Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unit 76?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unit 76?

I would like to hear some opinions on 76. What is the trophy potential for elk in this unit? How would it compare to hunting 80 OTC? Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 3 Posts
    Unit 76 NR Elk takes 10-18 points to draw depending on what weapon or season. I've got a buddy that drew out a few years back took him 15 points. He was very disappointed in the hunt. He is one of the best expierenced hunter's I know & he come home empty handed. Colorado Cowboy, Extreme or Old Hunter can give you a better answer than I can though.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eberle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I spent time in unit 76 while sheep hunting but that was back in '03. Saw tons of elk but was not paying attention to trophy quality. Since then I've thought about applying in that unit and am just about ready to do so-I have enough points to draw a muzzleloader tag there. When I talked to the DOW guy from that unit earlier this year he said unit 76 is a great hunting unit, lots of elk and they limit the tags so it is a great hunting experience, but he said don't expect trophy quality to be what you would find in a "trophy unit".

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sheephunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Unfortunately I don't know a lot about 76. Spent some time in the western part and saw lots of great country, but thats about it for me.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    My take on some of these marginal trophy units is this. I believe that some units that take 10-15 points are tough to draw is because some hunters, in state or NR, get tired of chasing the real good units which can take over 20 points now. They see the point creep, they do the math, they factor in their age and they put in for the next best unit that they have a real chance at. 76 is one of these units. It becomes an artificial trophy unit because of the points it takes not because of the trophy potential. I have a boat load of points and can hunt anywhere I want to for elk but if I had to do it again, I would get a lot better with my bow and get into elk every year, maybe not with trophy potential, or hunt with my ML every two or three years and chase bulls in the 300 range. Being in state makes this easier because of the cost of going home empty handed is not a big hit in the wallet like NR have.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BKC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    BKC,

I agree with you.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think comparing 76 to 80 OTC is like comparing apples to oranges. They are not in the same category!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I archery hunted it in '10 with an outfitter. I booked with Aaron Laske, of Wilderness Adventures, you can look him up and see pictures of some of the bulls he has taken out of 76. I shot a small 5x5 on the third evening, it was my first elk with a bow so I wasn't being picky. We heard lots of elk but I didn't lay my eyes on very many of them, so I can't tell you much about how big the bulls are. Out of the bulls I did see none were real big. The guy in camp with me did shoot a 300ish bull. We didn't have to hike very far from camp to get into elk. We were in NF that we accessed through private ground.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 12 Times in 1 Post
    Ya I have 18 elk points for CO & they are about worthless. My buddy has just enough to draw archery 76. If I understand right, the mzl runs simultaneous with archery. So if that is correct we can hunt together with diff weapons.

Since CO cheapened the NR points with the 40% rule I have zero chance at a NW unit.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hey Zim,

what is the 40% rule?