Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 1 Post
    Interesting thread. I recently purchased a Geo tracker for hunting only. A few weeks after I purchased the tracker my jeep grand cherokee's tranny went out. So now I'm driving the tracker full time till I find another vehicle to get me to my hunting grounds (where I will leave my tracker). I had the tracker out a couple weeks ago hunting and got between 20-27 mpg. Surprising enough the tracker gets better mpg off road than on the interstate. It has a short wheel base which is nice and it does good on gas, but it isn't meant to drive 70+ mph or drive at highway speeds on a windy day.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I never really thought about a dream machine but have 2004 Ford F250 Crew Cab short bed 4WD diesel to get me there and back.
    Have a Polaris Razor that I use sometimes and either trailor it or put in in truck depending on how much room I need for gear.
    I had a 1999 Ford F150 extended cab short bed 4WD before that. It was a great truck but before that I had a 1982 Ford F150 short bed 4WD that had 305,000 mi. on it. It had been everywhere and would go most anywhere. It wasn't a truck you worried about getting scratched if you know what I mean.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I purpose bought a 99 Grand Cherokee v-8. I installed a 242 transfer case and a 4 inch lift kit, tires are Cooper Discover ST and tow bar is Blue Ox. A Dodge with Cummins or a Tiffin Allegro bus with Cummings get the job of towing the Jeep. Winch is by manual comealong and anchor is screw in earth, kinda primitive. I do have chains. If the Jeep is already in Colorado, I sometimes drive the GTO out there, problem with that is red color. Cops have just got to stop it, they usually write a warning, as a matter of fact I have never been written a ticket with a fine while driving it. Jeep gets 20mpg and GTO gets 26 mpg and dodge gets 20-22 until it gets to mountians, then it gets 25mpg.

Lawson Missouri ( 35nm North of Kansas City)
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    ...vanish...the pic of your vehicles....their Make and Model?

...and thanks too everyone so far that has responded to the thread...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    2009 Subaru Forester 28 MPG.Love getting the mean looks when I go where the big rigs cant go.
    Can you handle the challenge.... hunt hard but safe!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Currently own an 01 Cherokee Sport (last year they made the Sport). It's my third Cherokee -- second one was a Sport, first one was a 1979 AMC made Cherokee (which was probably the best designed/worst built vehicle I ever owned). Added some suspension in the rear but not much else -- also use a manual come along. If I can't find another servicable Sport, next vehicle will probably be one of the newer F-150s (looks like they are making them a little smaller than they used to, to my eye).

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 1 Post
    I have a 2000 or maybe 2001 Chevy silverado and a 2001 jeep grand Cherokee v8. I usually try to use the jeep for my hunting adventures.. Although my friends have a bet as to how long it will take before I roll it. I'm kind of an adrenaline junky which can get me into trouble....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by jenbickel View Post
    I have a 2000 or maybe 2001 Chevy silverado and a 2001 jeep grand Cherokee v8. I usually try to use the jeep for my hunting adventures.. Although my friends have a bet as to how long it will take before I roll it. I'm kind of an adrenaline junky which can get me into trouble....
    I used to have an 1989 Grand Cherokee. I loved that vehicle. It would go anywhere.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Murdy the f-150 works really well, but the gas mileage is not good. I f you go that route, the fx4 has advantages, check the difference between fx-4 and 4x4.
    Gen, the jeep handles pretty well unless you have to correct two times, then body roll can be a problem.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by xtreme View Post
    Murdy the f-150 works really well, but the gas mileage is not good. I f you go that route, the fx4 has advantages, check the difference between fx-4 and 4x4.
    Thanks for pointing out the Fx4. In the past, I've been a Jeep guy, with one old C20 thrown in there, so not super familiar with Fords, but I like what I've read about the newer F-150s. Not really giving up that much milage from an older Cherokee to a newer F-150, but these days, I guess I should be trying to get better, not worse, lol.