Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    They are awesome traps! I love em! Except I got my thumb in one a little bit the other day and that wasn't fun.. It's fun to watch them go off. Lol I haven't read anything that says you have to use offset jaws in Wyoming. The regs have a snare specification but nothing for foot holds. I've just been told the offset is the best way to go. I've pretty much self taught myself to trap. Lol

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
    I trap here in Australia but it is the off season as it is Summer, and the lambs have already dropped.
    Fox, pigs and Dingo.

You have to use live traps here in the Capitol Territory as the odds are you will catch something that is considered to be native wildlife and can not be killed.

I had 3 live traps on a farm near my house trying to help out the farmer, who's sheep were getting slaughtered by foxes (foxes in Australia are the 30 pound English variety not the 10 pound American kind). The 3 traps ended up getting stolen about a month into the winter, and all I ever caught was wallabys and brushy tailed possums.

Next season ( our last one in Australia), I am going to see if I can find a place to snare in the New South Whales as they have more unrestrictive rules.

Jen do you snare? It's awesome, I used to snare a lot as a kid in Wyoming.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That's pretty cool!
    I do snare. This will actually be my first year doing snares as well. I never wanted to do them before on my parents ranch because I was worried about my dog but now I don't have to worry about that where I have my traps so I just have to finish getting my snares attached to my rebar and I will go set them as well!

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Just snare about 6-8 inches off the ground on coyote trails in the willows/sagebrush with a bunch of bait scattered through the area. Nice thing about snare, is that aren't looking for them like they are traps.

Or snare under fencelines where you have a game trail. Make sure it isn't an antelope crossing area, or you'll catch one of them.

For trapping, I am a certified pee-post nut for dogs. Though I have caught a couple bobcats on them set up for coyotes 20 years ago.

Stupid simple!

Pound a wood post into the ground, or use an old fenceline tree. Spray it with scent like a Seattle coyote/wolf rainstorm of pee. And bury a couple traps around it. 2 works well.

I have caught more cats on a dirt hole than anything.

I think Wyoming land owners can trap lions, you should ask. A big lion/wolf trap on a pee post set up should whack a lion for you.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Problem with big lion/wolf traps is they are expensive $50 each.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by jenbickel View Post
    Eberle- do you like your duke traps? That's what I was using and I was having troubles with them. I switched over to fully modified offset #3 Bridgers this year. They are mean little things!

Wycoyote- I don't blame you! I wish I had those tags! Lol

Edelweiss- what all can you trap down in Australia?!!!
    Bridgers are better traps. My furbuyer is a trap & supply dealer & when he first started out, all he carried was dukes. That is why I use them, plus everyhardware store around here carries them. I have modifed the trigger assembly on several of them. But for the most part, they have been good traps. I like the KB & Montana Specials the best, but they are expensive!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Cat season doesn't open til Dec.1 in Nebraska.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
    Just snare about 6-8 inches off the ground on coyote trails in the willows/sagebrush with a bunch of bait scattered through the area. Nice thing about snare, is that aren't looking for them like they are traps.

Or snare under fencelines where you have a game trail. Make sure it isn't an antelope crossing area, or you'll catch one of them.

For trapping, I am a certified pee-post nut for dogs. Though I have caught a couple bobcats on them set up for coyotes 20 years ago.

Stupid simple!

Pound a wood post into the ground, or use an old fenceline tree. Spray it with scent like a Seattle coyote/wolf rainstorm of pee. And bury a couple traps around it. 2 works well.

I have caught more cats on a dirt hole than anything.

I think Wyoming land owners can trap lions, you should ask. A big lion/wolf trap on a pee post set up should whack a lion for you.
    I will have to ask about lions. Although I don't know that I could kill a lion with my catch pole like I do bobcats and coyotes.. Lol one of my friends had a bobcat last year that got ahold of his leg while trying to get the catch pole around his neck. And with my t-Rex arms I'm guessing it wouldn't be fun. Lmao. I guess I could just shoot it though my dad wants me to go kill a lion off his place and get it made into a rug for him for Christmas. It's funny, my dad is really into hunting and guns and animals but doesn't actually hunt. He makes me do all the dirty work for him., but I can't really complain! Haha

Eberle- I absolutely love my Bridgers. I started out with dukes because they were cheaper and I wanted to make sure it was something I was really going to stay interested in before I spent a lot of money on everything. This year I finally took the plunge. Plus this year my son is almost 2 (November 30th) and so it is easier to take him with me.. And my daughter loves to go with and watch me set up traps. Have I mentioned how much I love my kids? Lol

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Jen,

I hope your son has a wonderful birthday! I guess he is a little young for a bb gun! LOL My Wife's b-day was on the 20th, I bought her a kindle fire hd. Becareful with those babies trapping! I would tell you to get ready for the terrible-two's, but with my kids when they were three it was the hardest. Hope you had a good Thanksgiving.

See Ya, Bryan

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Eberle View Post
    Jen,

I hope your son has a wonderful birthday! I guess he is a little young for a bb gun! LOL My Wife's b-day was on the 20th, I bought her a kindle fire hd. Becareful with those babies trapping! I would tell you to get ready for the terrible-two's, but with my kids when they were three it was the hardest. Hope you had a good Thanksgiving.

See Ya, Bryan
    Bryan- lol yes a little young for a BB gun. I got him a bow that shoots those darts that stick and a 3D blow up deer target. Haha. Although, the other night he took my other kids 15 lb bear bow and he was able to pull it back. He's destined to be a great bow hunter! Lol! Those kindle fire hd look awesome! I have a kindle fire and love it and then of course a couple months later the hd came out. Go figure right?! Lol hope your wife had a wonderful birthday! Thanks for the birthday wishes for my son! Hope you and your family had a great thanksgiving!