Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks

hunting national forest lands

time and again i read where "some" nr's think that just because national forest is set aside for all to enjoy, they have the right to hunt the animals that reside there despite the fact that the state's have the duty and task of managing big game within its states boundries. what is so hard to understand about that? what gives with this argument? is this a liberal argument for the most part or am i missing something here? help me out with this.
    I Love the smell of Elk in the mornin
    The arrow is everything

Thanks
    "national forest is set aside for all to enjoy" except you can't enjoy it while hunting if your a NR #1 Who's tax dollar go's to fund the Dept of Interior (BLM) or Dept of Agriculture (USFS) ? #2 Who funds the Federal Fish and Wildlife who in turn does the wildlife studys and funds and grants the state study's ? Who do you think sets population objectives on the federal land ? If 20% of the tags on NF go to the NR than 20% of the NF budget should go to the NR.

Thanks
    you can enjoy hunting NF lands if you draw a tag which is set by the respective states game commissions. the states g&f dept's manage the game within its states boundries though. do you want to see the federal government take that authority away from the states and manage the game? if i'm not mistaken our management system was set up the way it is for a reason and that is to keep management in the states control so there would never be a possibility of having a system like King George had. personally i am not a fan of the USFW. i see what the effects of wolves have done. it wouldn't hurt my feelings to see this agency dissolved. that would save all of us a litte tax money.
    Last edited by trophyhill; 03-27-2011 at 01:28 PM.
    The arrow is everything

Thanks
    "IF" is the problem . My issue is with game that spends most of it's life on Federal land. Some places a NR can't even hunt on the NF. How can this be OK?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nylogger View Post
    "IF" is the problem . My issue is with game that spends most of it's life on Federal land. Some places a NR can't even hunt on the NF. How can this be OK?
    even residents deal with the "IF" aspect year to year. are you talking wilderness areas in WY? but regardless whether game resides on federal land or not, the states game commisions decide the # of tags that get doled out because that is the model. and let's keep in mind that states do not have to issue any big game tags to non residents if they choose not to. i think 1 of the Dakotas issues 0 elk tags to non residents.
    The arrow is everything

Thanks
    I think that all wildlife departments receive federal financial assistance from the USF&W service. In doing so they agree not to discriminate , violate civil rights and abide by a bunch of other Acts of congress. I understand about the game commissioner's role and who they answer to. I agree with states rights. What I have a problem with is the feds giving my tax dollars to state F&W that limit NR hunting on federal land. As far as I'm concerned if a state will not give equal opportunity to all residents of our country to hunt our federal land than no dollars should go to state F&W.

Thanks
    i belive that Nevada fish and wild life is funded soley by lic and tag sale and apps and we are over 80% federally owned how about congress matches federal ownership in all states then you could complain. the forest service and the blm wildlife biologists don't count or deal with "game animals " they deal with all the animals and the endangered spiecies act ( the worst act passed to date imho). F&W deal with this act also and migartory birds mainly and the refuges.
    That being said no body is violating your rights animals that don't " cross state line " do not come under federal controll. Nylogger go hunt forerst service land just please do it east of the Mississippi !

Thanks
    if NV takes no federal dollars than NV can have all wildlife for it's residents. If your post is accurate and 80% is federally owned than NV takes a bunch of our money so why are we paying full price for limited opportunity. It"s like saying to a NR, "you can go to the grand canyon but you can't take any pictures without a permit and we don't give many out".

Thanks
    When I lived in Idaho I never had a problem with the NRs. They paid three times the fees, stayed on the flat land and hunted from the roads. For some reason everything ran up hill to me
    Christian/Father/Husband/Hunter/NRA Life Benefactor /GOA Life Member/American/USAF NCO

Thanks
    Trophyhill,

This thread is a clear an attmept to justify your own lobbying for the NM reduction in nonresident tags. The urge to extort NRs and fill the state treasury with money from non-voters is a sign of the moral bankruptcy in our state governments.

I am strongly in favor of states rights. I don't believe any sane person wants the feds involved in wildlife managemetn decisions. Ask Alaskans, or think of the wolf issue. Terrible idea to have the feds involved. We are all, however, citizens of the US. The continuing trend to try to generate additional revenue from NRs is only justified by saying"there is nothing they (NR) can do about it". This doesn't make it right. Fees that are often more than 10x the cost of resident licenses, upfront license costs, and smaller tag quotas each year will eventually kill the golden goose. And the residents almost always buy into this scheme (at least initially) thinking they will magically have better or more hunting once the evil NR are gone. The states with the most discrimination (against NR) have the highest resident fees, and generally the worst resident hunting.

The federal land issue is jsut a side issue, that is really not the question. It isn't too different than asking why someone from NM has to pay taxes for the US Navy, since NM is not a coastal state. We should at least try to treat all US citizens equally.

llp
    Last edited by llp; 04-11-2011 at 02:25 PM.