Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    I've always there is nothing to compare to sitting in a waterfowl blind and watching the sun come up. Birds or no birds, there is nothing to compare to the start of a new day!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 3 Posts
    You guys are all throwing out great stuff. Wounding an animal is by far much worse than not filling a tag. I spent the entire season trying to catch up with the bull I stuck on opening morning. Spent the month before season opened looking for a big bull, found him, figured him out and stuck him one hour into opening day... in the brisket! I spent the entire afternoon tearing that drainage apart looking for him. The next morning I went into the next drainage over the ridge on a hunch and found my bull in there already scabbed over and placidly grazing in a small park. I never could seal the deal on that bull all season long and saw him numerous times the last few always with cows. At least he was seemingly okay but still... I framed the broken arrow around Mark Drurie's saying, "Plan the Execution, Execute the Plan." It hangs in a prominent spot where I see it everyday to remind me of the lesson.

Canvsbk,
    You are absolutely correct... I've not taken shots as well because I did not want the season to be over so quickly only to eat my tag later on. Good thing there are pheasants and waterfowl!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    even worse as a non-res 900 bucks for an elk tag etc...

I've eatin more tags than most I bet... but you don't shoot big ones by shooting little ones.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    One of my best hunts was a solo hunt on Kodiak Island several years ago. I camped on one side of a deep canyon, on the other side I spotted a great billy. Early the next morning I took my bow and made the trek to make a go of him. The stalk turned into one of the few that turned out perfectly. I was able to get within 10 yards of the billy as he fed towards me. As I drew on him, he spotted me and made one big jump that put him on the edge of the canyon, then stood broadside to me. I held at full draw knowing that if I released, he would jump over the canyon and I probably would not be able to retrieve him. I didn't shoot and he jumped into the canyon and ran off. The moment was perfect, the stalk was perfect and the day was perfect.
    When I got back to my camp that evening and was having my supper that same billy came up on my side of the canyon and laid down within 300 yards of my camp. He had no idea I was there. I had a .300 Weatherby in camp with me and thought briefly of shooting him with it. I decided not too. The entire hunt had been great to that point and in my mind was one of my most successful hunts and memorable days. Killing that goat would not have added to the sheer joy of the experience.
    I ate tag soup that day but I'll feast on the memories of that hunting experience forever. It's why I hunt.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 9 Posts
    I hate the taste! I can't stand it! I would rather go to the dentist or get a prostate exam!!!!! Tag soup might sound ok but it puts the worst taste in your mouth ever! Yuck!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 7 Posts
    I have eaten 5 out of my last 6 tags and those 6 are my only tags I have gotten. I won't shoot little animals, I want big ones. I live by, you can't shoot big ones if you shoot small ones. But I am only 15 so I have lots of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Funny story.

A couple months ago we were hunting Sambar (elk like animal from India, introduced into Australia in the 1800's) about 3 hours south of where I live.

I went down there with the thought that it would be wonderful to get to see one, and if I got one it would be a bonus. I had a Vicorian hunting license (Victoria is a state in Australia $60), and was using my buddies Kimber 7mm-08 with a Kahles 3-9.

We saw 3 on the drive into camp, as it was well past dark in the headlights.

First thing in the morning I head up the hill outside of camp into the very thick bush of Fern Gully hoping to get one. Within 100 yards of camp an adult bust me in the timber and all I saw was fur.

I spend about 3 hours weaving around the jungle trying to get set up and saw the biggest fox I have ever seen in my life. Of course I shot at the fox and my buddy calls me on the radio to ask how big the sambar is. I missed and no sambar.

About an hour later, I hear shots and my buddy has a big cow down on the other side of the gully. I hike up to wear he is and help him pack her out. I carry 3 quarters, he carries one and we are off.

I want a big sambar in the worst way, a huge bull. But honestly this was one of the greatest hunting days of my life, and by far the best day I have ever had in Australia. Heck I even made it home for dinner.

In the end we saw 7 or 8 Sambar, and we split the meat so I ended up with over 200 pounds of sambar in the freezer.

Ate tag soup, but it tasted fine.

Got home and back at work, i was discussing with a friend of mine from Texas that we had a heck of a good time. He being a Texan has paid for 3 high fence hunts in Australia, and killed 2 Rusa deer and a red stag. To him hunting is to put animals on the wall.

There is more to life than antlers. And honestly I am pretty happy I missed that fox.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    I have never had a year where I filled ALL of my tags. Heck in 2009 I had 3 premium tags. Nevada Archery deer, CA archery late season deer, and CO archery antelope. Never filled a single one.
    I missed a feral hog at 20 yards. I missed a turkey even closer. Didn't even draw blood. that stung.

But I called in a turkey for my daughter that year, and that made it ALL better.

I really had to look at what it was I enjoyed about hunting and I discovered that I still enjoyed the time afield, even if a didn't have a full freezer to show for it.

Anyone who has never NOT filled a tag hasn't really hunted.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by 2rocky View Post
    Anyone who has never NOT filled a tag hasn't really hunted.
    Failure always helps the taste of success.

Good wordsmithing Rocky.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    This is the first year in quite a while that I filled all 3 tags I had. There have been some years I didnt fill any. I decided a few years back if the day ever comes that I cant go home happy with the tag still in my pocket I will quit hunting. Hunting is about alot more then filling tags.