Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 59

Thread: Packing Lite

  1. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Posts
    121
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The peanut butter and honey is a good idea. I add bacon to the sand which for more protein and calories. I am considering more sandwiches and bullion cubes. MH have a lot of sodium even people dehydrate own food but that seems like too much trouble

  2. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Western Oregon
    Posts
    97
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JNDEER View Post
    I am not a nutritionist nor a doctor, however, I consume 2000-2200 calories a DAY with little excersize to maintain my weight. If you only ate 1500 calories a day while hiking/hunting you would be about 2-4k short a day depending on how much you work.

    if you are considering this, i would HIGHLY recommend trying it out first before just diving in while out hunting, you may not like the results you see.
    Yeah it something that everybody has to fine tune for themselves. However, you can learn to manipulate your metabolism. First off I am a small guy, as I am only 5'8 with an average build. Your going to lose weight, and I will lose better than 10lbs in a week hunting like this. However, I spend the entire month leading up to this also working down my metabolism. This means teaching your body to run on less fuel per day. I only eat 1500 calories per day for 30 or 40 days leading into this to get my body ready for the months of September and october. Otherwise the reduction in caloric intake can shock your body. It wouldn't be a healthy diet long term, but it is plenty enough to keep you alive for a week. Hell people have gotten lost and lived longer than a week with nothing to eat. Based on what I lose though over the course of a week, I would say your 4k is pretty close to spot on with the energy deficit, but then again, even those of us in great shape usually still have a little bit of body fat.

  3. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    292
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 29 Times in 20 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crumy View Post
    The peanut butter and honey is a good idea. I add bacon to the sand which for more protein and calories. I am considering more sandwiches and bullion cubes. MH have a lot of sodium even people dehydrate own food but that seems like too much trouble
    The peanut butter and bacon is good. I made one this morning, my wife thought I was crazy, but I like it.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

  4. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Anderson, CA
    Posts
    189
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arrowslinger21 View Post
    Yeah it something that everybody has to fine tune for themselves. However, you can learn to manipulate your metabolism. First off I am a small guy, as I am only 5'8 with an average build. Your going to lose weight, and I will lose better than 10lbs in a week hunting like this. However, I spend the entire month leading up to this also working down my metabolism. This means teaching your body to run on less fuel per day. I only eat 1500 calories per day for 30 or 40 days leading into this to get my body ready for the months of September and october. Otherwise the reduction in caloric intake can shock your body. It wouldn't be a healthy diet long term, but it is plenty enough to keep you alive for a week. Hell people have gotten lost and lived longer than a week with nothing to eat. Based on what I lose though over the course of a week, I would say your 4k is pretty close to spot on with the energy deficit, but then again, even those of us in great shape usually still have a little bit of body fat.
    Planning on losing weight and dropping your calorie intake to 1500 to save a little pack weight has to be the worst spot to lose weight in. I would highly NOT recommend this for people who dont know exactly what they are doing. I eat as many calories as a burn and a little more. Too many people try to cut things like this and imo it is dangerous. How about start the season being 10 lbs lighter yourself and bring enough food to stay healthy in the backcountry. Cut body weight before essential weight.

  5. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Western Oregon
    Posts
    97
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grantbvfd View Post
    Planning on losing weight and dropping your calorie intake to 1500 to save a little pack weight has to be the worst spot to lose weight in. I would highly NOT recommend this for people who dont know exactly what they are doing. I eat as many calories as a burn and a little more. Too many people try to cut things like this and imo it is dangerous. How about start the season being 10 lbs lighter yourself and bring enough food to stay healthy in the backcountry. Cut body weight before essential weight.
    Well like I said, to each his own. This might not be for everyone, but even if you take more food my base kit would still be the same. I have been eating like this in the backcountry for 10 years or more now and I have never gotten sick or had any side effects from it. I am not going to go in 10lbs lighter because that would put me underweight for a longer period of time. Starting out at 150 puts me at around 10% body fat or slightly less and then by the time I come out and drop to 140 and need to put some more weight on. A guy I hunt with goes lighter than this and can go ten days on 19lbs of gear including food water and everything else minus his bow.

    Hell deer hunting on some of the high ridges we push 2-3 days without water at times let alone food because most of the watering spots are in the best deer basins. So to avoid busting them we go without for a few days and try to make it happen and then when we have to we leave.

  6. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The high plains of Colorado
    Posts
    573
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 55 Times in 49 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arrowslinger21 View Post
    Hell deer hunting on some of the high ridges we push 2-3 days without water at times let alone food because most of the watering spots are in the best deer basins. So to avoid busting them we go without for a few days and try to make it happen and then when we have to we leave.
    This seems a little harsh. I am in shape when the season comes around but I would never starve and go without water for 2 or 3 days. Day 1 headach, Day2 migrane, Day 3 flight for life is how my body handles no water at 11,000'

  7. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    2,152
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked 301 Times in 232 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arrowslinger21 View Post
    Well like I said, to each his own. This might not be for everyone, but even if you take more food my base kit would still be the same. I have been eating like this in the backcountry for 10 years or more now and I have never gotten sick or had any side effects from it. I am not going to go in 10lbs lighter because that would put me underweight for a longer period of time. Starting out at 150 puts me at around 10% body fat or slightly less and then by the time I come out and drop to 140 and need to put some more weight on. A guy I hunt with goes lighter than this and can go ten days on 19lbs of gear including food water and everything else minus his bow.

    Hell deer hunting on some of the high ridges we push 2-3 days without water at times let alone food because most of the watering spots are in the best deer basins. So to avoid busting them we go without for a few days and try to make it happen and then when we have to we leave.
    Kevin,

    I am with the others brother,

    You are asking for trouble with some of this stuff. You might be burning 5-6K in calories a day (or more) in high country hunting, and you are putting yourself in a really big calorie deficit, which will cause your body to start converting protein into energy, and then your really on the losing end.

    As far as 2-3 days without water, that is just plain dangerous, even more so if you are at high elevation. Dehydration and elevation sickness exacerbated by dehydration will affect your ability to think, and sometimes have fatal consequences.

    Be carefull out there.

  8. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Golden State
    Posts
    1,361
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 70 Times in 70 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've tryed cutting a couple pounds with food one time, never again, there's nothing worse than not having enough for hard activity like backcountry hunting, I'm very active and burn lots of caliores. I'd rather buck up and carry the extra weight than go with out. After the first day or two the food wieght go's down anyways.JMO
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

  9. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Blue Springs, MO
    Posts
    945
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 114 Times in 92 Posts
    Congratulations
    2
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arrowslinger21 View Post

    Hell deer hunting on some of the high ridges we push 2-3 days without water at times let alone food because most of the watering spots are in the best deer basins. So to avoid busting them we go without for a few days and try to make it happen and then when we have to we leave.
    You go 2-3 days without water? In the high country? And continue to hunt hard?

    I'm not a big guy, but if I don't drink at least 2 liters a day when I'm exerting myself like I do when I'm hunting hard, I get sick. I'm not sure I could sit on my couch for 3 days without water..

  10. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 24 Times in 15 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Instead of going without water and not eating enough food, wouldn't it be better to build up your legs and carry in enough food and water?

    Granted, people CAN live for a week with no food, but is that any way to hunt?

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Tikka T3 Lite Stock
    By arwaterfowler in forum Guns, Muzzleloaders and Ammo
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-01-2014, 04:16 PM
  2. First Lite and Russel
    By switchbackkd in forum Other
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-09-2012, 11:00 AM
  3. First Lite outer layers
    By Coyoteman in forum Other
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-22-2011, 07:44 PM
  4. first lite chama top
    By Mwalczak in forum Other
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-24-2011, 08:51 PM
  5. First Lite Kanab pants
    By Joe Hulburt in forum General Hunting
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-17-2011, 10:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •