Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

extreme alaskan outfitter frame pack....

Looking at this pack in cabelas and looks to be a good one. says its only 4700 cubic inches and i seen a lot of people posting that 5000 should be a minimum....anyone use this pack or one close to it?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Minimum for what exactly? It really depends on your style of hunting. I consider myself minimalist. I can do 5 days comfortably out of 3500.

I have not heard of that pack.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have one of the packs and it is amazingly comfortable. Tons of room. I put a bag of sand in it that weighs 50 pounds and use it for training.
    I haven't packed in anywhere with it but I walk three or four miles with no issues.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have this pack & frame. It's OK. Depending on the situation and how much gear I need sometimes I wish the bag was bigger. I used the frame to pack out a bull elk last year and it worked well. If you can get it on sale like I did it's tough to beat for the money, but I suspect if you're willing to spend more there are better quality pack & frame combos out there.
    Something also to think about-Cabelas customer service was great when my buddy had a problem with his pack (we both got them at the same time). We left our packs stashed out in the mountains and some kind of little critter got into his and chewed up part of the pack. he called Cabelas to find out the replacement cost; didn't hear much for awhile and was ready to write it off as a loss and then a whole new pack bag showed up in the mail...tough to beat that for customer service.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That is solid customer service. Even badlands makes you send in the front teeth of the critter that chews up your pack! I've been considering buying just the frame, since it can usually be had at a fairly decent price. A friend took the pack to Colorado on our hunt this fall. While it does haul massive loads, he said it was slightly uncomfortable

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have just the frame and have hauled loads of over 100 pounds with it relatively comfortable considering, I think its great as a meat hauler and always keep mine in the truck for a second or third trip. It is way to squeeky to hunt with though.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would imagine I have a dozen posts on this pack frame and I'll gladly pitch this product again. I don't think think there is a better value on the market. One small complaint is as mentioned the squeak, but I wouldn't give it that bad. And after about 20 heavy loads, mine just about disappeared. For heavy loads, 50 plus pounds, it's flat impressive and VERY comfortable. Last year, I had to use my buddies high end pack for a boned out deer, I was excited to have the chance to compare the 2. It did not even come close. The advantage of have the heavy load up tight against your back has immense value. Then there are 2 values of this pack that no one ever mentions:

1) when you have that heavy load and you need some sort of break, you can reach underneath your frame and lift up on the bottom of the bars with your hands. This transfer 20 plus pounds to give your back a break. This year I packed out my deer 2 1/2 miles and only had to take 1 break to rest with this combo.
    2) by far the biggest value of this pack on a daily basis is being able to sling your rifle over the top bar of this pack to carry the load of the rifle distributed over the frame vs. over one shoulder. This small thing is wonderful over a few days span. I'll try and find a pic to reference what I am talking about.

Love this pack and can confidently say the best pack on the market. And to address the 5,000 cu in... It's way too much. I dont use that bag I had it modified to about 3-3500. You cant have more than this if you are going into the back country on a hunt. Now days with better gear, more light weight, you just don't need a bag that big.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Here's that pic... Not sure if you can see it or not but the strap is looped over the frame. I tried to zoom in. One thing I forgot to mention... You can shave over a pound (I think) by going with the non-shelf model. Which is what I have.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bear 11.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	4844Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bear 11c.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	7.2 KB 
ID:	4845

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Montana brings up a good point about being able to hang your rifle on the bar of pack, forgot about that. Seems like a small thing but, does make a difference. I used mine this year while hunting over night with my badlands 2200 strapped to it, while hunting through out the day away from camp I would just carry the badlands with me, worked pretty well. I wish mine would stop squeaking as yours Montana , mine has a lot of miles on it and squeaks even with heavy breathing just standing still. Still a great pack for the money.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have had the same freighter pack with a large single compartment bag for over 20 years. It has 2 large pockets on the sides. It has the draw string top with the pull over top cover. I bought one of the expandable packs with all the pockets and it lasted for one scouting trip and it is in the back of the closet with memories of my sore back and shoulders. I can pack enough food for 10 days with my freighter pack in combination with my hunting day pack and the whole assembly was only 42lbs. Note that this included a full liter of water and my camera gear that probably weighs about 2 lbs or more. As Homegrown noted, I strap my daypack to the top bar and I have access to my water bottles, my camera, and other quicky items with very little effort. I have strapped my gun to the side of it before, but I usually just carry it. I agree with the earlier observation about holding up on the bottom of the frame for awhile to change up the load. I carried over 80 lbs boned elk this year for over 4 miles and only the legs hurt. I have hunted into an area with this "squeaky" frame pack loaded, but I found that if you are truly hunting slow, the squeaks pretty much go away. I will post a picture of my pack loaded up next time and share. I think we buy these fancy packs because of all the gizmos and pockets, but don't discount these super light freighter frames and the daypack combo.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tttoadman For This Useful Post: