Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

One shot kills??

I see on the numerous (and sometimes questionable) hunting shows on TV where the animal is shot while standing still, and when hit the hind legs suck up underneath, the animal falls heavily in its tracks, and expires with hardly a wiggle. Now I have made a lot of shots on animals in the past, and seen many more made. I don't recall this ever happening with a heart/lung shot. Does anyone know if these are spine shots purposely made (that is a pretty small target to be able to hit reliably) to make it look better for TV? Just an old hunter wondering.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 3 Posts
    Waddy,

I've seen the same thing on tv. I've shot maybe two whitetails in the lungs that have dropped in their tracks. I would say 95%+ usually run off that I've shot through the lungs. Every deer I've shot in the neck has dropped in his tracks! It is amazing what editors can do with video footage these days. I've got a friend that produces Jimmy Houston Outdoors & Full Draw Adventures. It is crazy what they can edit & fix!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 2 Posts
    IMO, I think they are using huge caliber rifles and it just blows the heart/lungs up dropping the animal in its tracks. For example, using a 300 mag on a deer at 200 yards is going to cause lots of damage. At the same time, you might have something with the spine shot theory. I too have never had an animal drop in its tracks, but have seen my Pop make a neck shot that killed the deer instantly.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ive seen a few whitetails dropped with lung/heart shot with 7mag in the last couple of years. Never really thought about it that much. I kinda rather see them run myself, then follow the red stained road to me pot of meat ha.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    I have shot somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 deer and probably as many antelope. They are not all the same. I've shot lots of deer thru the lungs/heart and lots of them have dropped immediately, lots havn't. Antelope are very different. Most of the ones I've shot go down very quickly, maybe a step or 2. I shoot a 25-06 with a 117 gr Sierra bullet....not overkill. I remember my Dad shooting a little forky in the costal range in Calif that probably didn't weigh 120# live weight. Shot him with a 30-06 at about 100 yards thru the lungs. He ran off without even showing signs of being hit. We found a handful of lung tissue on the ground. Found hin about 200yards away stone dead. They are not all the same!!

Larger game like elk are another story.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a friend who has guided for several tv shows. They film the animal dying, then reenact the shot to give the appearance of 1 shot, drop dead kills.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by tdub24 View Post
    IMO, I think they are using huge caliber rifles and it just blows the heart/lungs up dropping the animal in its tracks. For example, using a 300 mag on a deer at 200 yards is going to cause lots of damage. At the same time, you might have something with the spine shot theory. I too have never had an animal drop in its tracks, but have seen my Pop make a neck shot that killed the deer instantly.
    Agreed, I've had whitetails go down right now when hit with the .50 cal muzzleloader.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    Every deer I've ever shot with a gun was hit in essentially the same spot, right through the center of the lungs. I don't aim low for the heart, and I don't shoot for the shoulders. I've killed all my deer with a .270, and have never dropped one in his tracks. My deer go anywhere from 10 yards to about 75 before they pile up.

I think alot of the instant pile ups have to do with bullets that deliver a more devastaing impact, instead of just poking a hole through the animal. I switched to Barnes ttsx's this year, I'll let you know if I dump one in his tracks in about 2 weeks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 60 Times in 7 Posts
    I have been using my 25-06 for over thirty years now. When I started @ 12 years old my dad said "shot them in the heart/lungs" so thats what I did for the first few years and they always ran off. As I grew up and gained confidence I started shooting spine or neck, if I have time and had a good rest, No more running off. Elk, same thing just use .300 win mag. If I don't have a good rest and proper time I will always take the heart lung shot. In thirty+ years I have had one deer get up after the shot and run off never to be found, I have recovered every other animal I have shot, over 25 deer and only 5 elk. "IF" I take a second shot is taken it's usually not needed, or I miss, I believe the first shot is the best shot. There has been may animals walk away without the trigger being squeezed that I know I could have hit, but I don't shoot unless I believe the first shot is a kill shot.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Everything I shoot runs for a bit. Everything my wife shoots falls in its tracks.

Wish I could figure out what makes the difference as we're both shooting .270s!
    DIY til I DIE