Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Orange

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by llp View Post
    It seems that many have been brainwashed to think hunter orange is some magic safety shield. I hunt in many states each year, some that require orange and some that don't. I follow the law, but don't wear orange when not required. Some of the states without a requirement have the lowest accident rates. I have no objections to removing a hunter orange hat, for example, during a photo session. Most all photographers realize the hat can add shadows and hide the person's face. I don't go out of my way to avoid all orange in photos, but have no problem hanging a vest in the bush nearby and staging a quality photo. I'm not hunting at that point and have no worries about someone shooting into a area where I am conducting a photo shoot. I do hang some flagging tape from antlers, particularly in thicker, brushy country during a pack out. I see no reason to encourage others to shoot my direction, but I really think this concern is overblown by many without much hunting experience.
    llp
    Very well said. I ride my horses without helmets and once in awhile ride my Harley without a helmet. I keep all things in perspective and not try to overthink what can be safe vs. what can be safer.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It seems that many have been brainwashed to think hunter orange is some magic safety shield. I hunt in many states each year, some that require orange and some that don't. I follow the law, but don't wear orange when not required. Some of the states without a requirement have the lowest accident rates. I have no objections to removing a hunter orange hat, for example, during a photo session. Most all photographers realize the hat can add shadows and hide the person's face. I don't go out of my way to avoid all orange in photos, but have no problem hanging a vest in the bush nearby and staging a quality photo. I'm not hunting at that point and have no worries about someone shooting into a area where I am conducting a photo shoot. I do hang some flagging tape from antlers, particularly in thicker, brushy country during a pack out. I see no reason to encourage others to shoot my direction, but I really think this concern is overblown by many without much hunting experience.
    llp
    llp, yeah I forgot to mention that. States that require hunter orange like Ut. and Co. have more hunter accidents than states like Az. and Nv. who don't but Ut. and Co. have far more hunters in the field. That could be part of their reasoning.
    I know, not about wearing orange during photo ops so I'll refrain fron posting anymore.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have taken 42 big game animals, I would guess my level of "experience" is probably somewhere in the middle.

Beyond that I know 2 hunters that have been shot by other hunters. Both are alive today, but I think that has more to do with luck than anything else. One on the elk refuge in Jackson Hole, and the other in Spain. The one in Jackson was covered in blood and packing out his bull elk. So his orange was ineffective. The one in Spain was wearing green.

I have seen several people quote "not wearing orange as safer". Every single state game and fish site I looked at this morning said that even in areas where Orange was not the law of the land it was highly recommended.

Several states had statsitics that supported that it was safer, here's one example.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/9186.html

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Only time i dont wear orange is when I am archery hunting. I got shot in the face with birdshot while dove hunting once and almost ended up in prison!! One tree line over from where we were setup some guys hiked in and were unaware that we were there. The birds flew past our treeline and they let loose. I heard pellets whizzing by and caught a couple to the face. One in the eye. Lost vision in that eye instantly. Luckily it came back after about a half hour. Right after the pellets came in contact with my face instincts took over and i ran straight toward them gun in hand. My buddy tackled me (thank god). And we resloved the fact that noone was at fault but both parties could have been more cautious.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by BKC View Post
    I thought this was about wearing orange for your photos. Isn't there a difference between being legal and being safe. If you want to be 100% safe then don't go solo hunting. I will para phrase the rules for colorado. 500 sq inches of orange ( not camo orange ) worn above the waist as an outergarment, and a portion of that must be on the head visible from all directions. Where does this say you have to have an orange backpack. It also says that "we strongly recommend wearing orange in the field when not hunting". Once you have signed your tag, I don't see how this affects the photos or the trip out.
    How could you be showing 500 sq in if you have the back of it covered with a backpack? Why not just put your jacket over the whole vest? You'd still be wearing 500 sq in. Common sense bud.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've been pelted by bird shot, or also heard it dropping all around me more than a few times while out bird hunting over the years. Luckily the shot has not harmed me like what hardstalk writes. The incident in my case wasn't that I was not wearing blaze orange, I was but it was other hunting parties that were hunting too close to me and not paying attention to their line of fire and what was in the near distance.

There are inherent risks when we go out and hunt or most any activity for that matter. The average person still has a much greater chance at getting killed from heart disease, cancer or a stroke than being shot and killed while hunting or not hunting for that matter. I try to follow the law and wear blaze orange when required. I also agree that blaze orange catches my eye and it is a safety tool. If I wanted to be seen by clothing alone by search and rescue, or seen a bit easier by another person hunting, blaze orange would be a good choice for me.

I understand why some states require wearing it, why they make it a law and when hunting why it makes sense for some folks to wear it as a tool to help aid others in seeing them a bit better.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    llp
    I have enough experience to know I don't like being shot at. Those who think blaze orange doesn't work might not have enough experience.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    How could you be showing 500 sq in if you have the back of it covered with a backpack? Why not just put your jacket over the whole vest? You'd still be wearing 500 sq in. Common sense bud.
    Measure you vest, front and back , most vests are 800 sq. inches, most Jackets are well in excess of 1000 sq. inches You can wear 500 square inches of orange, with your hat giving you about 75 sq. inches of that, and still wear a hunting day pack. Just read the law, don't put your spin on it and try to make everyone agree.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I didn't put a spin on anything. I called the DOW, and they told me to use a BO pack, or cover it with a BO vest.

Just passing on the info.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    In Oregon its only required that youths under the age of 18 wear it. It depends on where I am hunting if I wear it or not. There are places I hunt where very rarely do I see other hunters, I don't wear it. If I am in a popular spot, which I usually avoid, I will. I am glad it isn't a law in my state. I just don't like wearing it if I don't feel its neccasary, I'm glad we have the choice as adults in Oregon. I hunted in Montana once where it is the law. I took it off for the photos, I thought it looked goofy.