Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    2 years ago i was hunting cow elk with a .338, a cow caught me off gaurd at 20 yards away and lets just say she dropped hard and fast. ive only had one deer and elk drop with my.270 right away the elk was a shoulder lung shot with 150g this year and a deer last year with 130g same style of shot. both only close to 100yrd out. i think another big diff in this is iff they are alert and excited or have no idea u r there. when they get hit not knowing somethings up i think the adrenalin hasnt had a chance to keep them goin.... idk just an idea. good topic

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've had some drop right in their tracks and some not like many have written here. None have spine or head shots on any of my quick drops.

I'm trying to figure out a way to have them follow me to my vehicle and then drop to help me in the pack out but perhaps that's another post topic.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    i agree fink i shoot berger bullets wich start to fragment directly after impact some like this some dont, either way berger advertises this bullet does this and thats one reason i shoot it , it causes much more damage this way in my opinion, also some of the newer "wild cat calibers" shoot 4000fps+ wich when a bullet enters a body cavity at this kind of speed can cause extreme super shock on a animal, usualy dropping in its tracks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    Every deer I've ever shot with a gun was hit in essentially the same spot, right through the center of the lungs. I don't aim low for the heart, and I don't shoot for the shoulders. I've killed all my deer with a .270, and have never dropped one in his tracks. My deer go anywhere from 10 yards to about 75 before they pile up.

I think alot of the instant pile ups have to do with bullets that deliver a more devastaing impact, instead of just poking a hole through the animal. I switched to Barnes ttsx's this year, I'll let you know if I dump one in his tracks in about 2 weeks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    lol good one, let me know how that goes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Root View Post
    I've had some drop right in their tracks and some not like many have written here. None have spine or head shots on any of my quick drops.

I'm trying to figure out a way to have them follow me to my vehicle and then drop to help me in the pack out but perhaps that's another post topic.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have shot several whitetail with a 300 win mag in the lungs at close range, less than 100 yards, none have been excited before the shot and none have dropped. Shot a 72 lb blacktail with the same gun at almost 400 yards laying down and he went almost a hundred yards with no heart and one lung destroyed.
    Seems to me if you want them to drop you need to shoot for the shoulder or neck. I don't because I don't want to loose all the meat.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    I wish... Mine always run downhill, away from the truck, through a briar patch, and into a creek bottom.
    I am sure you are a wonderful human being, but remind me never to hunt elk or moose with you, and especially not bison, elephants or rhino.

That's bad luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    300 mag at less than 100 and it didnt turn them inside out and drop them? wow.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Misleading title. You're asking about a DRT, not one shot kills. 99% of mine have been one shot kills, but maybe only 25% have been a DRT. I don't shoot big magnums. Hell, I don't even shoot a caliber most would even call and elk caliber. (30-30) It's never failed me though.

I never quite understood why I could stop an elk in it's tracks with the same shot placement and gun, and next one will run.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree totally on CNS damage being the cause of DRT kills. It is my belief this is usually due to bullet or bone fragments damaging the CNS. I will take high shoulder shots to minimize their ability to travel far. Sometimes these shots lead to DRT kills because there are a lot of bullet and bone fragments that can hit the CNS.

On my moose this year, first shot was center mass double lung, which he soaked up without much trouble. I didn't want him running, so shot #2 was high shoulder, which caused him to stumble, but he stood back up on muscle power alone (no damage to CNS). third shot was lung/heart quartering. He soaked that one up too, but tipped over shortly after. Some critters are just tougher than others, but if the CNS goes out, so do they.

I prefer to keep shooting until they go down, to allow for a quicker kill, and shorter recovery.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    old timer... what model is ur 30-30? i love those guns and have dropped many of elk with my old one. dont see to many people out hunting with those any more allways neat knowing people are still throwing thier faith into this well deserved cal. and BB, amen to that. when you are way back in with thick crap everywhich way gotta make sure you shoot till that thing is down.