Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

First D7 bear hunt.

I had to get a bear tag this year, usually get a dear. I don't have any dogs or a clue how to up my odds. Any tips? Thanks.

So.Cal., but don't hold that against me...UPDATE, soon to be NM
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you have the same luck I have in D7 all it takes to have a bear walk up on you is not have a tag in your pocket. Everytime I have hunted there without a tag I see bears, everytime I have a tag I see no bears. I finally gave up and went to a different unit. There are a ton of bear in D7 at least there used to be. In fact I almost got run over by a big 'en just above Courtright Reserviour about 10 years ago archery hunting deer and of course I didn't have a tag in my pocket. I wouldn't worry about dogs, don't think you can use them in Calif during deer season anyway, I believe you can after but check the regs. We got some funky F&G laws when it comes to Big Game hunting out here, one of the reasons I'm moving on to other pastures. From my experience there are a lot more bears on the western slope of the Sierras than the eastern slope. Most of the bears I see on the eastern slope are in towns and campgrounds.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by NoMoreOldNo7 View Post
    If you have the same luck I have in D7 all it takes to have a bear walk up on you is not have a tag in your pocket. Everytime I have hunted there without a tag I see bears, everytime I have a tag I see no bears. I finally gave up and went to a different unit. There are a ton of bear in D7 at least there used to be. In fact I almost got run over by a big 'en just above Courtright Reserviour about 10 years ago archery hunting deer and of course I didn't have a tag in my pocket. I wouldn't worry about dogs, don't think you can use them in Calif during deer season anyway, I believe you can after but check the regs. We got some funky F&G laws when it comes to Big Game hunting out here, one of the reasons I'm moving on to other pastures. From my experience there are a lot more bears on the western slope of the Sierras than the eastern slope. Most of the bears I see on the eastern slope are in towns and campgrounds.
    Unless it has changed, you could use dogs during deer season, but you are limited to one dog per licensed hunter. No limit on dogs after deer season closes.
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Is there anything I can do to have a better chance? I'm not going to be able scout or anything, just going to show up and hope for the best. Have to thanks Wild Justice this year for my lack of a deer tag.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Not really. But what you can do is ask around camps of "Bear Problems" you would be suprised most people are terrified of them and are more than willing to help you out by letting you know where they are seeing them. But on a side note just make sure you stay legal and dont shoot a bear in a camp!!! ( NO BUENO)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Most of the time I see bears they're just crusin around , you need alot of luck to come across one. At least I do anyways. Good luck
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Muleys 24/7 View Post
    Most of the time I see bears they're just crusin around , you need alot of luck to come across one. At least I do anyways. Good luck
    Definatly in the same boat everybody sees bears but me.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Muleys 24/7 View Post
    Muleys,
    I know Sawfish does some bear hunting in our local mtns. . Maybe he could help you with some info. In D14 I can tell you where the majority of bears are. All on east side. If you want I can PM you where I always see them. I have some great pics of a blonde sow with 2 blonde cubs up close. Have seen red/brown and black in same area. Got great pics of bighorns there also . Some were printed in the Society for Bighorn Sheep magazine. I was told that in the 1950's they turned loose some trouble bears from Yosimite in the vicinity of where I always see them. that's why a lot of bears .

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Sorry just noticed this thread. This info is for next year I guess, all you need to do is find side hills loaded with berry bushes and sit and wait. Pick a stand where you can watch the side hill from the opposite side, the bears will sometimes bed in the berry bushes and wake up and feed through-out the day. This method was successful in D8 early season and in Idaho during the spring season. Good luck