Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

What's the best bolt action?

What do you think is the best bolt action for a rifle? I've been looking at Dakota Arms & Winchester because I've been wanting a controlled round feed. Does anyone have any preferences as to which one is the best?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    While you're at it you might as well ask what the best pick up truck is.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Best

CRF? Full house custom Mauser 98 built by Saterlee. A Dakota wouldn't even be in the running compared to a one off hand built Mauser 98 built from scratch by one of the best gunsmiths in the world.

http://www.satterleearms.com/375_length.htm

A Granite Mountain Arms actioned Mauser would be 2nd best. http://www.granitemountainarms.com/index.html

If you don't use Saterlee then Joseph Smithson is probably the best custom maker in America.
    Check out his mounts! http://www.smithson-gunmaker.com/

Let's put it this way. I am an armorer, I can install barrels, do some stock work, true an action, fairly basic stuff. Smithson and Saterlee are gunmakers. A whole rung above me in the gunsmithing profession as far as knowledge.

If you want a trued M700 with a fiberglass stock call an armorer, if you want a mauser action made from scratch call a gunmaker.

These men are masters.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations

Look at these mounts on this Smithson rifle, the man is genius!

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I know lots of other makers, that are tops in their field.

You can spend more on a factory Mauser 98 from Mauser, but you won't get more than a Smithson or Saterlee.

Some Dakotas are more expensive than rifles built by both men.

And Dakota actions are similarly priced to a Saterlee or GMA.

These guys are so good, that unless things change when I feel I am ready, I won't be building anything but single shot and double rifles.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I got home and am uploading music to my itunes, and I thought I would kick this around a bit more.

I think it is very easy to run amuck on the concept of best.

What is the best American made factory bolt rifle for under $1500? I like to think that you have a lot of options. Ruger Mark II R77's are Controlled Round Feed, so are Kimber 8400/84 rifles, and the new production South Carolina FN Winchester M70s are as well.

The Ruger is solid value for money, is the only CRF factory rifle made in America that offers integral scope mounts, and has a hammer forged barrel built on a Steyr-Mannlicher hammer forge, a lot of the new ones shoot very well.

Kimbers are built to be light. Some shoot some don't, kind of like the Ruger. No integral mounts.

Winchester M70s from FN are fantastic rifles, they also don't have integral mounts but no M70 ever has.

If you want a very nice factory rifle all 3 companies offer that. Winchester has some wonderful new editions like the Alaskan model that I think are very nice. I have not got to play with the Alaska model yet, but as soon as my feet touch America I'll get one to try. I have owned several M70's from the old New Haven plant, most of the non-pre 60 models were crap. Even several CRF supergrades, that I saved long and hard to buy were an incredable dissapointment.

For a long time I wouldn't touch a Winchester M70, and now that FN has them built in the FN plant quality has come back to the name.

There are a very limited number of CRF factory rifles available that are not made in America. This would include the Austrian Company Voere, the Czech company CZ, and the Yugoslavian built rifles who's name has changed several times.

Voere rifles are not imported as they have not bought into the State Departments fee structure for foreign made firearms. There are always Voere rifles on Gunbroker.

CZ has a wonderful reputation in America.

The Yugoslavian rifles have even been imported by Remington as Model 798. They were ok, for what they are.

You could also find a Argentina 1903 mauser and have it rebuilt, or buy a ideally a FN commercial 98 in the form of a J.C. Higgins Sears and Roebuck mauser.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It's almost impossible to compare 40/50/60's era rifles with what we can get today. Knowledge. engineering and performance are totally different! We also demand more from our firearms that we used to. Rifles have evolved just like todays optics as compared to the same eras I mentioned. Our options for ammunition and components have evolved too. We get and demand performance that was unthought of previously.

I have several gun safes full of all types of big game rifles. Most are still older stuff that still shoot well and satisfy my requirements. I suppose if I wanted to consistantly kill animals at over 500 yards, I might need to spend some $$$ and get one of the new state of the art rifles. The closest I come is a rebarreled, restocked commercial Mauser in .300 Wby that will do a great job (moa) out to 600 yards, which is the furthest I've ever shot it. Everyone has their own requirements for what they plan on doing with their rifle. Mine all do what I want them to do.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    There are lots of custom and semi-custom gun makers, and most claim they are best at what they do. Some make 20 pound varmint rifles, while others focus on 5 pound mountain rifles, and other yet believe in fancy engraving and extravagant wood.
    You really need to define some parameters. To this open ended question I might choose a Holland and Holland double rifle for about $150K+, but I won't plan to take it sheep hunting anytime soon.

Kimber makes quality production rifles at a cost far less than Dakota. Nothing wrong with Dakota, but the great wood and finish doesn't make them kill better, or any more accurate. Most brands produce rifles capable of accuracy less than 1", but many hunters can't perform this well themselves repeatedly.

Decide what purpose you envision for the gun, whether it is investment, target practice, or specific type of hunting. Plan your purpose with the goal in mind, and don't get hung up in endless debates about best.
    llp

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    llp,

I think Dakotas have very average wood for the price they charge. Things are better now that Dakota is owned by Remington, but not much.