Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Planning mule deer hunt for 2015....need help

Hey guys I'm new to the forum and this is my first post...me and 3 buddy are planning a mule deer hunt for 2015 in Montana or Wyoming.started doing some looking into some info a couple weeks ago, we are going to do a DIY public land hunt. What public land would be good to start with. I'm getting to subscribe to eastmans hunting to get some info to. Never done this kind of hunt before any help would be great. Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Andrew, welcome to the forum. you have taken the first step, eastmans magazine will give you the starting point. The mrs section is a good hard copy guide of historically good units in an easy to read format. Best of luck to you.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    You have the time to do some good research and planning. Welcome to this part of the world!!!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks guys....been looking at some gear....backpacks, boots, tents....any suggestions?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Welcome to the forum Andrew. As far as your questions go your first stepping stone will be the forum and the magazine. Also you will need to figure out what type of hunt you want both states offer alot of different options when it comes to mule deer hunting from the eastern plains of the state to the western high country. Sky is the limit. As far as gear goes this is really going to hurt but I will treat it like a band aid and just say it. BUY THE BEST YOU CAN!! I cant stress that enough you might save a little here and there on certain items. But as far as comfort and saftey dont skimp. There are alot of reviews, reccomendations, and information on this site so if you are looking for something in perticular chances are it was gone over somewhere and you could search it. Good Luck with your planning and Welcome again.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have to echo that the type of hunt you want will determine all your options and where you end up going. Mule deer in the west live in very diverse country and depending on time etc. things can be very different.

That being said, if you are thinking WY start buying point now and expect the price of the tag to jump $200 between now and then. I have been hunting in WY and am looking to add MT to my list here pretty soon. My hunts have ranged from timberline in early October, to desert in September to 2 foot snow November. Really not sure why you would not include CO in your list but I would look at it as well. Do you want a back pack hunt? A hunt from a central location accessible by truck? Do you want to hunt early high, late low? Hit the rut? Do you want to see lots of deer and a lower chance of a big one. Or see fewer deer knowing that you have a better chance at finding an older age class of buck?

Over all it really depends on what you want. For a good general hunt I like the look of teh MT set up as you can hunt later then in general than you can in other western states...

Gear will all depend on what you decide for the hunt..,

Thanks
    Congratulations
    get points in both states, MT non-res deer only tag odds are like 60% or less I think?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You might want to look at the big horn mountains around buffalo wy that is region y lots of space, several walk in areas also, you might want to look at antelope while you are there, good luck