Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: water filter

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob P View Post
    http://www.clearbrookwaterbottlefilters.com/

Have any of you used this type of water filter before? I first saw a very similar product at the ISE, but didn't buy one. I know Katadyn makes one that is similar, but you have to suck the water out from what I understand. This one allows you to squeeze the bottle. It's very light weight, don't remember the exact weight, but definitely lighter than my Hiker pro. Plus it eliminates the need for a regular water bottle. Just wondering if anyone has any info on them.
    They are pretty cool for day hikes but not really practical for backpacking. As you can only get 22oz or so at a time. Also the one I had you had to squeeze pretty hard to get the water to come out which was a pain.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob P View Post
    http://www.clearbrookwaterbottlefilters.com/

Have any of you used this type of water filter before? I first saw a very similar product at the ISE, but didn't buy one. I know Katadyn makes one that is similar, but you have to suck the water out from what I understand. This one allows you to squeeze the bottle. It's very light weight, don't remember the exact weight, but definitely lighter than my Hiker pro. Plus it eliminates the need for a regular water bottle. Just wondering if anyone has any info on them.
    I have used Katadyn's version on day trips and it works out ok, you can squeeze the bottle on theirs as well. It's fast as far as filling up goes but it takes a lot of work to get much of a drink because you are filtering the water as you drink. And like S&S said it only holds 22oz so you have to have access to water all the time to refill it. I think overall they are more of a pain than they are worth.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by S&S Archery View Post
    I have used the MSR hyperflow for three years now. It is an awesome filter and I believe one of the lightest and smallest. Super easy to clean and operate. Mine hooks right up into my hydration tube so I don't ever have to take it out of the pack.
    The hyperflow looks like an awesome filter set up from the videos I just watched but it gets a lot of negative reviews on REI. Have you ever had any problems with it clogging? It sounds like it is really fragile as well, like it can't be exposed to freezing temps or dropped. People on REI said they were having it clog with as little as 5 liters of clean water being pumped through and back-flushing wouldn't solve the problem. Another complaint was that the floating prefilter sucks a lot of air. Just wondering if you have experienced any of these issues. Thanks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by elktracker View Post
    The hyperflow looks like an awesome filter set up from the videos I just watched but it gets a lot of negative reviews on REI. Have you ever had any problems with it clogging? It sounds like it is really fragile as well, like it can't be exposed to freezing temps or dropped. People on REI said they were having it clog with as little as 5 liters of clean water being pumped through and back-flushing wouldn't solve the problem. Another complaint was that the floating prefilter sucks a lot of air. Just wondering if you have experienced any of these issues. Thanks.
    Yeah if I remember right a lot of the early models had some clogging problems and that is most of the bad reviews on REI. I always back flush mine in between trips when I get home and have never had a problem.

The pre-filter has a little velcro attachment on it that I always use to attach a small rock and submerge the pre-filter.

As far as freezing I have read that as well but once again I haven't had a problem. I backpack starting next weekend for Bear all the way through the end of November so I've hit some pretty cold temps.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by elktracker View Post
    I have used Katadyn's version on day trips and it works out ok, you can squeeze the bottle on theirs as well. It's fast as far as filling up goes but it takes a lot of work to get much of a drink because you are filtering the water as you drink. And like S&S said it only holds 22oz so you have to have access to water all the time to refill it. I think overall they are more of a pain than they are worth.
    Thanks. Think ill just stick with my hiker pro then

Thanks
    Congratulations
    im not even going to lie to anyone. the Katadyn Base Camp Micro Filter is by far the best filter system i have used......it is a little bigger but the amount of water and how fast you get water is unbelievable. it is more of a base camp filter, but it holds a lot of water and can just be opened up to fill bottles or fill up other "holding tanks".

the way four of us used it was to pack in a "holding tank", a collapsible plastic 5 gallon h2o container, and we just kept that full of clean water. we usually filled it once a day. plenty of water for 4 of us everyday. it was quick and the filter never clogged, but we did keep it out of the moss and vegetation. i would never go into the backcountry without it.....just saves a lot of time and energy. one or two times a day filling up the bag, and you have water for days. takes a couple of minutes to filter the bag full of water (about 2.5 gallons of water), is all.

its not as small and handy on the trail, but for over a week use.....you cant beat it. it will save you time and energy and you will always have more than one bottle of h2o on hand at all times.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Has anyone ever used the MSR MIOX system? Just curious what the thoughts are.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I use the Sawyer squeeze water filter. Light weight and works great. I also carry 2 of the bags for it empty just in case one leaks or I need to pack more water for some reason.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'd recommend using the Katadyn Micropure water tablets, they are fast, effective, and pretty affordable. Also if you want to be extremely lightweight use a "steripen". The steripen is a water purifier that uses an advanced shade of light to take out the harmful contents in water. Just be sure to bring a few extra batteries in case they run out but the steripen has great battery life and can purify liters and liters of water.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I use iodine tablets, but am seriously considering getting a steripen.