Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I see they have started a training contest on the "back at the tailgate" section of this forum. Training for backcountry "expedition hunts" is a lot different than most peoples training. The people who work at the gym I go to think I am nuts. Doing things no one else does for reasons they don't understand. Apparently walking on a stair master with a 50lb backpack is not normal.

Anyone else got a secret workout plan to make them hunting monsters?
    People in SUV's and suburbs will kill more game animals than a man with a bow, ever could.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Heres the strength training program that I am currently doing. Its a great program and the results have been incredible so far. No plateaus yet. Also I run and do core workouts on Tues, Thurs, and Saturday. As far as running goes I try to get about 5 miles in per day.
    http://kevinunderwoodbowhunting.blog...ng-update.html

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 27 Times in 4 Posts
    I started doing crossfit sessions every 5x a week, they are kicking my but, I know if I can stick with it I will be shape by the time hunting season gets here, you can find some of the workouts on traintohunt.com
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Im lucky enough to not only work with my hunting partner but live 3 blocks form him, we definately keep each other motivated, sometimes its a little much but it will pay off in the end!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    arrowslinger, that looks like a pretty solid work out routine. I might borrow some of that. For myself, I work on cardio an legs a lot. I haven't really done a bicep curl or chest press in a while. Though it might look nice, I have yet to find a hunting situation where big biceps and a superhero like chest have done any good. I leg press twice my body weight and climb a stairmaster for hours. For me, it starts and ends in my legs.
    People in SUV's and suburbs will kill more game animals than a man with a bow, ever could.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    started running the first of February lots of pushups. after I got back from my DIY backpack hunt with my son I set around until the first of Feb. and said I better start now after reading Cameron's Back country bowhunter
    Every day they are getting stronger

Thanks
    Congratulations
    For those of you with access to a gym, and maybe the coin to seek out a personal trainer, I suggest you look for those trainers who are certifed by either NSCA or ACSM. I worked as a strength and conditioning coach at the division I level and the professional level for quite some time...guys/girls who are certified by either of those two organizations are at the top of their game. Tell them what you want and they can make a good, efficient workout schedule for you. If you can't find one, or don't want to pay the money, Crossfit or P90X are pretty good stuff.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Typically run 15-20 per week (weather permitting). Will ramp this up to 30-40 per week with better weather. On non-running days I try to bike and strength train. I also try to run several races in the spring and summer - 5ks, 10ks, and halfs - seems to keep me motivated to train. As mentioned above, hiking hills with a gradually increasing pack load is a great workout!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I will continue with the hour a day on the treadmill and 10-20 minutes circuit training 5 to 6 days a week until I can get out in the hills (the new snow isn't helping). Once spring has sprung I will start hiking with a wiggly 35 lb 3 year old in my pack.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 1 Post
    I find myself getting burned out quickly on treadmills or other indoor activities. My favorite workout is to load up my Eberlestock J34 with 40-50lbs depending on which rifle I have in it that day and head out into the pastures. Right now I'm going 3-5 times per week. The routes I laid out on Google earth are all 3-4 miles by their measurement, and alot more by the actual steps up and down, back and forth I take. I planned my route around the steepest rockiest hills around so my ankles get strengthened up carrying weight on uneven ground. I have weak ankles and have to prepare them for rough country. I have a spot on my route where I top the steepest hill and can shoot rocks back on the previous hill, so I take one shot each trip and really concentrate on making it count. I am pretty winded when I take it also, much like when hunting. My biggest issue is that I live at 1200ft elevation and the hills gain 200-400ft from the bottoms, so it is still much easier than the mountains.