Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think if your wanting to hunt federal land the price should be the same ! We are supposed to all own it and I have 2 sons that spent a total of almost 7 years when you add it all up on combat deployments and 1 of them earned the purple heart fighting for that land.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    A NR isn't paying to hunt on the land in Colorado. You're paying to hunt our animals which are maintained by the state.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    You're paying to hunt our animals which are maintained by the state.
    ...and paid for with license money. Our G & F dept is an "enterprise" here in Colorado. This means it is a business and as such gets no general fund money....it's on it's own as far as $$$$ goes.
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 11-26-2012 at 04:54 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    LOL old hunter... they can spin it any way they want to.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If residents had to pay $1,000 instead of $75 or whatever they charge, you'd see a dropoff!

Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    The problem is for sheep you would probably have to get tag prices up over $10,000 before you'd start to see good draw odds. New Mexico already charges $3000 for sheep tags and they have no lack of interest.

If you are talking deer of elk, if the tag prices got up near $2000, I'd probably just buy a landowner tag.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    btw how does a NR move to 10 states? haha.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Honestly if we don't start seeing fairer prices in hunting, NR's will just start buying landowner tags, or not traveling out of state, or choosing other states.

like WY wants to charge NR $7500 for a grizzly tag?? that's for a tag, no guide, no outfitter, I can almost pay that for a fully guided/outiftted grizzly hunt in AK! so what will NR's choose? a tag in WY for grizzly for 7500? or a fully outfitted hunt in AK for that same price?

states can't just keep expecting NR's to flip the bill when residents pay less than 1/10th for the same tag.

although WY seems to be moving towards a 1:10 ratio which at least makes residents pay a fair price to hunt local game vs. giving residents a discount and having NR"s make up the difference.

on top of that, bad odds, poor trophy quality, tons of tags, most of which are for residents, NR's will start hunting less and doing it on private land/outfitted if these trends continue if you ask me.

btw 1:5 tag fee ratio would be very fair, 1:10 is the max ratio IMO that isn't really fair but isn't outrageous, 1:10 is still better than 1:43 is essentially what I'm saying.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm so glad I retired from hunting. It's getting ridiculous. Give me back the old days.

Then again. I pay $1.00 for a fishing license, and can fish the whole state 365 days a year. Life is good again.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyMusky View Post
    Honestly if we don't start seeing fairer prices in hunting, NR's will just start buying landowner tags, or not traveling out of state, or choosing other states.

on top of that, bad odds, poor trophy quality, tons of tags, most of which are for residents, NR's will start hunting less and doing it on private land/outfitted if these trends continue if you ask me.
    It is all based upon supply and demand. If nr quit coming then prices will come down a little on the nr tag and up a little on the instate tag. If everyone starts going with private land/ outfitted hunts then the cost of that will go up a little. Your going to have to figure out if you want to pay now or pay later. Either way you are going to have to pay!

I've got an idea. Why don't all non residents boycott Colorado, or Wyo, or Montana, or..... for the next 3 years and see where that gets you.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by BKC View Post

I've got an idea. Why don't all non residents boycott Colorado, or Wyo, or Montana, or..... for the next 3 years and see where that gets you.
    If that happens, there will be less than 1/2 as many hunters in my area of Colorado.!!! Lots more secluded, uncrowded places to camp and hunt. Bet that NEVER happens.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley