Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Orange

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Orange

A lot of folks don't follow the orange rule in their trophy photos.

I have also noticed it in major magazines, and on tv. Heck some of these folks don't wear orange in the field.

Regardless of how much safer I really think it makes me, I have decided it would be a stupid thing to get a ticket for.

Even while hunting antelope.

In Elk country, unless I had the only tag in the area. I can't imagine taking it off.

I have even seen a outfitter on tv take off a guys orange hat (Wyoming) and rub it against a fireburned tree to camo up the orange during a sheep hunt.

So if we aren't obeying the laws on orange, what else are we looking the other way on?

Just my 2 cents, not trying to start a war. I just thinks folks should do the right thing. Especially when they post it on a forum or on tv.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    For most of my life (until I retired 12 years ago) I lived in California. There is no Orange rule. A hunter can wear full camo (or for that matter any clothing) if they want for any type of hunting. Used to pack a deer out on my back occasionally and was always concerned about another hunter seeing the deer and ......well you get the idea. I ALWAYS carried an orange piece of cloth and covered the deer's head completely.

Better safe than sorry!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I always wear orange while hunting, but I always take it off for my photos. I just think it looks stupid. I also take it off every time I get into the vehicle.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Once, the animal is laying on the ground, you're not hunting any more.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by BKC View Post
    Once, the animal is laying on the ground, you're not hunting any more.
    You are until you get the meat out, and stop carrying a gun.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've always worn orange. Even when the state didn't require it.

What I don't understand in Colorado is why bow hunters don't have to wear orange? They hunt during the same time as muzzle loader and some rifle hunters are hunting. The DOW claims that game don't see blaze orange like we do, and aren't spooked by it. I agree with that, So, why don't bow hunters have to wear it? When I asked a warden that question. he just scratched his head, and gave no answer.

btw For those who hunt in Colorado. You know of course you have to wear 500 sq in of blaze orange. Did you also know if you wear a backpack that isn't blaze orange that you can get a ticket? If you cover your back with a camo back pack, or some other color other than orange. That you don't have the 500 sq in showing anymore. My back pack is blaze orange. You can also use a spare orange vest to cover the back pack.

I leave antlers on the ground. I have no use for them, but that not the case for most hunters. I've seen them coming off the mountain with no orange worn, and the antlers strapped to their back. Are they crazy!! You look like an elk to another shoot happy hunter that will shoot at anything.

Not me. I want to look like a big blob of blaze orange to any other hunter. Those who don't wear blaze orange when it's not required are foolish.
    Last edited by Old Hunter; 10-25-2012 at 09:29 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree that wearing orange keeps someone safer or seen better. Like others have mentioned even when the law says it's not required how safe are you? When turkey hunting spring or fall for instance, wearing orange is not required while hunting here in my state but what about the other guys out there hunting other animals, pigs, coyote, etc.. in season with a rifle. Just a thought.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I thought this was about wearing orange for your photos. Isn't there a difference between being legal and being safe. If you want to be 100% safe then don't go solo hunting. I will para phrase the rules for colorado. 500 sq inches of orange ( not camo orange ) worn above the waist as an outergarment, and a portion of that must be on the head visible from all directions. Where does this say you have to have an orange backpack. It also says that "we strongly recommend wearing orange in the field when not hunting". Once you have signed your tag, I don't see how this affects the photos or the trip out.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've noticed the same thing on tv shows and in magazines and always wondered why they don't . I don't know if its required on private property or not but I doubt it. States I know off hand that don't require it are Ca.,Nv.,Az.,Id., and pretty sure Or. and N.M. . I've always liked Wy. Idea of just one article of clothing.like a hat. Sometimes I wear a orange hat in Ca.. just depends where I'm hunting . I'm really surprised Ca. Hasn't imposed a law requiring orange with the population/amount of hunters per capita. We all know about helmet laws and government control over our lives because they know what's best for us right ?
    Last edited by HuntWYODon; 10-25-2012 at 11:52 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It seems that many have been brainwashed to think hunter orange is some magic safety shield. I hunt in many states each year, some that require orange and some that don't. I follow the law, but don't wear orange when not required. Some of the states without a requirement have the lowest accident rates. I have no objections to removing a hunter orange hat, for example, during a photo session. Most all photographers realize the hat can add shadows and hide the person's face. I don't go out of my way to avoid all orange in photos, but have no problem hanging a vest in the bush nearby and staging a quality photo. I'm not hunting at that point and have no worries about someone shooting into a area where I am conducting a photo shoot. I do hang some flagging tape from antlers, particularly in thicker, brushy country during a pack out. I see no reason to encourage others to shoot my direction, but I really think this concern is overblown by many without much hunting experience.
    llp