Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

How young is too young?

So I posted a picture of my son and his birthday present which was a little bow and a 3D deer target on Facebook. Like two days later I woke up and got on Facebook and my sons picture was everywhere except the photo had been altered a little ( they added the words ) and now it has gone absolutely viral. I'm finding it everywhere and there are lots of people of course bashing the picture saying my son is too young and I'm teaching him to be a killer.. So how young do you all think is too young to start them? He had been hunting with me since I was pregnant with him. I took my largest antelope to date with him in my tummy! He picked up his sister's 15lb bow and was able to draw it back so I figured it was time to teach him. I think it's never too young to start teaching them the basics of hunting and of course, SAFETY! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354804332.876943.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	4831Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354804345.863276.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	4832

The one without the words is obviously the one I posted and the other one is the one all over Internet now..

Thanks
    Well Jen, I think its disgusting that someone would take a picture of any child and do that. For goodness sakes, its a toy bow and deer. No different than nerf guns, or the cap guns I grew up with. Nothing wrong at all teaching the basics and focusing on safety. I bought both of my kids mathew's genesis bows last Christmas; were 8 and 7 at the time. I teach them bow basics and safety and we turn our shooting sessions into quality family time. Nothing wrong with that.

As for the taking of an animals life, I believe the child needs to have the mental capacity to be able to handle that exposure. Taking an animals life is serious business and something I don't believe an 8 year old can fully appreciate. I personally will evaluate my children and determine the "right time" for them to take their first animal. If I had to put an age limit, I'd say no earlier than 12. I know its every sportsmen dream to be able to hunt with and teach their children the magnificent world of hunting but I also believe the child needs to be mentally capable of processing that taking a life is serious business. Its not a video game.

Thanks
    Theres never an age limit to start your kids in the right direction. Your kids maturity level will dictate at what age and how far you can take them.

Thanks
    Jen,
    I would not let the haters get to you! I think that it is great that you are instilling the love of the hunt in your son. I agree with you that if he can draw the bow then teach him how to use it so he can learn to both use it correctly and with respect for the weapon and the game he will be pursuing. Haters gonna hate. Good for you!

Thanks
    Thanks Grizz I have received my fair share of "fan" mail from haters before and it's never really bothered me.. But seeing it under the picture of my kid, struck me on a different level! I don't let my kids shoot each other with nerf guns or play laser tag type stuff just because I don't like the whole idea of shooting each other. So it hurt to see people saying I'm a horrible parent and calling my kid names.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jenbickel For This Useful Post:

squirrelduster (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Haters gonna hate.

Jen, I don't think there's anything to be ashamed of regarding the second picture. They are clearly complementing you on getting your child started on the right path, and I would have to agree with them, you're doin it right!

I say keep up the good work!

Thanks
    It's just my opinion but I think there is a big movement targeting women who hunt by the anti hunting groups. I beleive that they see women hunters to be more of a threat to their movement.

There is a big difference between hunting animals and someone hunting people. In terms of human history going back thousands of years, not hunting animals or not teaching children to be hunters is a new concept.

+1 for me in supporting you jenbickel. You are teaching your children to respect human life and be safe and safe ethical hunters.
    Last edited by Kevin Root; 12-06-2012 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Typo

Thanks
    I know this is a bow hunting article, but I just HAVE to give you some support. When my son was 7 I bought him his first gun, a 20ga single shot shotgun. My Dad was a Hunter Safety Instructor, so my son took the class from his Grandpa. My Dad had a policy that as long as the child understood the concepts & questions, (he would even read the final exam to them) they passed. My son got his cert and we bought his license and he hunted doves with me.

Its NEVER too young to get them started!!! Don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise.

One more thing, this is exactly why I don't do social media
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Hey I saw that photo! I think I shared it too... Your doing a good job Jen, don't let anybody tell you different

Thanks
    Jen, are you sure this isnt being taken in the wrong context? Typically even with sarcasm you can tell when someone makes a demotivational poster. It is obvious that there hating. But with that poster that was edited with the wording I dont assume it as sarcastic. I see the poster as a thumbs up. People who are viewing the pic dont know you. How do they know you hunt/trap/fish. If you view the pic from a different angle and not from a personal standpoint. Its a kid with some toys learning an american heritage. I go to archery shoots all the time where there is little 2-3-4 year olds with their toy bows out there shooting the targets. The whole shoot will be put on hold for the kids to try a couple times before we continue. There is no such thing as too young. When he is older and decides he loves it or hates it. That is his decision. But for now your giving him a hobby and a passion outside of nintendo that keeps him active and learning. Thats just great parenting regardless how its chopped up!