Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    BKC,

you are a funny guy!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Edelweiss, I enjoy this forum and the back and forth banter. There are a lot of good people on this site. Sometimes I may come across wrong but I mean well.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    BKC,

I enjoy the banter too, this is the only hunting forum I have found where people are still respectful of eachother.

I think I would rather be shot by a Greenie with a barnes x-bullet than anything other than FMJ bullet.

At least if they didn't kill you, the rest of the bullet would not give you poisoning.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Now, let's all pretend we're deer hunting in a subpar unit on the front range of Colorado. The 4x4 road is unfortunately still open. You see a half dozen people in orange (other hunters), but what is interesting is the DOZENS of people you are seeing bopping about in grey, brown and black. A girl wearing grey pants and a brown down vest jogs by and you catch her eye. She comes over, looks at you wearing your orange and carrying a rifle and asks "Are you scouting?"

Why is it that only hunters have to wear orange during the season? Why is it that if you are with someone hunting, maybe just lending your eyes, you don't have to wear orange?
    DIY til I DIE

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Interesting to see the different cultural aspects of this issue. Different regions have very different "traditions" related to hunter orange. Being old enough to remember hunting in plaid jackets as the standard, hunter orange is a "modern" fashion. Anybody who has only ever worn hunter orange can't be that old, or at least didn't hunt many years ago.

It is interesting to see the passion from Colorado residents on this issue. With one of the most stringent orange requirements, Colorado also requires hunter ed for anyone born after 1949. So apparently the hunter ed class doesn't sufficiently instill the concept of identifying your target well enough that lots of orange is still required?

I have nothing against hunter orange. Nothing particular against hunter ed classes either. But thinking that either one of these makes the hunting field safe is what is really foolish. Nobody (under age 62) can just show up in Colorado to hunt big game for the first time without passing hunter ed first. Stupid behavior isn't changed by government required classes, or clothing of specific color. I've been "watched" through a rifle scope several times when in Colorado (while wearing legal orange), and typically have a few strong words for these idiots when possible. And I expect that the careless idiot who someday shoots a hunter doing this will say he didn't see the hunter orange the guy was wearing.

Wear all the hunter orange you want, it is fine with me. I've seen several guys who looked like walking pumpkins, dressed head to toe in hunter orange. I won't be surprised to see some of these guys wearing orange boots and hunter orange underwear. If it makes them feel better, I really don't care. Just don't start making more laws requiring me and everyone else do the same.
    This whole idea of "feeling better" and imposing these "feelings" on the rest of the nation is the big problem in our country. The nanny state some of you advocate will have us all wearing bullet proof vests to go hunting before long. After all, it would make you "feel safer".

Hunting is a very safe endeavor. Most gunshot related injuries occur from accidental discharges, or otherwise unsafe gun handling practices. Relatively few people are actually shot by someone who mistook them for game. Everyone is a tragedy, but none more so than the guy who dies after tripping and shooting himself in the ensuing fall. Dead is dead. In the high country where I typically hunt I worry as much about lightning and falling from a cliff. I encourage people to take proper safety precautions. Wear orange when required. Understand your own physical limitations, and treat your firearms / bows/ muzzleloaders as the lethal weapons they are. But take responsibility for your own actions, and don't rely on some law or government action to keep you safe.
    llp

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by llp View Post
    Wear all the hunter orange you want, it is fine with me. I've seen several guys who looked like walking pumpkins, dressed head to toe in hunter orange. I won't be surprised to see some of these guys wearing orange boots and hunter orange underwear. If it makes them feel better, I really don't care. Just don't start making more laws requiring me and everyone else do the same.
    This whole idea of "feeling better" and imposing these "feelings" on the rest of the nation is the big problem in our country. The nanny state some of you advocate will have us all wearing bullet proof vests to go hunting before long. After all, it would make you "feel safer".
    To me, it's just a simple matter of personal safety.. If states didn't require it, I'd still wear it. Personally, it's just too easy to throw on an orange hat, or an orange vest.. While there aren't many hunting accidents, I'd be pretty disappointed in myself, if I became one of them, and I wasn't wearing orange. I really don't think you can deny that it makes you easier to see, and if someone can quickly and easily identify you as something to not shoot, why wouldn't you wear it? Cause it looks stupid? Cause the nanny state says you have/don't have to wear it? Those don't seem like great reasons to me.

It's kinda like seatbelts... They save your life, and the state (most of them) require you wear them, and it's easy to put it on.. Why not wear it? Cause it makes me look stupid?

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well, i'm definitely old enough to remember when all we wore was red and black plaid wool clothing, and no orange. It was a different time, and hunters were hunters who had been doing it all their life. Starting as a youngster with their dad. It's different now. Besides a lot more hunters. We have some trigger happy hunters out there now. They pay a lot of money to come hunt the western states, and by God. They're going to shoot something! I don't feel safe with them in the mountains the same time as I am.

So, I wear my orange now. Under it is still my red and black plaid wool clothing. What did you expect? I shoot a muzzleloader, and fish with bamboo fly rods and silk lines. No interest in modern gimmicks!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hunted in California most of my life until I retired and moved to Colorado. As you know, no orange required in Cailf.I never had a problem big game hunting during the 45 years I hunted there. Had several times that I got sprayed with shot when I was dove hunting. First time I ever had to wear orange was in Wyoming many years ago and then was just a hat...which I like. I personally don't think it mkes all that much difference in somebody getting shot or not. If some idiot is going to shoot you (or himself for that matter) orange isn't going to prevent it from happening.

I taught hunter safety in Calif and saw the statistics of hunters having a gunshot wound while hunting. the majority of the them were self inflicted. Don't guess orange would have made any difference!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    The stats you'll never see is how many who might have got shot if they weren't wearing orange. We just don't know that.

Seriously, what's the big deal in wearing orange? I wear a hat anyway. What difference does it make if it's orange, or something else. I can't see it when i'm wearing it. The same with the vest. To me it gives me a couple of extra pockets. Not a big deal to wear. I don't get some of you guys?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    You want bow hunters to have a whole month to themselves? Why? Are they special?
    I bowhunted Colorado when it WAS bowhunting season only; no muzzleloaders. Felt a hell of a lot safer than now. I have no problems with any muzzleloaders; just get back half a mile or so from the roads and you will hardly ever run into one. DOW ought to give the muzzleloaders the whole month of December, just like it is in Nebraska. And there's nothing to stop a muzzleloader from hunting during any of the rifle seasons....it is a rifle, isn't it?