Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Udder Pandamonium, picking out a new place to live. MOO!

I am retiring in a year. So I am a little too far out to apply for jobs that don't require huge security clearances, or have really long hiring processes.

Here's our selection ideas so far, I have it broken into 3 tiers.

Best fit:

* Alaska, but selectivly so: Bristol Bay, SE, Valdez, Tok, Copper Center/Glennallen and Kenai. No Anchorage and no Fairbanks. Right now I am an Alaska resident so it's an easy no wait hunting oppertunity.

* Top 2/3rds of Wyoming (as I am a Fremont native), parents live in Wyoming and I grew up there mostly so it's an easy fit, probably hunt cow elk and doe antelope as a non resident next year.

* Western Montana (as I graduated high school in SW Montana). Go Wardens! Easy fit lots of family in SW Montana. And can still hunt Wyoming as a non-resident.

2nd Tier

Northern Idaho

NE Washington state

Alpine, Texas area; with the thought I could have a low fence lease for Aoudad, javelina, mule deer and whitetails

New Mexico other than the big cities, because you can buy land owner tags, and if you were in SE New Mexico you could have a west Texas lease like above.

3rd Tier

Arizona other than Pheonix and Tuscon

Utah other than Salt Lick

Colorado other than the Denver I-25 coridor.

Nevada other than Reno or Vegas.

Northern California, could have a deer and wild pig lease.

Texas Hill Country, could have a hunting lease.

Western North and South Dakota

My thoughts are I already buy points in Nevada, Arizona and Utah for everything and hunting there is super limited, so while they are nice places to live I plan on using my points wisely in those 3 states.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    How much traveling do you plan on doing outside of hunting season? Being retired with nothing to do, you will be busy scouting some in the offseason, but if it were me I'd want to be within 3 hours of a major airport so I can get anywhere in the US in a day if I need to.

If you don't like winter weather, Texas could be considered, but I live here and wouldn't move here to retire. Southwest Colorado, Central or Northern New Mexico, anywhere in Wyoming I'd give a vote for. Any of those, you are a days (16 hr) drive to most any good unit in the west. Colorado is rugged in the winter with real high elevations. If I retired at 60, I'd wonder how long my knees and my back would keep me topping fourteeners before I broke down.

AK might be good if you don't have any family in the lower 48. I think the older you get the more important it gets to spend time with family and its nice to be a day away if you need to get somewhere.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    All great choices to me... However, I'm a big fan of cold hard winters (growing up on Lake Superior probably has something to do with that). Plus when the Zombie apocalypse hits they don't handle cold real well, so that's a plus! And in Wyoming I have great views so I can find a high place and snipe them from 500 plus yards out with my .338-378.

Seriously, I love Wyoming after moving from da U.P. eh! Lots of hunting opportunities and room to roam whether high or low. I definitely prefer the northern part of the state though. Alaska still sings a siren song as well. Doe Nob brings up a great point about family too. It is nice to be a day away from anyone you need or who needs you.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    All,

I am not really going to be retired. My plan is to work full time until I am 67 so I'll have something like 28 more years of work ahead of me. Not crying, just know lots of people that stopped working at 40 and basically were dead at 48. That and I won't be financially able to do it then anyway. Retirement check will be enough for a pretty swanky mortage and that's it.

As for being near an airport, that isn't a real priority, neither is being near a base or VA facility. It might be 20 years from now, but not right now. If you live in the West, you are where you want to be 99% of the time anyway. Let's put it this way I have never looked out across my parents back porch at Casper mountain and said "man I wish I New York, Atlanta, LA, San Fran, Miami or anyplace else wasn't 10 hours worth of flights and driving. That and Denver has a 7 hour flight to Frankfurt, about the same as anywhere else in North America.

I am more looking for specific towns if you have them. I'd like to know what's still nice and what has gone to crap.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Two Words... Buffalo, Wyoming! Two and half hours from Billings airport, two from Casper... Hunting and Fishing, no wolves or grizzlies and still has that small town Wyoming feel. Plus quite a bit of state ground around there for public hunting opportunities.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have thought about Buffalo, but I don't think any of the gov Agencies I want to work for are in Buffalo.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Dug up a little on Buffalo, it would be ok.

I am hoping the job I want magically appears in Powell or Thermopolis. I really want to hunt the Shoshone Wilderness.

And it's cheaper than living in Cody.

And old bones can soak in the hot springs when needed.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Two Words... Buffalo, Wyoming! Two and half hours from Billings airport, two from Casper... Hunting and Fishing, no wolves or grizzlies and still has that small town Wyoming feel. Plus quite a bit of state ground around there for public hunting opportunities.
    Buffalo is a nice place but THEY DO HAVE WOLVES !!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Oh, well, a few... took pictures of some tracks in the Big Horns this fall and there is the odd sighting now and then. BUT, the ones we do have won't last too long with our new laws... three cheers for Wyoming!

I don't know what agencies you are considering but there are a lot of gov offices in Sheridan and that is only a half hour up the road. But I know what you mean about the hot springs, they are nice.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I like all those areas in Wyoming. The Bighorns are neat country for sure. As for MT, the Helena area has a lot going for it. Close to a relatively big town, and reasonable driving distance to some great hunting and fishing. If you are looking further west and wilderness, it is hard to beat the Flathead.

P.S. I had to chuckle at the "udder pandamonium." I pictured a hand grenade in a dairy.