Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WildassJoe View Post
    @Bitterroot Bulls- im only suggesting it because so many hunting adventures do not actually require binoculars. in my humble opinion, if you need binos to see the deer... then the deer are too far to shoot at anyway... might as well take some pics... and it depends on the terrain and hunting environment... some hunting is hundred yards max why the binos? now with that said lots of different types of hunting... there are hunts that have mountains to hike across and canyons to scale to then set up to make the shot... then there are desert areas with long distances... every case has its merits... I made my decision based on weight and hiking with extra gear that may or may not be needed... in Texas I have long sendaros to hunt.. or hi-lines and im sitting in a box stand and I drove up to it and loaded the stand with my equipment... in California total different story... it mountains and its a long hike back to camp. and every bit of gear weight matters... to each his own I guess... but for me I have ruled out large big binos and spotting scopes on California mountains... But on horseback... again another story... LOL
    Welcome to EF, WildassJoe.

I like optics ... a lot.

When I started using optics seriously for all of my hunting, my success rate when up astronomically. I now take a spotting scope and binoculars with me EVERY time I hunt. I will spend hours at a time glassing upwards of 5 to 10 miles away. Too far for a shot for sure, but that is where the "stalk" part of spot and stalk comes in. If you are getting headaches, there is a problem with your optic ... either the diopter setting is off, or the bins are out of collimation. Even if I was stand hunting with a maximum of 100 yards viewing distance (God help me) I would want at least binoculars to pick apart the cover at the edge of the viewing distance looking for an ear, eye, antler, etc.

If your camera is working for you ... good on ya, but as general advice for western hunters, I would say binoculars should be the FIRST equipment purchase after weapon.

Poke around the forum and check it out, Joe!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Welcome to EF, WildassJoe.

I like optics ... a lot.

When I started using optics seriously for all of my hunting, my success rate when up astronomically. I now take a spotting scope and binoculars with me EVERY time I hunt. I will spend hours at a time glassing upwards of 5 to 10 miles away. Too far for a shot for sure, but that is where the "stalk" part of spot and stalk comes in. If you are getting headaches, there is a problem with your optic ... either the diopter setting is off, or the bins are out of collimation. Even if I was stand hunting with a maximum of 100 yards viewing distance (God help me) I would want at least binoculars to pick apart the cover at the edge of the viewing distance looking for an ear, eye, antler, etc.

If your camera is working for you ... good on ya, but as general advice for western hunters, I would say binoculars should be the FIRST equipment purchase after weapon.

Poke around the forum and check it out, Joe!
    +1 to BB's post. Additionally, quality binos and spotting scopes have saved me a lot of time and hiking, as you can better judge the quality of the animal you're looking at instead of having to hike closer......only to discover he's not the size you want to shoot.
    BOHNTR )))----------->

B&C / P&Y Official Measurer

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    HI Guys... I appreciate the welcomes... Thank you
    @Hardstalk- All good, I'm a lonely hunter out here amigo! I'm always surrounded by none hunters and animal PETA extremists with Hollywood causes and well...I'm always surrounded... I am heading into the field on Nov 10th for the late season A32 LA/Ventura either sex deer Hunt.. only 250 tags and ( can you believe the long names?)
    @Bitterroot Bulls & BOHNTR- I can agree with buying and having it... But, I'm just finding that I use the camera more often and im not missing the binos.. I'm probably worded my post incorrectly. LOL im not online much during the day... rarely.. most time I'm checking the hunting research and maps (and now) Eastmans forum real late at night and half asleep dreaming of big bucks and .. so I can say stupid things while meaning one thing and saying it badly... LOL...
    I appreciate any tips and am willing to share what I observe... thank you for welcoming me to the forum...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    i have noticed some cameras can get some real good clarity of animals after the pic was taken, edit and zoom and all that. thats the nice part a bout a quality pair of optics though. hang on your chest and dont take batteries. plus those lenses for those cameras that take those far away pictures will buy you the best bino out there. im wanting to get into photography during my scouting trips and if you want a quality camera u need some quality cash. ended up upgrading my binos. neat idea though, just like any new idea..... diff things are hard to get use to. welcome to forum.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    I would almost rather leave my gun at home then my binoculars

Thanks
    Congratulations
    agreed musketman. ive forgot my binos on my lamp stand by front door so many times when in a rush to get to hills. allways a nightmare when i realize what ive done. now a pair stays in the truck at all times.

Thanks
    Congratulations

Buck fighting and one gets his leg knocked over his antler!! WOW!!! crazy cool!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lilBuckfight.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	4705
    Hi guys, here is a shot of two bucks fighting!! ne little buck has his leg knocked over his head and caught on his antler... Crazy cool huh? While most of you totally disagree with my observation and ultimate conclusion of camera vs binoculars... agree or disagree doesn't matter... My camera can show you exactly what a set of binoculars can not do and that is offer image evidence of what I saw... and this is why I made this post...
    while I do have a set of binoculars in my pack... I am using my camera more effectively love having the image evidence after the hunt! I can show exactly where and what I am observing while i'm out there... if I didn't have my camera I would only be telling you what I observed... here I can show you what I saw...

crazy buck fight huh?
    here is the YouTube video...
    http://youtu.be/I0PrlpTQT8c
    Last edited by WildassJoe; 11-17-2012 at 04:27 PM. Reason: adding video link...

Thanks
    Congratulations

here is the video...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    wildassjoe.... great name btw! i think for the majority of us we are glassing animals up to and over a mile away. can ur camera zoom in effectivly at that range? if so that is pretty awesome and would be cool. good video.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Nice to hear that we can replace with a camera i am a professional photographer and looking for a camera but i think this is the best idea to have a camera anyways thanks for this informative thread and have a nice day.............