Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Hi Mountain Seasonings

Had some of my breakfast sausage this am, it was fantastic! I used their Prairie Sage seasoning along with a 60/40 mixture of antelope (60%) and pork shoulder roast. Used the course grind setup and then vacume packed it. Really came out great, not too spicy (according to my wife who is not into really spicey food).

I will be using their Bratwurst kit for brats next. After I get them stuffed, then they will go into the smoker for a couple of hours @ 125 degrees, Then frozen to be put on the BBQ later.

Good product .....and an Eastman's advertiser
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 11-04-2012 at 11:40 AM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    that sure sounds good!

Thanks
    Sounds good, Im waiting to use their brat kit if/when I kill a deer this year.

Thanks
    I have been really happy with all of their products I have used too! I made smoked antelope brats and germans using 15% beef fat, 15% beef and 70% antelope and they cameout awesome!! getting ready to make summer and italian with my deer using the same mixture but CC just gave me the idea to add pork to some and make breakfast sausage!

Thanks
    I made 2 different types of Brats, one made with antelope and pork shoulder roast and one made with antelope and bacon bits & pieces. I followed their directions and both are really great. After I stuffed the casings, they were smoked for an hour @150. Then I vacume packed them and into the freezer they went. Only problem is they are just a little salty for my taste. I am going to call them and see I can cut down on the amount of cure they recommend.

The only real problem I see is that they are a lot of work to get freezer ready and I can see them disappearing pretty fast. Looks like I might have to ration them!!
    Colorado Cowboy
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    What smoker do you use? I've been strongly considering buying one of the electric smokers that accepts wood chips, so I can better control the temp. I struggle with having too hot of a fire on my current smoker. I've been wanting get into smoking more sausages and snack stick and the like..

Thanks
    I use the Masterbuilt smoker. It does a pretty good job. If Im smoking sausage and have it full I rotate the racks around at least once or it won't all be done the same time. The bottom rack cooks faster than the top, but it does hold a constant temp pretty well.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wapiti66 View Post
    I use the Masterbuilt smoker. It does a pretty good job. If Im smoking sausage and have it full I rotate the racks around at least once or it won't all be done the same time. The bottom rack cooks faster than the top, but it does hold a constant temp pretty well.
    I use one of the Masterbuilt too. Pretty much use it for flavoring on most meats so I really don't worry too much about rotating the racks. I do smoke fish a lot and then I do rotate them. One thing I've learned is to use wet, saturated chips as they produce lots of smoke and last a long time.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    What smoker do you use? I've been strongly considering buying one of the electric smokers that accepts wood chips, so I can better control the temp. I struggle with having too hot of a fire on my current smoker. I've been wanting get into smoking more sausages and snack stick and the like..
    I've got a cookshack. I bought about 10 years ago, it is awesome! Next time you go to Cabela's at KC check it out. I actually bought it up there when I lived in Kansas. About once a year Cabelas sends out an offer if you purchase a single item $500 or more, they give you $150 gift card. Well, that is what I did. It is totally stainless steel, not much can go wrong with it. About the only thing would be the heating element or thermostat. You can buy replacement ones from Cookshack if needed.

Thanks
    I have a Bradley electric smoker that uses the bisquettes. It works great and is easy to control. The only drawback is you can only use the Bradley bisquettes in it