Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kids

Thanks
    Im feeling the effects of parenthood. Both my wife and I ran hard for years without restrictions or boundaries. I would hunt when I want. She would hit the road with her mother competing in rodeo events and we would see each other when it was convenient. My daughter is 8 months old today and my lord how our lifestyle has changed. A complete 180. We eat as a family. We spend a ton of time together. We lay on the ground and laugh at our daughters progression in life as she laughs and attempts to stand. I always knew we would have children but you cant imagine how the times change when you do. I think children are the reason we are here. To bring a better more advanced generation up and pass on our legacy. And hunting is just one past time I plan to pass along. You find ways to incorporate your children into your activities. I still shoot my bow almost daily. Is it a bit harder? Absolutely. I have to pack out the high chair. Grab her little teething toys. Some crackers and whatever else will keep her quite. But she sits there in her chair as i shoot and watches every move I make with complete content. Shooting my bow has never been so fun! Most of my memories involve the outdoors with my father. Impossible to make your own memories about teaching the outdoors without your own kids.

Thanks
    My daughter will be 4 next month and I couldn't be happier with being a parent. Have things changed? Without a doubt! Before we had her I hunted everything that moved. I rarely missed a day of deer season here in CA. Now I pretty much stick to deer, coyotes and turkeys. My wife is the best when it comes to my hunting. She pretty much gives up everything from the end of August through October for the CA deer season and I don't push my luck during the rest of the year.(unless I draw a good tag out of state) It truely is the compromise between us that makes it work.
    Embrace the change and I will be a great experience!

Thanks
    Aww Vince! You would make such a good dad!
    Kids definitely change things.. But it's for the good!! And like some other people said the amount they limit just depends on the relationship with your spouse or even the rest of your family. This year my stepmom and dad took care of my kids while I was hunting. It also helps that I hunt deer out on my parents ranch so I just go drop the kids off and go. When I'm elk hunting a lot Of times my dad will just come up and being his camper and camp with me and watch the kids. You will notice you don't care as much if there is a time you don't get to go because there's nobody to watch the kids. This year I was hunting and filming turkey on Mother's Day and was gone the whole day, never even seen my kids. When I got home. They had left their presents and cards for me on the table and I cried. I will never hunt on Mother's Day again. Kids give you a whole new outtake on life. My kids love to go hunting with me. My daughter who is almost 7 will talk about the deer we shot together everyday. She always tells me she can't wait to get to shoot a deer and she BEGS me to take he shed hunting. Not only do I get to get out and do what I love but I get to enjoy it with my kids and hear their excitement and passion for the same things I love.

Thanks
    Thanks Jen, when the time comes I sure hope so!

Thanks everyone for your comments. They are pretty much what I expected to hear. Everyone says kids give you a whole different outlook on life and nobody would change a thing. Even if that means missing out on some time in the woods.

Thanks
    Friends,family and the outddors.Say no more.No question,have kids if you can.

Banned
    Thanks
    Yes, Family Friends and the Outdoors. I have one year till I am done in the military. I can wait for the FFO to start.

Thanks
    Nd Hunter, You didn't say how old you are.

My question for you to ponder is whether you have some goal, career, passion or otherwise that you have not achieved yet?

If you DON'T achieve it will you resent your wife or kids? I mean when you want to be a self employed entrepreneur, and you are living out of your car on the razor thin edge of losing it all, to make a business work, I wouldn't recommend having a wife and family depending on you to have health insurance, and a regular income.

Do you have a seasonal job that allows you to quit and spend all fall hunting and living out of a tent ? Might not be the best time for kids.

Are you on the career that has you moving at a moments notice to dangerous places?

Do you live in an environment where drug use, alcohol abuse violent crime, child abuse are common?

Those are some situations where I could see not having kids. Otherwise we all figure out how to balance work, family and our free time. Having children does change your priorities and perspectives. Hunting with kids is nothing like when you were young and single. You will raise your 3rd child completely differently from your first. You learn to tone it down when the kids aren't as fired up about hunting.

Being a parent is hard but has moments of real pride and pleasure. Kinda like trophy big game hunting.

Thanks
    Well I have a 18, 12, and 10 year old that are kicking my country a$$. The 18 year old goes away to school next year hopefully with a cross country scholarship. We are hopeful that makes things easier.

Thanks
    Thinking about it more, you can borrow my 2 youngest and I'll go on a 2 week elk hunt. If you survive and still have the urge to have kids then you are ready.

Thanks
    Love all 4 of my kids, very rewarding (17,14,7 and 5)........A pictures worth a thousand words!!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020692.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	4684Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020681.jpg 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	4685Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020609.jpg 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	4686Click image for larger version.