Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nightforce NSX 5.5x22x50mm

Dose anyone have a Nightforce NSX 5.5x22x50mm zerostop? I about to make the plunge on one of these scopes. I have a co worker that dose long range tactical shoots and he swears by this scope. Just wondering on the redicale choice, which would be best for long range hunting? He tells me the BDC would be a waste and I should go with a mil dot type. He says I can then use it on multiple guns. Any suggestions would be great. Also I was wondering what scopes would compare to the performance of the NSX?
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That is a super nice scope, but the SWFA SS 5-20 is a little better optically, less expensive, FFP, and you only give up zero-stop.

http://swfa.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Bitterroot has got a valid point and he get's to mess around with a lot of quality optics, but you very rarely see anything other than Nightforce's on precision bench or f-class guns, at least thats what I see at the shoots I go to.
    #KEYSTONE

TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    At the F-Class and Tactical matches I shoot at every weekend in Australia, there are about 50-100 shooters per match. 8 out of 10 have a Nightforce. 1 in 10 has a Premier, March, US Optics or Schmidt Bender, and the other 1 in 10 shoots a Leupold Target or Weaver target scope.

NSX is MILSPEC.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've got nothing against Nightforce, and I have never even heard of one that didn't track well, but I am just trying to get 24-7 the most scope for his dollar. That SS is an awesome scope.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the input guys! What redicale would you recomend for long range hunting/target shooting? I was thinking the MOAR, or MIL-DOT if I go with Nightforce.
    I'm kinda digging the zerostop, but I still might consider SWFA SS 5-20.

I can get a killer deal on Leupould and a ok deal on Zeiss tactical scopes. Should I be looking at those as well?
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Zeiss tactical scopes are awesome. Match your reticle to your adjustments. The SWFA is mil/mil. Nightforce is available in MOA/MOA and mil/mil I believe.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The MOAR is an awesome reticle. I've got a buddy with one and he really likes it. I have found the NPr's to be too thin for a dedicated hunting scope. The MOAR is a tad thicker, but not too thick. NXS are great scopes. I personally like MOA over Mil. You need to decide what works best for you.

The SWFA is also a nice scope. My brother has one of those. But the reticle sucks IMO. Crappy design in an FFP scope. And the reticle is pretty thick for precise work at closer ranges, ie load testing at 100/200.

Another scope to consider would be the Vortex Razor. It's not much more than a NXS. They have a new MOA retcile on their website that I really like. But no scopes have been released with it yet. Supposedly after SHOT they will start shipping.

And, again, you might want to wait until after SHOT in January to buy any new optics. I know that NF is releasing a new FFP high mag scope, if that interests you. Although price will be in line with Schmidt's. Also, Bushnell will be releasing I believe a "XLR" 4-30x50 scope. It should be similar to their HDMR, but with more mag, 10 mil turrets, and a zero stop.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Whiskey brings up some great points. I can't believe I skipped over the Razor. It is a sweet, sweet scope with a great zero stop and awesome reticles. I prefer mil to MOA, but just cause it is a little coarser.

I kind of like the SWFA reticle's thickness for a FFP design, but again, that is preference.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You are so right, BB. Much of it is personal preference. Each person needs to decide what works best for them. Fortunately there are so many options out there, unfortunately I have limited money. It's nice to have friends and family who share the same interests, then you can check out their equipment without having to buy.

One thing I'd make dang sure you do 24/7, is buy a scope with matching reticle and turrets. If you get a Mil based reticle, make sure the turrets are also Mil. If you prefer MOA, make sure to get a MOA reticle with MOA turrets. I'm actually not aware of any scopes where you can get a MOA reticle with Mil adjustments. But there are LOTs of scopes with Mil reticle, and MOA adjustments.