Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kids

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kids

So I've got a buddy who is extremely against having kids and while my wife and I definitely want them, it has made me wonder about them a bit more. He talks about how much less he would be able to hunt for the first few years which which he is probably right about, but I still think that having kids would be great and completely worth it. So since this is a pretty dedicated bunch of hunters here, do kids reduce the amount that you can hunt? Even with that though, I would assume that everyone on here who has children is glad that they have them and wouldn't change a thing??? I also think it would be awesome once they get old enough to hunt themselves to be able to go out with them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I still consider myself a new parent, since my daughter is only 15 months old. But like you said, I wouldn't have it any other way. I didn't get to hunt this year not because of having a little one but on account of other things like school. I know I'm one of those father's who can't wait to be able to take my kids out in the woods when they're old enough. I know that's what got me loving the outdoors so much was when my dad started taking me out at a young age. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I wouldn't have it any other way. Love my kids to death. My daughter will be old enough to hunt this year. Can't wait!!

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have 2 kids, both girls. We also have another one on the way, and will probably have one more if we can. The 13 month old is a treasure, just a really easy going nice baby. I have high hopes.

The 14 year old lives with her mother on another continent, she is the opposite of the spectrum, she was never a happy baby, and is a miserable out of control teenager. The X-wife and I get a long great, and she remarried a nice guy. I try and see her as often as I can, but for most of the past 14 years I have either lived overseas or been deployed overseas to the war zone.

For a very long time I didn't want to have anything to do with marriage or kids, I was actually divorced for 13 years before I started dating to marry. In the end it was the church I was involved with that helped open my eyes. Then I met my wife and now we are happily expecting another bundle of love.

Here are the 3 things I have learned in life.

1. Kids are not easy, they will test every ounce of emotion and patience you ever had. But they are worth it, the love they bring is amazing.

2. The younger you are when you first have kids the harder it is. And I know a lot of people that resent their kids for taking away their fun young adult years. Not saying don't do it, but remember they will change your situation so greatly, you can't imagine it.

3. Reloading time, shooting time, hunting time, beer drinking time and time away from the wife only effect the wife right now. You won't get to do everything you want when you get to do it. Or you won't be married very long, as she will need a break too.

In the end there is nothing like it and I recommend it to MOST people, saying that your life will never be the same.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have 2 kids (17 months and a 4 yr old). I use to hunt everything that moved now I only hunt deer, elk and sometime pigs. I gave everything else up so I can help around the house during the rest of the year. My wife respects my passion for hunting but doesn't fully understand it to my extreme. I don't expect my wife to do it all so I can go hunting. So I compromise, I'll gave up some of the critters to hunt a few critters. I would not give up not having children so I can hunt. I can't wait till my kids start hunting. I take them hunting with me every chance I get. But I also find the time and plan things with my wife so I can go on my own trips without the kids.This is when I really hunt hard and make the most out of every trip.

But to awnser your question does having kids keep you from hunting more? Yes and No... It all depends on the relationship you have with your wife or girlfriend. Are you willing to compromise! Every year i try and plan a few trips that have nothing to do with hunting. The trips that my wife wants to do. Then that gives me the go ahead to go hunting. This year I hunted 25 days and I took my boy with me for a couple of those days. There is nothing more gratifying and challenging than raising kids. I would'nt take that back for anything. Hope this helps.....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Kids - Best thing that ever happened to me!!!

I have 2 kids a 9 year old girl, and a 5 year old boy. My kids both love the outdoors. Sure it does cut into hunting time. I was out hunting Antelope 2 years ago when my son was 3. We were heading out to a small parcel of BLM land I like to hunt and we see this little dink Antelope and my son says " There's one dad shoot it" I explained to him that it wasn't big enough and he just looked at me and said " Dad, just shoot it". I love telling that story. My kids always go out hunting with me for Antelope and if my wife has to work they come with me for Deer and Elk. You have to hunt different with the kids, it's hard to get close to animals when you have a 5 year old asking as loud as he can if he can keep his stick he found, or keeps asking where is the water, i want to throw rocks in it. The last couple of years I have taken a week off for Elk season, and I really miss them Monday thru Friday when they are in school.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I wrecked alot on my bicycle when I was young but still managed to have three kids. I never even considered the debate between having children and the opportunity to hunt more. If that is your argument then by all means do not have kids. Building a family is suppose to be hard. Have kids and find some time to hunt. It will all work out.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Children are a blessing from Heaven! I have 4, the girls are the oldest 11 & 8. Followed by the boys 6 & 3, yes you do not have as much time to hunt. They are totally worth it though. The mistakes you made growing up, you can help them with. It is awesome to watch them hit their first homerun, make their first basket or score their first touchdown. When they get older & start hunting & fishing with you, is the funnest hunts you will ever expierence. I wouldn't trade it for the best hunting in the world. You will be busy & their life consume yours, there will be sacrifices to be made. It is hard, but it is the best thing that has happened to me with the exception of Jesus Christ saving me. When you do find time to hunt you appreciate it more. You also seem to take advantage of the oppurtunity to get out hunting & make the best of it! Good Luck, hope this advice helps.
    Last edited by Eberle; 11-11-2012 at 06:58 PM. Reason: spelling error

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Have some, they're great! Sure, they will change the impulsive adventures, you'll have to plan things better. My son was 5 when he and his mom went brown bear hunting with me on Kodiak Island. We didn't shoot a bear on that trip but we all had a fantastic time!
    We just had to take more and make it more "Family Friendly" if there is such a thing on a brown bear hunt. Would I have taken a bear if I didn't have him along? Maybe, do I care? NO! He was 9 when I took a grizzly with him there.

You should start having them before I did though. I was 44, he's now almost 15. (That really doesn't seem right...I thought I was only 29!)

Having a child to help raise has been the greatest blessing of my life!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Nd hunter, I killed over 200 ducks, 100 geese the season before my wife and I had our first, now my kids are 3 and 1, how many birds have I killed this season,0! Last season I can probably count the birds I killed with my fingers and toes the kids have put a HUGE damper on hunting, with that said I wouldn't have it any other way, you have to take the good with the bad and the bad is only temporary. My wife understands the whole big game thing and if I'm lucky enough to draw a tag, I can have a week or two off to pursue my game. This year we are going down to Arizona on a vacation/hunting trip. Spending two weeks down there my daughter is 3, she is going on her first hunting trip with me tomorrow (pheasant hunting on a friends property) we will see how she does, if she does good we will pursue quail on a friends ranch the next day. I am very excited for her to start getting out in the field with me! I know my trips will be different from now on but sharing the field with a small person so open to the world is well worth it as well. I don't think she will be going above timberline with me next year but I will have to pry her off my leg when I do go

Have kids man, no regrets. They are the joy of my life!

If you ever see the movie "back up plan" (chick movie), actor Anthony Anderson talks about being a dad at a playground, he sums it up very well! Lots if frustration but the little moments make it worth it.