Thread: Wyo 22 Archery

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wyo 22 Archery

I have max elk points and have been trying to decide on a good unit for an archery hunt. Has anyone archery hunted unit 22? I antelope hunted in 68 last year and spent a few hours driving some of the low country in 22 just to take a look around. I like the looks of the country, just wondering if anyone has any experience in the unit. Sounds like there are good numbers of elk, how big are the top end bulls? 320? 340? what would be my odds of getting a chance to hunt a 330" class bulls in a 14 day hunt? I dont have much interest in rifle hunting the unit, would just take my chances with my bow and see what happens. Thanks for any help.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Even with max points your odds are only about 15%, given last year's applicants. Several groups pump this area as a great unit, so odds keep getting longer, not better as more people apply there. At least you know the unit a bit. Most people that apply have never even set foot in the area. Adjacent areas with more tags have the same elk quality, with a realistic chance of drawing with max points.
    llp

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Right you are shedhead, real good area...big bulls, tough terrain, and piss-poor drawing odds. I drew #22 once...in 25 years.
    Got a nice 6x6 though.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I will be paying special if I apply, last year the odds were around 30%, regular price was around 5% i believe. I expect those odds to get worse this year, assuming some people may pay the price now and try to get out before the increase in 2014. Either way any odds above 20% are great for a good elk tag in the west right now, in my book. I believe the general declining numbers and quality in the NW Wyo units have also contributed to the draw odds here, not just that the units have been hyped by Eastmans. As a side-note, Huntin Fool doesnt even rate 22, 24, 111, 118 as even a "good" unit (thankfully!), if they ever do, we will really see a draw odds shift. Guess it just depends on who you listen to. Thanks for the input.