Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

DIY - First Timer - What Unit to Pick

New member to the forums. Looks like I found the right spot!
    Been out west visiting countless times, but this will be my first trip actually hunting.
    As many often do, we will be starting out with a Wyoming antelope hunt.

Myself and 3 others purchased a WY antelope PP this year. We each will have 1 for next season.
    We plan to apply as a party. I see quite a few units that have 100% odds with 1PP, but cross referecing that to a BLM map, shows that most of the units are on the east side, and mostly private property.

What we are looking for is public land with good access. Open to any area in the state, but would like to be in the 100% draw areas for 1PP.

My initial research shows lots of public land in units 113 and 21 near Kaycee.
    I have heard a lot or most of it is land locked by private property.
    Anybody have experience with these units?

Also 100% odds and good public land volume near the intersection of units 16,17,22 & 23.
    Anybody have any information regarding public land access in those areas?

Also I hear excellent things about 27. Both number of animals and excellent public access, but only slightly better that 50% with 1PP. I have read 29 is a good alternative to 27. Can anybody comment about the public access in 29?

Not looking for monster antelope, just nice representative animals.
    Would like to be in an area with 'guaranteed' buck tags and good public access.

Any and all suggestions or recommendations appreciated by this antelope rookie.

Ben

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Pm sent.....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 27 Times in 3 Posts
    I had no experience hunting pronghorn. I had never even been to that area of the state. I picked area 27 for the simple fact of all the public land. I bought 3 different maps of the area and studied them. What made the hunt very easy for me was Cabela's recon app. I knew where the public and private was, this was a blessing. We seen nearly 30 bucks the day before season kicked off while scouting.I marked the good 1's on the gps. The next morning I was on the first target buck at daylight. I didn't kill him, but I got another big 1 in the same canyon. I never seen other hunters in the same area , only while driving out the northeast corner did I see some trucks..

Thanks
    Congratulations
    razorbackhunter,
    Can you explain a little more about the public access to the public land? Is this a simple as country roads or hwys?
    Do you have use county roads to cross private land to reach the public land?

I am still trying to figure out how the public access works.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 3 Posts
    Sent you a pm on areas. Reply back if you need more info on maps, access, etc.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Sent you a PM

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 27 Times in 3 Posts
    I bought several maps of the unit and area. Then I bought the app for my phone. Between the two it was easy to know where I was. There were very few roads that were private and closed to the public. I knew all of them by studing the maps before hand.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    well how did your hunt go in 27

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 1 Post
    In Wyoming, public roadways (Federal, State, County highways/roads) cannot be closed off and are open to public access even if they go thru private land. You can hunt any and all public land that the public roadway crosses. If you are in a checkerboard land area, you CANNOT corner hop from one section of land to another. Best way I found to get a handle on the public land access in a particular unit is to get a 1:100K BLM topo map and mark all the public roadways in the unit. From there you can get a basic idea of initial access and where the big chunks of accessible public land are located. If you're in an area with a large amount of private land, you should have a GPS with the WY hunting chip installed as this will allow you to know where you are real-time during your hunt. Many of the wardens use this same technology in whether or not the issue a citation to you if you are caught "trespassing" by a hyper-vigilant land owner that doesn't know his own boundaries. If you have the chip and it shows you on the public ground, a warden will wish you well and send you on your way.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by MWScott72 View Post
    In Wyoming, public roadways (Federal, State, County highways/roads) cannot be closed off and are open to public access even if they go thru private land. You can hunt any and all public land that the public roadway crosses. If you are in a checkerboard land area, you CANNOT corner hop from one section of land to another. Best way I found to get a handle on the public land access in a particular unit is to get a 1:100K BLM topo map and mark all the public roadways in the unit. From there you can get a basic idea of initial access and where the big chunks of accessible public land are located. If you're in an area with a large amount of private land, you should have a GPS with the WY hunting chip installed as this will allow you to know where you are real-time during your hunt. Many of the wardens use this same technology in whether or not the issue a citation to you if you are caught "trespassing" by a hyper-vigilant land owner that doesn't know his own boundaries. If you have the chip and it shows you on the public ground, a warden will wish you well and send you on your way.
    So say an interstate is the only road that cuts through a corner of public land. Can you pull over off the interstate and hunt? My understanding is that it's legal to hunt the public land but illegal to pull off the interstate like that. Thoughts?