Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meat Grinders?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Question Meat Grinders?

Anyone process there own meet? If so what kind of meat grinders do you use? Anyone use the cabelas commercial meat grinder? Reason asking is pops wants one for Xmas and were tired of paying the local butchers for sticks and other ground up are games we cut it ourselves and everything just the grinder missing is our issue lol anyways just wanted to see everyone's input and good info as always thanks?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have one I bought a long time ago at Cabelas. It works well but I've been looking at getting an upgrade. The Cabelas one I have is more or less good for making sausage and such but perhaps more of a chore for large volume. I think the one I have is more or less for small volume.

Steven Rinella from that hunting show Meateaters had the below recommended one for his Christmas list that looked pretty good that I was looking at.

http://themeateater.com/2012/meateat...s-guide-day-6/

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 48 Times in 7 Posts
    Growing up, my dad had a commercial grade meat grinder that worked awesome and we ground a lot of burger through it.

I don't know how well they work, but there is an attachment for the heavy duty Kitchen Aid mixers. The reason I bring this up is a lot of homes have one of these mixers. My wife and I have been talking about getting one. Here is a link:

http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/...ttachment.aspx

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I bought the Cabelas 1 horsepower model a couple of years ago and I love it. It has worked fantastically and I have no complaints. The unit is of very high quality and I've yet to have any problems with it. I would highly recommend it.
    Can't spell scum without U&M... Go 'Cats!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My brother and I have put over sixty deer and a few bear through a 1hp cabelas grinder and it is like knew still. It works great for stuffing sausage casings as well. I recommend getting the foot peddle on and of it makes stuffing sausage a lot easier.
    Carl

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have processed about 8 deer, an elk and one antelope. Most of the meat was made into hamburger, but the past couple years I started making a lot of slim-jim or beef sticks. For those I find a shooter workers better after grinding. But you asked about grinders. I use the old school hand crank model. Porker? it's also sold at Cabelas. It works like a champ and goes through meat pretty quickly. Not as fast as a large electric, but gets the job done in a reasonable amount of time and a heck of a lot cheaper. I couldn't justify the price of an electric and really didnt want another appliance to store. I already have a smoker, dehydrator or to many other appliances. If someone is ever considering a hand grinder my only recommendation is to buy a bigger one. They come in all sizes (volume) and the bigger ones go faster because you can put more in it. They last forever. I've had mine for 10 years and no real sign of wear.

I also tried the Kitchen Aid attachment. We have a professional grade mixer for baking and it has a strong motor that can be used for all kinds special tasks. One of the attachments is a grinder. The grinder attachment is a total piece of junk. The main grinding cutter was made of hard plastic! It just didn't cut the meat or push it through fast enough. I went back to the hand grinder...it was faster. I know that's not what you asked about, but thought I would mention it in case others read this thread.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 12 Times in 2 Posts
    It all depends on how much you plan to use it. I have a cheap grinder, cost $100. Have used it for 3 years, ground up 3 Antelope and 2 deer. No problems at all. It's a lot louder than my parents commercial grade grinder, but i do my grinding in the garage so not a problem.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I have a commercial grinder that I bought at an auction many years ago. In this case bigger is actually better. Mine is supposed to to 300+ pounds per hour. I've used it for many years without a problem. My hunting pard has the Cabelas ihp model and it work great too. Fact is, i'll be using mine later today grinding up some of my antelope and making Bratwurst. Then I'll crank up my smoker and smoke them before I package and freeze for later use on the BarBee! I'll also be smoking a couple of full pieces of backstrap to BBQ later also.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 9 Posts
    I have a Cabelas 1 1/2 hp grinder that I bought in 2005. It works great and I have never had any problems with it! I got the mixer attachment for it 2 years ago and it works great as well. The sausage tubes that come with it will work but they are not great and I am going to get a stuffer before next year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I too have the Cabelas 1 hp. It works great and I use the sausage and Pattie makers too. Easy to clean. Foot pedal would be helpful, I have an old foot pedal from a sewing machine I plan to adapt for sausage stuffing. I've read reviews where some guys weren't satisfied, but I think the key to grinding is doing it very cold , or even slightly frozen. The only time I ever have problems is when the meat gets too warm and it stick in the grinder. Very happy with mine. Big enough to get the job done in a reasonable amount of time, without it becoming a pain to get it from the storage spot.