Thread: Warm socks??

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Warm socks??

Can anyone recommend a good sock? I need something very warm ,but without the bulk. If that's even possible?
    I was diagnosed with Diabetes last fall. I noticed last winter during lion season that I was having trouble keeping my feet warm due to the circulation problems associated with diabetes.. I need to keep things pretty light if I can. I tried a few different socks last year with out much luck unless they were a heavy weight sock. I just upgraded my boots with a little more insulation. Again trying to keep things light. a big pack style boot and or a heavy sock is just too much for following hounds in the deeper snow.
    I have been looking a some UA socks, anyone have any experience with there warmer socks? I have had excellent results with some of there other products.
    Wiling to try just about anything. I'm not going to let this disease keep me from hunting or enjoying the outdoors

Thanks, BGG

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 1 Post
    Good for you for powering through it! I like UA socks and I LOVE smart wool socks. I hate bulky socks and use smart wool socks all through hunting and shed hunting season. Which usually entails a lot of snow! They always keep my feet warm and with the moisture wicking stuff in them, they stay dry and mostly smell free

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I know a backpacker who got caught in about 1.5' of snow with some of those barefoot type shoes. Two pairs of socks and a plastic bag on each foot and he continued for several days, finishing his hike with no problems. I have read that vapor barrier insulation (plastic bag) is the best if your moving, just watch for perspiration collecting and getting your feet to wet.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 29 Times in 4 Posts
    Have you thought of heated insoles? That might be an option also to keep your feet warm.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RUTTIN View Post
    Have you thought of heated insoles? That might be an option also to keep your feet warm.
    I was thinking this same thing! Thermacell makes a heated insole. I was hoping someone had used them on here. I'm curious as to how well they work and how comfortable they. There's nothing worse than hiking a bunch with crappy insoles!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Check out Darn Tough Socks. They are hands down the best socks I have worn. One of the coolest things is they are made in Vermont and have a lifetime guarantee. No joke.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Any particular brands of smart wool or merino wool socks to look at? I looked at the Darn tough socks and they look nice.
    I'm probably going to order several different types of socks and try them out.

Thanks,BGG

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would look for socks with the highest percentage of merino wool in their construction. I used SmartWool this year with great results, no cold feet and good wicking for moisture control. I have recently developed issues similar to yours.
    You are on the right track.
    NRA
    RMEF