Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Packing Lite

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    You go 2-3 days without water? In the high country? And continue to hunt hard?

I'm not a big guy, but if I don't drink at least 2 liters a day when I'm exerting myself like I do when I'm hunting hard, I get sick. I'm not sure I could sit on my couch for 3 days without water..
    ^^ This. Intentional dehydration just to keep pack weight down is foolish.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Never in Doubt View Post
    Instead of going without water and not eating enough food, wouldn't it be better to build up your legs and carry in enough food and water?

Granted, people CAN live for a week with no food, but is that any way to hunt?
    Mule deer hunting above the tree line is often 2-3 days of glassing followed by one attempt at a stalk when everything lines up. Im not advocating that anyone needs to hunt how I do, nor should they. Everyone needs to make their own call. If you do recall the whole reason this thread started was because someone asked me what was in my pack and so I laid it out in writing. Everyone can choose to carry what they want. Im not going to carry anything more because you dont think I eat enough, and you shouldnt carry any less because I think its overkill.

This was simply to state how much my pack weighs and what I take. If you don't like it tough... I am carrying it at the end of the day not you.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Never in Doubt View Post
    ^^ This. Intentional dehydration just to keep pack weight down is foolish.
    I didn't say i took no water, but most spots we hunt deer in there is no water source. At 8lbs per gallon I will carry a max of 1 gallon and I can make that last for a good 3 days if it is predominately ruled by glassing. My body is also going to be hydrated to my ears before I head in. This only occurs in very specific spots where there is no other option. If there is any way to get water I will do it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think most of us are just pointing out that this can be extremely dangerous. There are a lot of people new to backcountry hunting and this would be a horrible way for them to cut pack weight. If it works for you and you feel comfortable doing it good for you. I would highly recommend other people NOT to do this. There are others places you can cut weight. Most backcountry hunters should eat 2500-3000 calories a day and atleast 2 litres of water. I try to drink 3-4 litres a day.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by arrowslinger21 View Post
    I didn't say i took no water, but most spots we hunt deer in there is no water source. At 8lbs per gallon I will carry a max of 1 gallon and I can make that last for a good 3 days if it is predominately ruled by glassing. My body is also going to be hydrated to my ears before I head in. This only occurs in very specific spots where there is no other option. If there is any way to get water I will do it.
    One more thing on this note before i go to sleep. Notice how I said that the water is inaccessible because that's where the deer are. A quick 1 hr hike and your at water. It's not like I have no opportunity to get water if things go south, but it can be a game of attrition at times. I'm not trying to hurt myself, and I don't feel like I sacrifice anything. This is just the way I enjoy hunting and where I feel from restraints of everyday life. If something goes wrong someday then so be it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    A gallon for 2 days, maybe 3, would be doable for me, provided I wasn't doing much of anything for the vast majority of the time.. And, if it wasn't hot as hail. I originally thought you were indicating you had no water for 2-3 days.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I do understand the severity of dehydration as I have had heat stroke once. It wasn't because of a backcountry hunt or lack of water but due to different circumstances all together. None the less I almost died and so I know the reality of it. I know what that feels like now and I know where to draw the line. On an average day I will drink close to a gallon or sometimes slightly more. Trying to skimp on water is not something I want to do, but it is something I have done and will do in certain situations. I would encourage guys to hydrate adequately as I believe it's a big thing. I wrote a several page article on hydration last year and what it does to help your body. My point was that food is the last thing I am worried about. I'm on a 10 day fast right now for no reason pertaining to hunting but rather just for health benefits. Food isn't always as necessary as we may think. You need some but all too I often I see guys headed out on the last day of their hunt with stockpiles of food because they overpacked. I'd rather be slightly hungry than to be lugging that bulk around all the time. Last year in Oregons archery season I added up that I covered 140 miles of ground on my legs in 15 days of hunting. 10 extra lbs for 150 miles is a lot of wasted energy expended carrying a heavy pack in my opinion.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    all too I often I see guys headed out on the last day of their hunt with stockpiles of food because they overpacked.
    Guilty.. I think last year I ate about 2/3rds of what I packed in, if that..

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am glad you posted some more info, Kevin. There is a big difference between making a gallon last a couple days and going without a couple days.

It seems like you have what your body needs figured out. I try to take in at least 2500 calories a day in the woods, and still drop weight out there.

I think planning for 2500 a day is a good start for a new backcountry hunter.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Mule deer hunting above the tree line is often 2-3 days of glassing followed by one attempt at a stalk when everything lines up. Im not advocating that anyone needs to hunt how I do, nor should they. Everyone needs to make their own call. If you do recall the whole reason this thread started was because someone asked me what was in my pack and so I laid it out in writing. Everyone can choose to carry what they want. Im not going to carry anything more because you dont think I eat enough, and you shouldnt carry any less because I think its overkill.

This was simply to state how much my pack weighs and what I take. If you don't like it tough... I am carrying it at the end of the day not you.

You did state you sometimes go 2-3 days without water. I'm glad you clarified. The way I understood it the first time, it sounded very unsafe. Good luck on your hunting this year!
    Last edited by Never in Doubt; 02-12-2013 at 10:00 AM.