Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks

Wyo NR soon to be resident w/ max pref points. Area recommendations?

I have been applying for a Wyoming area 16 type one for seven years without any luck. I can and will put it one more year as a nonresident and if I don't draw can still get a resident tag according to my one year timeframe for residency. However, I would realy like to use all the time, effort and money put into preference point accumulation to apply for an area with reasonably successfull drawing odds and trophy class elk (350-400) for 2013. I am sure up to the work of pursuing trophy bulls that are hard to come by. Any suggestions would be great help!!!!!!!

Banned
    Thanks
    If you have 7 years worth of points, put in for the elk refuge.

Thanks
    I'm confused by your post. You indicate that you will soon be a resident, when you qualify for resident licenses your preference points for elk will be worthless. Use them next year before your residency status changes. 16 is probably as good as anything.

Thanks
    I'm also confused how you could apply for and/or receive a non-resident OR resident license in a given year. Must be a pretty unique set of circumstances.

Thanks
    Could be confusing, or maybe I have not understood the regs. I will have to enter the NR draw for 2013. If I do not draw, I can buy leftover resident tags due to the fact I will be a resident as of June 2013. However, I would like to use the best chance of chasing elk in a trophy region before I lose my preference points as a resident.

Banned
    Thanks
    If I can find work home in Wyoming I'll establish my residency in November of 2013. So I couldn't hunt until November of 2014 as a resident. Meaning I would have very little hunting time in 2014.

Thanks
    You are correct about the 365days in WY for residency. The application for NR elk is due Jan 31, Resident elk due in May, I'm not considered resident till late June. Thus, if I waited for a possible resident leftover tag, I will have wasted $350 of preference points and increased odds of drawing a trophy area. Are there rules that state even though you become resident after drawing a nonresident tag you can't use it because you are now a resident?

Banned
    Thanks
    I think you are mis understanding it.

I am guessing June of 2012 is the day you moved to Wyoming, and you have been there for 365 days, with no great absences?

If that is the case then you are legal to hunt the 2013 drawing as a resident. Regardless of when the draw is.

Banned
    Thanks
    Call the game and fish.

Thanks
    I really am not checking for rules and regs, I have already contacted G&F. I was really hoping, being a newbie to this website, that there may me some suggestions from you guys on certain areas here in this great state to have an opportunity of killing a monster elk with seven preference points as a nonresident.