Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Orange

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Every year you hear about some idiot that fires his gun off in the direction of some movement... My thoughts are that even that idiot will see the orange before he shoots. If there's a firearms or muzzleloader season going on, I'm wearing orange.

Wearing orange looks a hell of a lot less stupid than wearing a coffin.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fink For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    old hunter, next time you shoot a big bull or buck shoot me the cords. ill come get the antlers for ya and yeah i deff wear orange when hunting a popular area but when packing in i dont. my bro was shot at several years ago while we were working our way up a ridge, he was wearing a thick brown coat. there are some crazy @$$ shooter out there (i wont call them hunters) this year i had a guy yell at me for not wearing orange, he said i was stupid cuz he almost shot at me. i said "i'm the stupid one when your the one that almost shot at something you didnt know what it was? you need to stay off the mountain sir" . goes to show we should wear orange. i think hunter ed copurses need to not be so liberal as to who can pass or not. some sort of comon sence rule of thumb should play into it.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by ivorytip View Post
    old hunter, next time you shoot a big bull or buck shoot me the cords. ill come get the antlers for ya and yeah i deff wear orange when hunting a popular area but when packing in i dont. my bro was shot at several years ago while we were working our way up a ridge, he was wearing a thick brown coat. there are some crazy @$$ shooter out there (i wont call them hunters) this year i had a guy yell at me for not wearing orange, he said i was stupid cuz he almost shot at me. i said "i'm the stupid one when your the one that almost shot at something you didnt know what it was? you need to stay off the mountain sir" . goes to show we should wear orange. i think hunter ed copurses need to not be so liberal as to who can pass or not. some sort of comon sence rule of thumb should play into it.
    That's the problem. Some Bubba buys a gun, jumps in his truck, and comes to Colorado to buy an OTC tag. He'll shoot at anything that moves. I want to put the odds in my favor. I don't see wearing a vest as a big deal. They don't weight much.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    [QUOTE

Wearing orange looks a hell of a lot less stupid than wearing a coffin.[/QUOTE]

Good point

Thanks
    Congratulations
    A family that elk hunts the same area we do had always been notorious for not wearing orange. Well a father and son had wounded a cow and had split up in the timber looking for her. The dad sees brown in the timber and figures it's the cow because it was the only thing in there. Shoots it only to find it is his dead son in a Carhart jacket. Super sad story but highlights the benefit of blaze orange and also knowing what you're shooting. I've never understood how you could do this as you not only need to know, is it not a human, but you need to know, is it an elk, deer (muley or whitetail), moose, bear, stump? is it a bull or a buck? and is it the trophy quality I want? After all this I can't understand stories of incidents like this.

Also, I always put tons of orange on my horse when hunting from horseback. Definitely don't need some idiot shooting my horse. Especially after that idiot shot and tagged a llama a couple of years ago in Montana.

I also really like some blaze orange upland game hunting. Your eye can pick up blaze orange really easily, even when swinging a shotgun.
    Can't spell scum without U&M... Go 'Cats!

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    You not only have to identify what animal it is, but you have to aim at the kill zone. Nobody could shoot a human if they were doing that. It just goes to show that guys are just shooting at something moving, and hoping it's what they want. Stupid!

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yes and Orange helps to stop some stupid.

I agree, I look better in Orange than a coffin.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    The DOW claims that game don't see blaze orange like we do, and aren't spooked by it.
    I have read what the biologists say and I am not too sure I agree 100% with them. Animals may not see orange as orange as they say, but they definately know something is different when they see orange. I believe it is said they see orange as white or grey. On more than one occasion I'v been sitting looking at an area I know holds deer or elk and have one or more step out where you can really see what they are doing. One of them will look at me and stare and never look away. Eventually they are all looking and then they split. I know I didn't move a hair usually the wind was in my favor, but it just makes me question the statement that they don't see you any different when you are wearing orange. But with that said...in my mind the safety factor alone justifies orange.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I have read what the biologists say and I am not too sure I agree 100% with them. Animals may not see orange as orange as they say, but they definately know something is different when they see orange. I believe it is said they see orange as white or grey. On more than one occasion I'v been sitting looking at an area I know holds deer or elk and have one or more step out where you can really see what they are doing. One of them will look at me and stare and never look away. Eventually they are all looking and then they split. I know I didn't move a hair usually the wind was in my favor, but it just makes me question the statement that they don't see you any different when you are wearing orange. But with that said...in my mind the safety factor alone justifies orange.
    I agree, I don't know what color they see but it is very different from all the other colors they see. When we can spot orange 500 yards away, through the timber, so can they.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I also have a bigger day pack that covers up too much orange from my vest. I picked up an orange rain cover you can get at sportgoods stores. I break that out particuarly when I am packing game out.

Granted I am not a big fan of orange but I grew up wearing it hunting and I keep it on during the "hero shots" afterwards. Outside of positioning the deer or elk for the picture, I like to capture what it was like during the hunt.