight all the time.

In the gym my buddy turned me on to an exercise he called "man-makers". Grab two barbells, half the weight you do bicep curls with and hold one in each hand. Then, as fast as you can, you do one military press over your head then drop and do a push-up with the barbells in your hands. When you get to the top of your push-up do a side row with one arm, do another push-up, row with the other arm, another push up, then jump back up.
    Do that 5 times then drop to the mat and hold the Plank position for 30sec. Do that for a couple weeks then change to five reps of everything you do. 5 press, 5 push-ups, 5 rows, 5 push-ups, 5 rows other side, 5-push-ups. Kills me every time.
    People in SUV's and suburbs will kill more game animals than a man with a bow, ever could.

Thanks
    Nice workout. Thanks for the Idea. I will give it a shot.

Jeff

Thanks
    I run 2.5 miles per day Mon-Thursday, along with pushups and ab crunches. Friday I am usually hiking or hunting something, Saturday and Sunday I run 3.5 miles each day. I shoot about a dozen arrows per evening at my 3Ds starting in late winter/ early spring. I can usually hold my own with the "elk aerobics" in the high country, until I get that 80 pounds of meat on my back, that's when each step starts to become a cognitive process!

Best of Luck,
    Jeff

Thanks
    In the gym three days a week with free weights, and running/biking three days a week. Throw in some hills and gassers to increase power, and hopefully it all adds up to a backcountry bull on the ground in the fall!! Im also hoping to run my first marathon this summer too!

Thanks
    Man, reading these responses make me feel like a slouch. I play racquetball 3x a week, swim 2x a week and monitor my weight and dietary intake daily.

I hike all over during the summer with waders and a fly rod, but I don't really consider that training (just fun).

Thanks
    I see they have started a training contest on the "back at the tailgate" section of this forum. Training for backcountry "expedition hunts" is a lot different than most peoples training. The people who work at the gym I go to think I am nuts. Doing things no one else does for reasons they don't understand. Apparently walking on a stair master with a 50lb backpack is not normal.

Anyone else got a secret workout plan to make them hunting monsters?