Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jenbickel View Post
    I try to stalk up on stuff I don't want to kill also. It does help! Except I tried stalking up on someone in the dark once and almost got punched in the face. So be wary
    I like to do the sneak up on critters, even when I'm not trying to kill them. It's fun and I think it just makes for good practice. I took this picture a couple days ago sneaking up on some blacktail bedding up on a rocky ridge.

I saw an article resently written by Remi Warren. He shaved down some lightweight foam sandles and wore them in-between two pairs socks. Keeps feet quiet, it's pretty quick and easy to do and it also saves your feet from some of those pesky cactus, shale, and stickers.

That made me smile jenbickel about stalking and amost getting punched in the face. Surly some good advice to be wary on what you sneak up on.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jenbickel View Post
    I try to stalk up on stuff I don't want to kill also. It does help! Except I tried stalking up on someone in the dark once and almost got punched in the face. So be wary
    Gads, Jenbickel you crack me up!! If you came sneaking up with a weapon from out of the dark, I'd probably still be running!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I usually anticipate which direction the animal is going to move after he is spooked & send my buddy in for the stalk. Once his cover is blown, I take a shot. It has worked in my favor a few times! LOL

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks guys, some good information here! I may go up in the summer and just practice stalking deer with a camera. I know gas is expensive, but it would be some valuable experience.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Check the wind. Figure out a stalking route. Then get in to about 100 yards and drop off the the boots and everything else I don't need.
    Once you get to where you get into comfortable range stop and wait. Don't force anything by pushing in as close as you can. I learned this the hard way when I snuck into 15 yards of a 170+ buck this year and ended up not having a shot! Also try to keep some water on you during your wait. It sucks to be stuck in the heat for hours while being seperated from your water!
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL
    TT Xtreme FC Pro
    Custom Black Gold Ascent 4 pin
    GT Velocity 300's tipped with 125 Shuttle t's weighing 490 grains!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by nvarcher View Post
    Check the wind. Figure out a stalking route. Then get in to about 100 yards and drop off the the boots and everything else I don't need.
    Once you get to where you get into comfortable range stop and wait. Don't force anything by pushing in as close as you can. I learned this the hard way when I snuck into 15 yards of a 170+ buck this year and ended up not having a shot! Also try to keep some water on you during your wait. It sucks to be stuck in the heat for hours while being seperated from your water!
    Getting close is good, getting too close too soon is disaster. If the big guy doesn't get up one of his buddies will and there you are with no shot and a deer looking at you from close range. Same thing happened to me. A spike I didn't see at came around the bush I was sitting behind. Everybody spooked and I never saw the big buck again.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yep happened to me in a worse situation in 2011 also! I got busted by a small 4 point while closing the distance on a 200 inch typical!
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL
    TT Xtreme FC Pro
    Custom Black Gold Ascent 4 pin
    GT Velocity 300's tipped with 125 Shuttle t's weighing 490 grains!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    So what if you are 50% sure you can get into bow range on a buck, do you go for it or do you back off and try again some other day? haha

I knew where a buck liked to bed down during the day this past season. On top of a open ridge, in some pine bushes, on the west side of a huge rock. The footing was loose rock, I wouldn't be able to see him until I was within 10-15 yards, but the wind was consistant. I thought I could make it work. I crept around the large boulder, trying to keep quiet on the loose rocks. I took it really slow. But he knew I was there somehow and I heard him take off just before I could peer around the corner. Smart guy. In hindsight, there was no possible way to get at that buck while he was bedded down there. He could either see you and smell you, or hear you.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It all depends on the specific situation, but I would say I would usually drop my pack at some point before the shot on a deer. I have never taken my boots off and probably wont, and to be honest I dont think that part matters that much. Above the treeline a lot of things make noise in the rocks, including the deer. Noise alone has never spooked a buck for me, just made him look my direction. If you stay still and in cover, the noise will eventually leave their mind and you can go back to business.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Never in Doubt View Post
    So what if you are 50% sure you can get into bow range on a buck, do you go for it or do you back off and try again some other day? haha

I knew where a buck liked to bed down during the day this past season. On top of a open ridge, in some pine bushes, on the west side of a huge rock. The footing was loose rock, I wouldn't be able to see him until I was within 10-15 yards, but the wind was consistant. I thought I could make it work. I crept around the large boulder, trying to keep quiet on the loose rocks. I took it really slow. But he knew I was there somehow and I heard him take off just before I could peer around the corner. Smart guy. In hindsight, there was no possible way to get at that buck while he was bedded down there. He could either see you and smell you, or hear you.
    In this situation it might be good to try and catch the buck on his way back there to bed. He's gotta get up and feed, and if he always beds in that spot, you could try to be there waiting on him..