Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    CC... you realize that a 10" fence wouldnt contain most squirrels...let alone wolves.. not sure if you meant a 10' fence which would have entailed it being basically its own ecosystem like a high fence operation. . Aside from that, the wolves were introduced at the same time as YNP, into most of Idaho and portions of Montana simultaneously. The whole scenario was ridiculous and unfortunately sponsored entirely by sportsman dollars, yet now that the Anti's love these things, its still OUR dollars that pay for them. Which is ridiculous.

As well, the wolves have not nearly taken off around YNP as they have in Idaho. Idaho is more or less one continuous mountain range which has enabled the wolves to spread and grow rapidly, where as Wyoming and Montana have more separated mountain ranges that have helped contain the spread of wolves. Wyoming has less than MT, and ID because of that reason especially. I guide right up to the line against Yellowstone in WY, so I am well aware the situation there, as I have also guided in the Frank Church Wilderness in Idaho. At least in WY, we still kill bulls of size, in Idaho we were lucky to even see elk sometimes. Its unfortunate for sure, and even though we now have seasons, the hunting will always be different and wolves will always be here. Idaho has a trapping program which is a great way to get at the high population during winter now that these wolves have become enlightened to hunters. They are a smart animal, and definitely will not be going away anytime soon. The hunting seasons, will never bring back the game that used to thrive before the wolves arrived.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yes I meant 10 Feet, but my fingers just didn't get to the correct key....a common occurance for me! I did not know about putting wolves in the areas outside the park. You are right about how smart they are and that they are here to stay.

The thing that really scares me is that I believe that they will eventually be here in Colorado! There has already been 2 documented (but not highly publicized) cases of collared Yellowstone wolves found dead here in northern Colorado. They may not be a problem here in my lifetime, but it only a matter of time.

All done with our $$$ and the Endangered Species Act................
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    We have rapidly spreading packs here in North Central WA, but I haven't seen any differences yet in the deer & elk populations. It's still Winter in the high country though, and while Wenatchee's outskirts had a wolf a couple of weeks ago, nothing yet in Leavenworth area. The wolf was observed taking out an injured deer, and some idiot called the police, who "dispatched" the deer and hauled the carcass away so the wolf was forced to hunt again.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Wow!! First post here, and I'm a "junior member"! That's cool, to be a junior ANYTHING, at almost 65 years old Haven't been carded in so long I forgot what it's like!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    They affected my last elk hunt in Oregon's Silvies unit several years ago. We hunted the same area we usually do well in for several days with no luck, we couln't figure it out. We found elk before the season was over, but not where we usually hunt. The last nigh we heard wolves howling from camp and saw the tracks the next morning. It made sense then why were wern't seeing elk around camp. There are more in Oregon than they lead us to believe IMO. Without being able to use hounds for bear or cougar, now wolves, Oregon is in BIG trouble. Once the get into the Cascades, we will never control of them without poison.

Welcome to the forum MacD
    Last edited by Timberstalker; 05-02-2013 at 09:14 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Timberstalker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Yes I meant 10 Feet, but my fingers just didn't get to the correct key....a common occurance for me! I did not know about putting wolves in the areas outside the park. You are right about how smart they are and that they are here to stay.

The thing that really scares me is that I believe that they will eventually be here in Colorado! There has already been 2 documented (but not highly publicized) cases of collared Yellowstone wolves found dead here in northern Colorado. They may not be a problem here in my lifetime, but it only a matter of time.

All done with our $$$ and the Endangered Species Act................
    For me wolves are one of most powerful symbols of wilderness. Some of the first books I ever read as a kid were Jack London's White Fang and Call of the Wild. My dad likes to tell a story about me getting bullied at school and saying to him "and then I asked myself, what would White Fang do?" I guess I smashed the bully in the face with my lunchbox. I can't help but want to see them here in Colorado, but I'm sure not in any hurry given how they have torn up elk herds in ID and MT. I hope now that they are de-listed and eligible for state level wildlife management that Colorado can keep their numbers in check.

The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Wishing you had wolves in Colorado....You are about to get some major heckling about that statement..haha. Once the wolves push down that way, you wont only have a problem with massive amounts of hunters, you will start loosing the elk numbers that support it. . About a year ago a wolf that had been collared in Yellowstone was killed by a car in South Dakota...thats a lot of travel over both desert and mountains for one of them. Just goes to show that they can and will travel massive distances. Here is the article from a year ago... http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/wol...a4bcf887a.html

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    mtn guide is correct they where dropped into many areas at the same time. not just in yellowstone. the nez perce tribe was a big reason for the wolf transplanting into idaho. They wanted them. Personally we wouldn't be in the situation we are in if wyoming would have played with idaho and montana. Remeber the original charter was all 3 states had to have an approved wolf management plan. Idaho was first, montana second, and wyoming for whatever reason did not want to put one togehter. Therefore we as states where not allowed to manage the wolf. The wolf was allowed to do what they do and they have done it very well.

As far as hunting wolves, it is not easy, and the trappers seem to do a better job than the hunters.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I heard the collared wolf in Oregon was tracked clear over by medford or crater lake. that is a huge non-timbered area that she crossed to get there. They say she(I think) is wandering alone and has not found a mate. look out when she does.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Bailey View Post
    For me wolves are one of most powerful symbols of wilderness. Some of the first books I ever read as a kid were Jack London's White Fang and Call of the Wild. My dad likes to tell a story about me getting bullied at school and saying to him "and then I asked myself, what would White Fang do?" I guess I smashed the bully in the face with my lunchbox. I can't help but want to see them here in Colorado, but I'm sure not in any hurry given how they have torn up elk herds in ID and MT. I hope now that they are de-listed and eligible for state level wildlife management that Colorado can keep their numbers in check.
    I assume that you are a big game hunter because your here on this forum (altho not necessarily a given!). You had better hope they don't get a foothold here in Colorado. It is not only elk that will suffer population declines, deer will also be effected. In 2011 I was on a hunting trip to the Teton Wilderness (an area called Thorofare) near the SE corner of YNP. It is (or was) a pretty famous area for great elk and deer hunting. Notice I said was.... I hunted with an outfitter and in 6 hard days hunting only saw ONEdeer and 12 or 15 elk. Did see lots of bones and lots of wolves. Pretty sad siruation.

Colorado has some wonderful big game hunting that offers lots of opportunities for hunters (along with lots of money from the hunters). If you really want to see wolves, move to one of the areas where there are lots of them! If I ever see one here in Colorado its SSS time.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley