Thread: Goat fever

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Goat fever

Anyone else have mountain goat fever?

We are moving back in November of next year to the states. So I am only going to apply for points in Washington, Utah and Nevada again.

Here's my 2014 application plan.

Alaska as a resident on Kodiak, because of the backcountry cabins for October. But I am not 100% sure I can do that legally. I am not sure at what point I lose my residency.

Wyoming as a non-resident but I hope to be living there or Montana. And since I am active duty military PCSing for retirement I am not 100% sure when I lose my residency in Alaska. The PCS law says 3 months and your a Wyoming resident.

Montana as a non-resident for the Crazies. How many points does it take to draw in Montana for a non-resident?

Utah, Nevada, Washington and Colorado for points.

I am still not 100% sure I can apply in Colorado and Montana for points, without any certainty of not drawing a tag.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Montana has squared Bonus Points for the draw. So your name goes in once for the year and squared for your points. You can draw on year one, if you are lucky.

So with 0 points your name goes in one time.

With 4 points your name goes in 17 times (1 for the year, and 4X4=16 for points)

With 11 points your name would go in 122 times (1 for the year, and 11X11=121 for the points).

There is no points only draw, but you could put in for the Bridgers, and you would almost certainly just get a point.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bitterroot Bulls For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'll do that, I think Colorados program requires max points for goats. So Colorado should be a worry, kind of like Wyoming's sheep permits you have some planning leeway.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Bitterroot,

Can you explain the new 2012 Nonresident preference points to me? I bought one for $50, it only applies to the nonresident big game, elk & deer combo licenses. That is about all I know about it. I've never applied in Montana before, but would like to at some point. I've been to Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico & applied Utah. I don't no much about the Montana draw process. The info above explained part of it to me.

Thanks, Bryan

Thanks
    Congratulations
    eberle, I know you can buy points for the non-res combo license, but don't really know how it works from there. Your bonus points for "permits" for deer and elk work the same way that moose, sheep, and goat work. They give you more chances in the hat.

edelweiss,

The way I understand it, you can draw in CO with 3 points, but after that points substantially increase your odds of drawing. Still, you should be safe for a few years.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'll try to explain that to the wife, on why we are shelling out $4500 in non-resident goat permits for points only. To get $4000 back from local game and fish. Hard sell, but it's easier to beg forgivness than ask permission.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    If we don't end up moving back to Alaska, I think I'll continue to run as many goat permits programs as we can afford.

I might look at one of the commercial application services, but several of them have f'd up the dates and screwed people out of points. Kind of scary to comit to that.

I have been told that Idaho is typically a 3 to 4 year draw time for non-residents. Not sure if that is still true or not.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    eberle, I know you can buy points for the non-res combo license, but don't really know how it works from there. Your bonus points for "permits" for deer and elk work the same way that moose, sheep, and goat work. They give you more chances in the hat.

edelweiss,

The way I understand it, you can draw in CO with 3 points, but after that points substantially increase your odds of drawing. Still, you should be safe for a few years.
    Bitterroot, thanks for the info.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
    If we don't end up moving back to Alaska, I think I'll continue to run as many goat permits programs as we can afford.

I might look at one of the commercial application services, but several of them have f'd up the dates and screwed people out of points. Kind of scary to comit to that.

I have been told that Idaho is typically a 3 to 4 year draw time for non-residents. Not sure if that is still true or not.

No points in Idaho so it could be 1 year or 17. Depends on your luck.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    With the high cost for a NR to apply and so few goat tags, forget WA. I got lucky and drew one in 1992. I have 17 points now and still haven't drawn another one.