Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I definitely agree that "they aren't all the same". I just thought maybe I could get everyone thinking about those shots while watching the programs. The ones I am talking about are very characteristic, i.e., that tell-tale sign where the hind legs instantly suck right up to the belly, and the head is thrown back as the butt hits the ground. I may very well be wrong (my wife will certainly attest to that!), but to me that is a classic spine shot. Please help me watch and see if anyone can come to a consensus. Not that it really matters, except for the fact that when trying to duplicate that instaneous kill shot, it can cause the inexperienced to go for the "bigger gun next year" syndrome until finally they are too afraid to even shoot the thing enough to sight it in. If they do shoot it, they flinch so bad they have difficulty keeping the hits in 12 inches at 100 yards. I'm sure not saying there are not those who are capable of shooting the big ones, and shooting them VERY well! Usually it is the ones with not much experience who blew a hind leg off last year and were told or decided the answer was a "bigger gun". I see this syndrome continually at our annual Sportsman's Club Hunter Sight-In days.

Oops, sorry, I got off on a rant. I'm still just curious about that particular kill shot. Thanks for all the thoughtful replies.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 34 Times in 5 Posts
    I did shoot one Blacktail buck right through the lungs that just tipped over and laid on his back with all 4 legs pointing to the sky. I shot it with my 25-06 with 100 gr rem Core-lokt @ abot 30 yrds, it was wierd!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have shot two deer that were flipped over on their back with all 4 legs pointing skyward. The first was a spike Whitetail in Louisiana that I shot with a Ruger 44 Carbine. His head hit the ground so hard it drove the spikes all the way into the swamp mud. Scared the hell out of me, as I thought it was a doe, until I pulled the spokes out of the mud. The second was a Colorado Muley that I shot with a .358 Norma Magnum (we were also hunting elk).

Last week I shot a Blacktail with a 30/06 Handgun. He was facing me at a slight angle angle. The bullet entered the right chest, went through the lungs, and exited the rear of of the left shoulder. He hit the ground like he was pole axed, and never moved. x 3 on "not all the same".
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The only way an animal will drop at the shot is if the central nervous system (CNS) is disrupted. A shot to the spine or brain obviously disrupts the CNS. A shot through the lungs rarely disrupts the CNS - However, no two animals and no two bullets perform identically. Sometimes a seemingly perfect lung shot disrupts the CNS due to "shock", but even more likely the bullet fragmented or a rib bone was sent into the CNS, causing the same disruption as a spine shot. It is relatively difficult to make head and spine shots for the average hunter under field condition. That is why heart lung shots are preferred. There is nothing wrong with the animal running a little after the shot, at least in most situations. A bigger gun through the heart/lungs won't generally increase CNS disruption, and won't ensure they drop at the shot. I've seen small deer shot with a 375 H&H run a bit after the shot. They are effectively dead on their feet, but without interfereing witht he CNS they still run.
    llp

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Conversely, I shot 4 deer and antelope this year under controlled conditions with head shots from a .243. Needless to say they all dropped at the shot, and it is amazing how effective the little 243 is at emptying the brain pan. These were cull hunts, and shot selection was chosen specifically to avoid any meat damage, and ranges were short to moderate. Don't expect an animal to ever drop at the shot with a traditional heart lung shot, and don't worry if they run a bit. They are still dead and you will have your trophy shortly.
    llp

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 34 Times in 5 Posts
    Any neck or spine shot I make is less than 75 yrds, most animals I have taken are under 100.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I always aim for front shoulder. Bust at least one shoulder and takes out lungs. I've had many deer drop in their tracks doing this when I have a broadside shot. I've had a couple elk do the same and many anteope. I've always used a Rem 7 mag and for last 8 yrs. a Rem 300 Ultra Mag. With Barnes TSX or TTSX on deer and lope's, sometimes bust both shoulders. I bet if you watch in shows, the ones that go down on the spot were hit in shoulder or spine. I bet 1/3 of 60 plus bucks (deer) I've shot dropped on the spot. I don't want then to suffer if possible and no need to track.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Sawfish View Post
    I have shot two deer that were flipped over on their back with all 4 legs pointing skyward. The first was a spike Whitetail in Louisiana that I shot with a Ruger 44 Carbine. His head hit the ground so hard it drove the spikes all the way into the swamp mud. Scared the hell out of me, as I thought it was a doe, until I pulled the spokes out of the mud. The second was a Colorado Muley that I shot with a .358 Norma Magnum (we were also hunting elk).

Last week I shot a Blacktail with a 30/06 Handgun. He was facing me at a slight angle angle. The bullet entered the right chest, went through the lungs, and exited the rear of of the left shoulder. He hit the ground like he was pole axed, and never moved. x 3 on "not all the same".
    Hey Saw, did it bust a shoulder ? Bet it did and that's why he dropped. I shot a white buck back in 1986 that flipped over backward like that. I don't remember exactly where the bullet hit but I was aiming for chest like normal.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I love the concept of the gobsmacked animal, but I am not into shooting them in the neck or spine.

Sometimes they run closer to the road anyway?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
    Sometimes they run closer to the road anyway?
    I wish... Mine always run downhill, away from the truck, through a briar patch, and into a creek bottom.