Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 284 Winchester

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

284 Winchester

Another cartridge thread, I know....

I have a 700 SA lying around and am considering the 284 for a "do all" hunting rifle. I'm looking for a little extra down range energy without going to a magnum (even though the 284 is pretty much a short mag)... I like the looks of that new 7mm 150gr LR Accubond as well.

Anybody hear have any experience with the 284? If so, custom rifle or factory? Any feeding issues? Anything at all you can tell me would be great.

Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Whisky,

My only experience with that cartridge is the necked down version, .25-284. I've never had a failure to feed issue with it. I have a neat little custom mauser, stocked by Jerry Fisher of Montana. It shoots great and is ballistically a 25-06.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    My uncle hunted elk for over 20 years with a Savage 99 in .284. His face lights up when he talks about that cartridge. He only switched to a Savage bolt 270 to protect his valuable 99.

Due to similar powder capacity with the 30-06 based 280 Rem, the 284 pretty much duplicates the 280's ballistics, but allows for a shorter action.

Great cartridge.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Only problem with it, and it's kid the 6.5x284 is that a lot of people want to run them hard and fast. By that I mean they like to put VLD bullets in them and they run out of magazine space.

The 150 Accubond shouldn't be a problem though.

You could see if someone could sell you 1 284 case and you could seat the bullets you wanted to use in the case and if they still fit in the action you're set.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a Wyatts mag box I intend to use. That'll get me to about 2.990" ish. If I was putting together a plinkin rifle in the 284, I'd definitely go long action for the bigger VLDs, utilize all case capacity. But I think, especially with the Wyatts box, in a hunting rifle, I should be good in a SA.... I think...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    And of course a guy has to put some thought into reamer specs. Get the free bore correct for the intended bullets and max COAL, and that's most of the battle won right there. I made that mistake once, won't do that again...

Dummy rounds are a good idea!!

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Whiskey is right, you darn near need a reamer for every bullet combination you plan on doing. Especially in a short action cartridge like that.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I have a ultra light arms in .284 Melvin Forbes probably makes more .284 than anybody these days. It is semi custom but the big seller is the weight, or lack there of. A great mountain rifle if you keep in mind it is not a magnum.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I currently own and opperate a long action custom M700 in 284 Win. No turn neck with the free bore length to accomodate the 150gr bullet. Seated to the lands the base of the bullet is just flush with the base of the neck of the case. She likes a little contact,but not being jammed in the lands. RL19 is the powder of choice for now. I built her a little too heavy though,and don't enjoy her as much as I had hoped. We used a Shilen #4 24" long and it's more like a light varmint than a big game rifle. I regret it as this was to be my companion rifle for all things. The cartridge stands for itself. Comparable ballistics to any of the other mid / standard length cartridges. Accuracy potential is great in a good barrel and chamber. Mine easily goes 1/2 moa out to 400 yds with hunting bullets. Bedded in a B & C Medalist and topped with a Leupold 6X-18X .

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeTikkas View Post
    I currently own and opperate a long action custom M700 in 284 Win. No turn neck with the free bore length to accomodate the 150gr bullet. Seated to the lands the base of the bullet is just flush with the base of the neck of the case. She likes a little contact,but not being jammed in the lands. RL19 is the powder of choice for now. I built her a little too heavy though,and don't enjoy her as much as I had hoped. We used a Shilen #4 24" long and it's more like a light varmint than a big game rifle. I regret it as this was to be my companion rifle for all things. The cartridge stands for itself. Comparable ballistics to any of the other mid / standard length cartridges. Accuracy potential is great in a good barrel and chamber. Mine easily goes 1/2 moa out to 400 yds with hunting bullets. Bedded in a B & C Medalist and topped with a Leupold 6X-18X .
    Good info....Thanks

What is the 150 bullet you're using and the COAL to reach the lands?

Also, your #4 Shilen I believe would be same/similar contour to my Bartlein #3, a heavy sporter. What is the weight of your rifle, scoped and loaded? I'm still looking for that compromise in weight for easy carrying but also still be able to reach out accurately. If you were to do it again, what finished weight would you shoot for?