Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    A big reason most of us subscribe to Eastman's is the MRS, which will help you apply in whatever state you want. If you are a subscriber, you can get on the site here and look at backissues of the MRS and figure out any state you want and see what last year looked like. I'd skip the application services and just do it yourself. I put mine on a credit card for the states that require upfront fees. Realistically, it would be hard to learn every state in one year. Sounds like you have Wyoming down. This year, you can add New Mexico - no points, straight lottery. Utah is pretty easy, I just picked that up last year. Montana is another one with long odds where the premier species are easy to apply for. I do all those and buy Colorado points. I will probably start applying in Arizona this year for the first time. It can be initimidating to start learning a state, but once you dive in and do it once, its very easy thereafter, just gotta get in there.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you apply for every state out west it can be extremely expensive. My reccommendation is to do it yourself & forget app services. If you have a vehicle, tractor, boat, livestock or whatever for collateral. Figure up your total cost to apply & go down to the bank. Take a 6 month balloon note. As you get refunded pay on your note. It will cost you a little bit of interest, but you gotta pay to play!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Eberle View Post
    If you apply for every state out west it can be extremely expensive. My reccommendation is to do it yourself & forget app services. If you have a vehicle, tractor, boat, livestock or whatever for collateral. Figure up your total cost to apply & go down to the bank. Take a 6 month balloon note. As you get refunded pay on your note. It will cost you a little bit of interest, but you gotta pay to play!
    Or, just get a 6 month no interest credit card, and pay it all back when the fees are returned. Cost you no interest!
    I have a Bank of America card that currently offers 12 month no interest, and it re-ups it every month.. I don't ever use it, but, I'd imagine that bad boy is gonna be gettin some work here in the next 3-4 months.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That will work too!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I replied a few days ago but I don't see my comment up so I'll try again. I started off using Cabela's TAGS two seasons ago as I was completely overwhelmed by all the options hunting out West. They were great in that you really sit down and discuss a plan and a strategy with them for applying. That being said, they are the most expensive. One other thing is that they don't always apply you for the "best" units (I understand that's a subjective term), but often will apply you where they have an outfitter they do business with.

I started getting more into Western hunting and so I bought a membership to the Huntin Fool. It has been a great resource in understanding where the top units are in each state. Their draw odds aren't always reflective of your true odds and you also run the risk of everyone with a subscription applying to the unit they say is the top, but it's a great resource for getting tidbits on all of the top units in a state.

This year I plan on doing all my applications myself. I find I enjoy the research (something to do in the offseason) and I'll likely save a few thousand dollars by taking it out of the hands of Cabela's. I use a Cabela's Visa to do my applications so that I get the points and Signature status for free (other than the interest I pay while I'm waiting for my refund). A no interest card would be another great way to go about it.

There are lots of things to consider while applying. Develop a strategy, really get a feel for what the odds are in the units you are applying and also understand which tags it's even possible to draw in each year. Like I said, it's something fun to do while the season is over and it can really consume your life! Good luck and I'd be happy to answer any other questions!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bigeasygator For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    The fear I have of using one of those services is that they screw up like Cabelas did and don't mail your stuff in, in time to make the deadline.

I know hundreds of their customers lost tons of points over it. It happened in 2009 or 2010.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
    The fear I have of using one of those services is that they screw up like Cabelas did and don't mail your stuff in, in time to make the deadline.

I know hundreds of their customers lost tons of points over it. It happened in 2009 or 2010.
    Ouch.. I don't think "Sorry, and here's $100 in Cabelas gift cards" would make up for that!

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    What if you had 17 points in Wyoming.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Yeah, one lost point can sometimes add 5+ years to what it takes to draw. I am one behind in Arizona for sheep and I figure it will take me around 12 additional years to draw over those with max points.