Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Any clue what temperature your smoker was at? Sure looks good!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That roast looks awesome. Even after pounding down lots of turkey its making me hungry again.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Think I may have to take a deer roast out of the freezer when i get home. Man those look good!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by CoHiCntry View Post
    Any clue what temperature your smoker was at? Sure looks good!
    I do not. It is just Brinkman briquette smoker, nothing fancy. It has a gauge on the lid that says where it is at in the the warm, ideal, or hot range. All I know is it was in the ideal range about mid-way point. On a turkey I will put about 3/4 of a gallon of water in the container in the smoker, but on this roast I only used two quarts. It cooked it hot enough that it didn't lose it's texture and get soft. I had a meat thermometer in the roast but when I checked it 1.5 hours into cooking, it was done so I pulled it right away. As I said, I like it just wee bit pinker in the middle, but it sure was moist and tender and was not dry in the least!

David
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You don't even need a smoker to do this, and it works great with just standard Weber BBQ. It is not quite the same, but I have done a lot of roast in this fashion. I take a large roasting kettle or pan and put a little cooking oil in it and then wipe the insides to keep things from sticking. I put in a little water, not a lot, probably a couple cups of water. I put whatever seasoning I want on a nice deer, antelope, or elk roast and put it in the kettle. I chunk up potatoes, onions, carrots, celery, and throw in some fresh sliced mushrooms on top of the roast. Once my coals are nice and gray I dump a bunch of apple, hickory, or what type of wood chip you want to try on the coals. Of course I soak them for about an hour in a bucket of water. This helps them to smoke a lot more and they don't burn up so quickly. Right after I put the chips on the coals, I put the kettle/roaster with the roast in it on the grill inside. I put the lid on the roaster but I leave it off-set a bit so that the wood smoke can circulate up into the roaster and back out. I open the air vents on the Weber about half-ways open and it cooks in about an hour just like it would in an oven. I prefer my wild game medium rare and just check it when it's starting to look like it is finished. The potatoes and other vegetables are cooked and good to go when the meat is finished. This is a meal fit for a king and you have managed to only dirty one dish! So if you do not have a smoker, this way works just as good!!
    David
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson