Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Where I live in NE Oregon there are literally 100's of deer within a mile of the city limits, because the wolves, bears and cougars have got them all pushed out of the mountains. It's almost a daily occurrence to see a 24" wide 4X4 walking thru town. But it's getting tough to find quality deer or elk in the mountains!
    NRA Life Member OHA Life Member
    Hunter for Life

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 82 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Where I live in NE Oregon there are literally 100's of deer within a mile of the city limits, because the wolves, bears and cougars have got them all pushed out of the mountains. It's almost a daily occurrence to see a 24" wide 4X4 walking thru town. But it's getting tough to find quality deer or elk in the mountains!
    I know what you mean Jerry, same deal where I live . It doesn't have anything to do with wolves however. The deer feel safer in town than they do in the wild, you are just as likely to see a big buck in Bend than you will out side of town.

I spent 2 weeks on a sheep hunt not far from Joseph last year, I saw 2 nice bucks in that time frame. I acually was thinking about deer hunting there because thats more than I normally see in units closer to home. But that hunt takes 2 years to draw and its a 8.5 hr drive, then a 4 mile hike to where I saw the bucks.

I've decided to try Idaho for mule deer next year, I don't know where yet. Then Montana is 2014, I have a friend there that said to come on over. Oregon is becoming a waste of time, beside the fact that it takes at least 3 years to draw a Mule Deer tag anywhere I like to hunt. I have 3 step daughters that I'm trying to get involved in hunting. Its hard to keep them intersted when you have to wait 3 years to hunt for 13 days. Then when you do draw you have to work your butt off to find a deer. There's also too much pressure to be successful knowing you will have to wait 3 more years before you get another chance.

I am going to start building point in other states too, I have to do something differant. Wating 3 or more years for 13 days to hunt Mule deer isn't working for me. The way the points creep is It will be 4 years to draw a tag soon, and I'm just plain tired of hunting Blacktail in the thick stuff, which is the OTC alternative for rifle huning deer. I don't want to be the Non-resident that people don't want in their state, but I gotta do something!