Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

stalking techniques?

I am curious what type of techniques people use for stalking. Obviously walking into the wind is the best advices, but that isn't always possible.

I am a big fan of taking off my shoes and rolling up my pant legs walking with my toes pointed down as much as possible. I have stepped on my fair share of cactus and snow while stalking this way, but the reward often outweighs the risk.

Does anyone have any different techniques for walking on crunchy leaves or snow that helps quiet down the stalking process? I have seen some pads that strap on the bottom of boots for quieting down walking, does anyone have any first hand experience with similar products? Has anyone used leather moccasins before? Having some kind of protective layer between my feet and the ground sure would be nice in snowy situations.

Are there any other things you all do that help you get closer to big game while stalking?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    ando,

There's quite a few things you can do to quiet down your foot noise durring a stalk. You can allways purchace slip on's such as Baer's feet that do a good job. There are a few others on the market also. If you are the DYI type you can purchace synthetic bear hide from a local fabric store and make your own slip on's. Here's a tip if you want to make your own......purchace a pair of wader felt soles, cut them down to your foot size and glue them to the fabric. Once you get the felts glued you simply put one of your hunting boots on the felt and use it as a form for your slip on. Sew it up and and make a couple of laces for the top around your ankle.

I'll dig mine out and post a pic.......

3. The Following User Says Thank You to packer58 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 1 Post
    I carry a set of heavy wool socks to put on after taking my boots off to close the last 100 to 200 yards depending on the situation. I also tuck my pants into them so that when my legs brush up against anything it is absolutely quite.
    JJenness
    G
    &T Crazy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jjenness For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I do the same, carry an extra pair of heavy socks with me and slip those on after i take off my boots. Cactus can still be brutal, dont ask how i know that.....but watch where you are walking..HaHa
    PSE X Force Axe
    Sword Sight
    Ripcord Rest
    Easton FMJ

Savage 270WSM
    Weatherby 257 Magnum
    Remington .204
    Ruger 7x57

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Any other techniques out there, and how about those pics packer58? I thought the socks pulled up on the outside of the pant legs was a good one. I usually just rolled up my pant legs but will have to give that a try.

I have also used a cheap $50 ghillie suit to stalk up on bedded whitetail and muleys. The ghillie suit takes some customizing before it can be used for bow hunting. I had to cut a bunch of the material off on the underside of my left arm and chest as well as shorten up a bunch of other material so the bow string wouldn't catch on the material if it were blowing in the wind. I have only used it twice in three seasons of having it, but it worked quite well for getting past some open areas. I would prefer to camo myself up with the native grasses and brush, but that is to time consuming and this little ghillie suit is light weight and packs away into a small pack (about the size of a small sleeping bag pack). I also put a few pieces of sage into the pack since scent will always be an issue when I put the suit on.

I've always wondered how well or poorly those cow decoys, and other decoys the like, work for getting close to deer where topographical advantages cannot be obtained.